What would YOU pay for as 1st party DLC? (other than game stability)

Obviously just as a disclosure yes we want a stable game first. But, if and when all the random CTD’s and such are patched out:

What kind of content are you willing to pay MS/Asobo for?

I know the type of things that I cannot assume would be free updates but I would pay 20-30 bucks for. Based on what they have said, world updates will be free, but things like helicopters would be paid DLC. I assume that since Asobo is aware that 3rd party devs are much better at producing complicated airframe systems and such that most DLC would be things that integrate some kind of new engine function that involves backend programming on their part. I know that this stuff is controversial right now but I can’t help but think about where this sim could expand upon things.

Heres a few things that conceptually I would be a sucker for. Each pack I assume would have some kind of new game engine function (that is available and improved in base game to realize the DLC and make it available to 3rd parties), some custom airports, and a few new airframes. I get the feeling it would be similar in concept to how they have done the premium/deluxe upgrades (whose planes I hope will be polished up a bit to get working properly currently). Any airframes added I assume will be relatively simple implementation comparable to the best basegame planes rather than study level stuff. Im no expert so im sure my selections are pretty basic.

1. Helicopters: this is a given and yes I would pay money for Helicopters. I think that this would pair well with photogrammetry in big cities because large buildings and some POI buildings tend to have Helipads on the roof (just take a look around Tokyo). I have said before that I believe that helicopters would be an expansion that improves the game “more than the sum of its parts” because you are able to experience current world content in a totally new way the world over. As they said this will require backend engine work to add the functionality and that work would be available to 3rd parties once its in engine.

Locations:
I would like them to add support for helipads not only at airports but also atop rooftops in select areas, maybe even hospitals, or if they are really ambitious, add very unique places for helicopter pads (ships, static or mobile), Oil platforms, Sealand, Helicopter Search and rescue airports,

Helicopters id envision to see in pack:
Bell 206 Jetranger
Hughes Model 500
Eurocopter EC135
Boeing CH-47 Chinook (yeah right)
Augusta Westland AW109 (fancy retractable landing gear)

Additional Game Engine functions:
I think “tagging” locations on the ground with a click that puts a UI node would be neat if they had SAR missions. You could literally click outside to mark a spot on the ground and radio it back.
Spotlight (could be heavy on the lighting engine)
Landing on moving ships.
Possible missions: Rooftop landing challenges, sea platform challenges, SAR, Heavy lift, Ship landing, city tours, firefighting, bush cargo hauling

2. Astronomy: Basically a DLC that adds astronomical themed expansion content. See my previous thoughts on it here AR Astronomy Overlay . I can see it being done in conjunction with other aeronautical science organizations or companies. I don’t really think they will ever add spaceflight, but high altitude and maybe LEO content far in the future. There are most certainly engine limitations that are probably not worth fixing. That doesnt mean that there isnt a lot of cool stuff that involves the beautiful starfield and/or experimental aeronautical science. I can see them improving the skybox and astronomical simulation system, with enough detail to show constellations overlaid, planets etc… Hopefully to such an extent that they can add an Astronavigation function to the game for flying vintage planes the old fashioned way.

It could also have sort of an experimental/science plane theme as NASA and ESA have always had many cool experimental craft. It also gives the Asobo a way to get non-military “fighter jets” in.

Locations:
Many “airports” that are tied to NASA or the ESA. Cape Canaveral, Baikonur Cosmodrome (or the airport nearby), Guiana Space center, one of SpaceX test sites, etc. Check this map of spaceports, most of which I believe are coupled with terrestrial airports Spaceports

Airframes:
NASA Grumman X-29 (as long as it has awesome flight dynamics)
F-16XL
Super Guppy (lol probably not, maybe 3rd party payware)
Something oldschool with and astrodome bubble on top. Maybe an Electra or a old warbird.
Bell X-1
NASA ER-2 (U2)

High altitude flight (FL700+)
Supersonic Flight (would be needed for many other things)
Astronavigation (nautical sextant)
Detaching From larger planes in the case of the X-1.
Improved skybox and starfield simulation (its already awesome though).
Possible missions: Experimental plane landing challenges, astronavigation challenges, real avionics failures (have to switch to astronavigation), chase planes

3. Seaplanes: I really want to see the seaplane support supported in a major way. I know that it is basically in right now, but we do not have a proper seaplane yet. There are a quite a few things that need to be improved before we will have some really nice seaplane content. At some point, id like seaplane bases to be a part of the world map, and that addons like On-Air will support jobs between them. This would involve them being added as real seaplane bases and programmed in.

Locations: Basically all over the North American Pacific Northwest and Alaska. Specific places include Rosario Resort in Orcas Island WA (orbx better model the resort and marina), Lake Hood in Anchorage AK, Juneau AK, Lake union in Seattle WA, Keehi Lagoon in Honolulu HI.

