What's really missing for Scenery in the SDK / DevMode

So, we’ve all been fiddling or seriously working on Scenery here.

I can understand the DevMode is a Beta stage of the finished tool, but there are a couple things every scenery maker SHOULDN’T stay without, at all.

1. HEIGHTMAPS integration
    WE CAN’T just use the tools given. it’s not a “we can but we find hard doing so”. WE CAN’T.
    Because you can’t model a river (which is slightly sloped in the best case, if not a lot in the worst) with rectangles.
    THERE MUST be heightmap import support, getting DEM data and making the simulator generate terrain, blending it with the bordering one. THIS MUST be done

1a. ELSE Polygons must be powered in efficiency, giving the ability to set the height of each single vertex placed, and interpolating it, so we can create our own slopes based on real shapes, not squares.

1. UI XML Editor
    Many XMLs, have to get an UI integration for direct editing INSIDE the DevMode, like services, or Radio freq. Creating them outside of the sim, generates conflicts and building issues many times. Also unexperienced first timers have to headbutt their keyboard just to look for the proper infos

2. SimObjects clarity
    There has to be some clarity on how to create SimObjects. tbh is one of the subjects which lacks of information the most outside of planes.

3. Blender Support
    MS has spent quite a lot of money to become a Corporate Gold Member of the Blender Foundation’s Development Fund. What for? For developing official toolsets for 3D Studio Max only?
    I mean…is this serious?

Please, just upvote this, let them hear we’ve got more than “a few small bugs” in the SDK.
Sometimes being a developer, makes you hard to think with the end user head. You just know things. End users, don’t.

51 Likes

I second everything, from the missing terraforming tools, even for very basic terrain operations to the absolute lack of any documentation about the usage of many functionalities in the SDK.
Honestly, it is really absurd to have to edit XML files manually, outside of the game, just to add AWOS or TWR to an airport.

3 Likes

Yes totally agree. I would also like a better integration of stuff like city editing roads air traffic building hight and style of air generated ones.

Basicl the idea behind it would be so ever used could easily recreat his own home town. This information could be updated to the game so everyone can enjoy it without the need to download stuff from 100 shady web sites.

3 Likes

IDK, this sim has potential but SOMETIMES it seems like they don’t just wanna use it.

The SDK extends its lifespan to almost infinite but it’s seeing barely a few updates and with minor stuff lately.

The game keeps on getting bugs over bugs to the point that each sim start is a russian roulette, if it doesn’t work the only way around is nonsensely “restart your computer for some weird unknown reason”.

And flight dynamics has a lot of potential, but planes are just OP, and this isn’t difficulty scalability, because having all assistance ON and a realistic flight model, would make fly a Beechcraft a joke anyways, BUT at lease who wants to play in realistic ways, could.
But the savage has impossible climb rates, the CJ4 has poor quality in numbers…seems more like a Star Wars ship.

As always, at least give us the tools, so Asobo can take its time to fix the game, while the community does temporarily by itself, as it has always been in any flight simulator on the market, from the very first

1 Like

I 100% agree with this, would also like to see some docs for planes too.
I love MSFS, it’s great, but there are many things that need improvement.

1 Like

The Docs are missing FOR EVERYTHING.
It’s a simulator, and the SDK is already capable of the 70% of what should be done, but I can’t find, for instance, a way to make a Weather Station rotate using wind speed. Why?
Because there are no clues of the weather and other variables that can be given in the XML file.

It’s really driving me mad as hell!

Absolutely, I agree with every single point here! Really hope that MS/Asobo will give us scenery developers appropriate tools.

3 Likes

Yeah I too think there is a lot more they should be doing to improve the sdk and documentation and I second the call for a way to modify roads and traffic too. Sick of seeing cars and heavy good vehicles yoyoing in a dead end or driving through each other on a two way road. It really kills the immersion in my opinion, road vehicles in motion look so cartoonish.

2 Likes

It seems like somebody managed to edit OSM data, the free Saint Moritz scenery got some OSM data based VFR elements placement BUT, we just can’t rely on reverse engineering all the time to find a way to build without using that same reverse engineering used to discover that method.

That’s a big lack of documentation. I can understand a full documentation going rapidly out of date because of the SDK beta state and frequent updates, but not the lack of information itself.

Let’s just hope these tools are developed soon, even tho I am seriously annoyed by the official statement they had about Blender tools not being in the plans.

I ain’t gonna spend half of my wage per month on a 3D modeling program, and i know a lotta people feel like those especially after seeing MS giving a monetary push to the Blender Foundation that way past year. Once I read that i thought a Blender official tool was just…normal, but it seems that it isn’t.

I think for now the dev focus is more on getting the game up to snatch, with how many problems they are having. I know only a few updates to the SDK were released, but for example since the last update I had 0 crashes in the SDK which is great.

Terraformin --> absolutely better tools required. I hate that I cannot really put a wall next to a runway, because it will just mess up the runway sides. Or if I set the falloff to 1, I will have these weird looking triangles.

1 Like

For Blender support, I find the Blender2MSFS a pretty powerful plugin, which works very well. Does it not work for you in some way?

Have you tried opening up Babylon exporter for 3DS and see the difference? The plugin is awesome but c’mon, when it comes to get official support you know things just work out of the box (or you will have support for them at least).

And as I said the plugin itself is awesome but I find the Animation export a Russian roulette when it comes of rigged meshes. If you can, for instance, get a Mixamo animation on Your character and import into the sim without spaghettification and mesh distortion, i am all ears to hear the story :smiley:

Hi,

Asobo is not MS, so why they need to use Blender , they work with 3dmax same like i do for 10 years long time. Asobo have also nothing with blender so i dont see any reason to create blender exporters by Asobo.

By the way, some Alpha sdk testers already asked for a blender exporter almost year ago.

For a simple reason. Because WE ARE NOT Asobo :wink: :grinning:

Look around for moddable game. It’s not just “we use This then you use this too”. Bohemia interactive tools have a really bad external toolset, but wow, they made one tool for each purpose and for 3D modeling they both supported Blender and 3DStudio with the exporters.

What about Unreal series? It could have just forced support for Quixel Megascans only and let you create those then buy a subscription, instead of making it free with a good packaging tool, which allows import from any format (avoiding you to use exporters at all)

Almost ANY GAME which has modability out there and DOESN’T rely on standard 3D formats using an official importer, gives you an official exporter instead of supporting one software and expect anybody to get it, being it free or paid. Because a lot of people would be disappointed and disoriented also if it was official Blender Support only. Because someone who’s spent 30 years modeling on 3DS won’t easily move / learn blender from scratch.

Asobo glTF is a proprietary file format. If it was standard glTF with an official “FS Importer” into the sdk nobody would have cared but since the world is wide and 3DSMax ain’t free nor cheap, a Blender Official exporter seems DUE to me. Because otherwise this is a promotional campaign for Autodesk more than an SDK

3 Likes

I totaly agree. Upvoted :slight_smile:

May I ask a @ModeratorTeam to move this in wishlist since I had many requests to do so for a proper upvote? Thank you kindly

Yes! This is exactly what we need. A lot of the country where I live has buildings of the wrong height placed and it ruins the immersion. You should be able to edit this locally, or even submit these changes to Asobo to get approved so that the earth could become more realistic with the help of the community

i agree with all. Bring the height map adjustment

1 Like

If you @WheezierMaple8 and @xKumata agree, be sure to put a “LIKE” (Top of the page, above the first post near the title bar) to the same request in WishList, and spread the word!

Would be appreciated <3

1 Like