Planes id envision to see in pack:
Allow Floats on all reasonable base aircraft like the 172 and the Cub
de Havilland Canada DHC-2 Beaver
PBY Catalina
AVIC AG600 Kunlong Very large seaplane

We need seaplane bases as airports on world maps along with all the functions that entails in game.
Wake modeling
Better float physics
Better Marinas and boat traffic

4. Antarctica/Arctic: So I can see a world update with Antarctica and the Arctic regions completely overhauled. Current avionics in game go berserk over the poles, so that would need to be fixed, id hope we get that for free at some point. This DLC would be things that are related. Ski’s on many applicable base planes, better weather physics for snowstorms and icing/deice. Theres probably a lot of functionality that im not thinking of right now that involve extremely low temperatures that would have to be modeled.

Locations:
Premium McMurdo Station, Antarctica
Teniente R. Marsh Airport, Antarctica
Svalbard
Prudhoe Bay, AK (737’s land here)
Alert, Canada (Northernmost in world)
Iqualuit, Canada

Planes id envision to see in pack:
Skis on all applicable planes in base game (cubs etc.)
LC-130
Antonov AN-24
BN-02 Islander
Basler BT-67 (Who wouldnt want a modernized turboprop DC-3)

Ice landing strips
Skis on planes
Heavy duty icing/deicing physics, with deicing ground crew. Maybe heating requirements.
Better blizzards
Tons of other low temperature airplane problems
Possible missions: Landing challenges, Resupply missions, weather missions

Others that I wont go into detail right now (i will if people are interested), many of which 3rd parties will probably do much better planewise:
Classic planes and airfields (along with airports that dont exist anymore, or historical imagery reproductions with the Blackshark AI touch. Spitfire, DC-3, P-51, Mosquito, Sopwith Camel etc.
Carrier Landings - goes without saying, F/A-18, F-4, C-2 Greyhound, Mig 29
Gliders (hopefully free lol)
Lost airports Kai-Tak, Meigs (done pro)
And the first time I think anyone has ever mentioned this: Blimps :drooling_face:

Anyways, let me know what you all think. Other than a fool and his money may soon be parted :sweat_smile:

To be continued…

4 Likes

These are great ideas, and I think you’re on to something. I’m really mostly interested in airliners myself, but I can imagine springing for the seaplanes or an arctic pack if it seems really cool and adds a lot. Your suggestion of a high-altitude themed DLC with spaceports is really cool.

To be honest though, I’ve been sort of disappointed with the premium deluxe edition because of the state of the 787. I never want to fly it because I don’t want to keep hitting weird bugs when flying it. I’m certainly going to wait for thorough reviews before I buy first-party DLC, and even then I might wait for patches and a sale.

1 Like

Yeah I totally understand. There really isnt much in the premium/deluxe package I fly at the moment even though I very much would like to. (OK I fly the 172 steamer quite a bit). I don’t want the same thing to happen in regards to things just being unfinished and buggy. But I also think in addition to airports and planes, it has to have some kind of game changing functionality included to really justify the price.

I still feel the content that is in the premium/deluxe respectively is pretty good value for the price - IF they end up finishing it. I think it was about 30 dollars for 5 planes and 5 premium airports. Now they obviously wouldnt be study level even if all the current functionality worked properly.

I feel that a bit more polish, (well a lot more polish in regards to planes as complex as the 787) and 30 dollars for 5 planes, 5 deluxe airports and some new game functionality is a little steep but you know once every 6 months or so it would not be bad. I just hope that they have a reasonable amount of content kinda like what I outlined above. But obviously I dont know.

Also I believe they will be very careful since they work with 3rd parties to make sure not to step on their toes. So stuff that is known to be worked on like the twin otter probably wouldnt make it in (but see this wont actually scratch the itch because it would be current seaplane functionality, there needs to be engine changes by Asobo that affects things only they can change in the world). That goes the same for things like the CRJ and probably even the DC-3. Maybe they will actually contract 3rd parties to produce DLC planes like they did with the Japan airports and GAYA.

Helicopters for sure. But I would like to see some kind of career modes like firefighting or rescue missions etc.

3 Likes

Yeah, honestly I didn’t really like hearing that they don’t want to “step on the toes” of 3rd party developers by making content that is too good. Like, first of all I don’t give a ■■■■ about the 3rd party developers. Second, don’t use that as an excuse for the poor state of your planes! If Asobo can do something better for less money, then they should.

I agree with you on the value in the upgraded packages, which is why I bought them. I don’t actually remember which of the GA aircraft are in which package, but I’m pretty sure I have flown all of them and they’re in pretty good shape to me. It’s mostly the business jets and airliners that need some TLC.

But yes, if they have enough content, especially world-changing content that opens up new kinds of flight, then I can see that being worth it. I’m excited to see what they come up with!

2 Likes

Career mode server.

I know they won’t make it but if it was first party, they’d probably have a decent experience in-game.

2 Likes

In the Seaplanes category, the Dornier Seastar and Viking CL-515 would be welcome, but they need to get the ability to lower the gear in the water first. But I’d give my left pinkie toe (not really) for a really nice L1049 Super Constellation or L1649 Starliner.

1 Like

Id really like to see that, but I know they have talked about it being too gamey or something for “simmers”. I dont know if I believe that, but also I kind of feel that services like OnAir do a fantastic job of implementing a career mode in ways that I really dont think the actual sim developers need to. It has way more functionality than I would expect from an in-game career mode, and if Asobo decided that they wanted to throw those services a bone, they could tweak the game engine to make it easier or more thoroughly integrate through sim-connect.

I do want to see way more types of missions and challenges, and at some point id like to see their interpretation of a career mode. Right now, the world is basically just airports and scenery. Over time id like them to come up with more procedural interaction - like randomly generated “missions” - for example a Search and Rescue generator with some kind of spotting and position relaying functionality.

I think they are worried that if they do it, it would be a lot of resources and it just wouldnt feel realistic enough for many peoples standards. Its just one of the things they want to leave to third parties I guess.

I am so ready for some classic airliners. I think that is one of the areas that third parties have done pretty well about producing in other sims. But a classic airliners pack would be incredible if they could do them justice. DC-3, Super Constellation, 727, DC-6, Boeing 307. And they could add some really gaudy optional retro airports or something. Preferably ones that dont exist anymore so you can leave them on without overriding modern ones (I know thats a weird concept but a lot of us are doing that unofficially with Meigs field and Kai-Tak. Check this site out regarding former airfields in the USA http://www.airfields-freeman.com/ )

2 Likes

No contest for me - seaplanes. Real seaplanes (sorry Icon) with actual effects - splash, getting on the step, glassy vs choppy water, etc. Husky Amphib, Super Cub on floats, Caravan Amphib, Cessna 180… so many possibilities. Earning and using my seaplane rating was, by far, the most fun I’ve ever had flying. Up here in Minnesota, it’s a huge part of the aviation community.

3 Likes

More missions or events would be nice. And a faster rotation.

Just need to hand out points or whatever so people can say they participated. Perhaps humanitarian drop offs to some country hit by disaster or covid extraction flights…(too soon?)

1 Like

Yeah I think that cool stuff, I think the landing challenges are pretty simple and clean and they probably want to keep the other missions the same. I do think there just needs to be more interaction with the game world on the ground (other than airports), so its interesting to see what they might end up doing with that.

I’ll definitely will be interested by seaplanes as I’m on the West Coast… Most seabases are near cities as you know and It make you see them in a different way.

1 Like

Seaplanes I think are a very important addition and I’m sure (I hope) that the base functionality will be expanded in a free update. Someone mentioned splash physics and ive read that the water physics with seaplanes is exactly the same as FSX right now, but they are looking to expand it. So any DLC I think should take it above and beyond: focusing on premium seaplane bases, scenery, multiple planes and a big push of the functionality in some way. I think when you are down at that level you will want to have a lot more detail in the marina and sea traffic. It might not end up being “paid DLC” in essence, but id hope if it is it has a lot of cool content.

You must be new to this. With every release of this franchise, Microsoft’s stock aircraft have always been way off the mark (especially the jets/airliners) and it’s the 3rd party devs who are the ones who put all the care and attention into making detailed and realistic aircraft.

Third parties aren’t even going to have problems selling remakes of stock aircraft such as the 747 / 787 , because the difference in quality between Asobo’s aircraft and theirs will be like night and day.

1 Like

My wants are really quite modest, but so far ASOBO do not seem able to produce.

An ASOBO C150 or C172 that can be flown realistically, in their Aerodynamically modeled world, and the necessary SDK information for Addon developers to make their own, more complex and exacting planes, that can then also fly correctly in the ASOBO world.

After that, everything else is just GRAVY, but 1st we need “THE MEAT”

Real time AI traffic.

1 Like

Do you mean real-time AI traffic with the real corresponding aircraft and livery? If so, I’m in… that would definitely add to the realism of the Flight sim… I guess not every livery can be done or every aircraft but the most common ones.

2 Likes

Don’t get me wrong, I’m fine with not everything in the cockpit being functional, but is it not normal to expect that FMC will at least work? For example, I’d like VNAV to work properly most of the time. And when you put in an approach, it would be nice to have the plane follow the approach from the next waypoint, not circle back around to the last waypoint BEFORE the approach starts and then backtrack again. That stupid engine 1 bug in the A320 was also ridiculous.
I’m looking forward to the PMDG 737 and will certainly purchase it, but I also just feel that the planes included in the simulator should have basic flyability.

Without a doubt! For years I’ve wanted a stock airliner that doesn’t feel like it’s rocket-powered.