What's your ideal "comfort flight"?

Before I go to bed I usually want to end my flightsim session with a short familiar flight where I don’t have to read charts, think about descent profile etc.

My choice of flight is always TNCM-TFFJ (St Martin-St Barts) in either the Twin Otter or the BN2 Islander. It’s short, beautiful and exciting due to the unusual approach to runway 10. Every landing is different and if you get it right you get a satisfying feeling before turning off the sim.

What’s your typical “comfort flight”? Is it circling your hometown, one of the landing challenges or something else?

2 Likes

Yup same, summer evening weather🤣
It’s just something magical about that Caribbean sunset and the St Barts 10 approach :tumbler_glass:

Through the alps with a H125 in VR… Always enjoy it so much.

Right?? Although it’s never sunset there when I fly, lol. Have to stay up late once to experience it :sweat_smile:

That sounds awesome. I used to fly the H135 around Los Angeles and land on every skyscraper in the city. Yes, they all have legit helipads! I’m normally a TrackIR guy but I think VR is a must when flying helicopters. It’s just so much easier.

VR and head tracking are 2 complete different beasts. In VR you see everything in 3D and you’re actually in the cockpit. It’s hard to explain. You really should try it sometime :slight_smile:

Also the 125 flies a lot more ‘free’ than the 135 :laughing:

1 Like

I do have VR! :slight_smile: I mostly prefer TrackIR due to ease of use and superior graphics but as you said VR is more immersive and it makes flying helicopters much easier :slight_smile:

1 Like

Either some New Guinea mountain strips in the MV Porter, or a loop, roll, hammerhead, and nice curving slip to a landing at a little grass strip somewhere in the Stearman. That has to be the funnest 10 bucks I’ve ever spent in a sim. Is it perfect? Of course not… but it’s REALLY good, and 10 bucks!

1 Like

Not being dead after having enjoyed one of my landing in everything non-Airbus I try to fly is normally very comfortable.

A flight not longer than one hour is also very comfortable too.

2 Likes

For me,

TNCM to St. Barts or Saba
PHNL-PHOG
KDTW-my home airport :slight_smile:

1 Like

Recently I have been flying around Kos and the Greek islands in VR. Sunsets are magical. There is always something to amaze me in MSFS especially in VR. I keep intending to get to the Caribbean again but I cant find the motivation to get across from Europe to the US… I know I can just set it up but I like all my flights to connect with the one previously. Bit OCD I know! Anyway thanks for posting this nice topic.
Fly safe
John

2 Likes

I live in the USA, but for a while every 3 to 6 months I went to South Africa, and then I actually lived there for a half year. I haven’t been there in like 6 years now, but there are things that I miss. So my comfort flight is to fly from either Pretoria or Johannesburg and fly down to Bloemfontein.

1 Like

Absolutely the best cheap airplane in the sim! Perfect for VFR flights where you have to follow roads, powerlines and rivers since it has no GPS or VOR and the visibility is great!

1 Like

Moved to #community:world-discovery

1 Like

Wow, did you actually land the 414 at Out Skerries or did you just fly by it? I have a hard time landing there even with my BN2 Islander.

“Landing” is not the right word, it was more a controlled crash :smiley:
I am very bad at hand-flying small planes…

But Rick was satiesfied because he know that driving or flying around with his computer in the baggage can be harmful for the hardware, that´s why the heavy CPU-cooler and the graphics card are always removed - so no damage happened during the rough landing.

He is already in his cottage finishing the wastewater facility area of his Resident Evil 3 overhaul, and I rented a hotel until the broken gear and bent propellers are replaced.

1 Like

Meanwhile me… before I go to bed… I ‘start’ an 8-10 hour flight. Then once airborne and following the nav flight plan. I leave my PC and go to bed… The next morning I should be on time for a descent, approach and land the aircraft. And I screen record the entire flight so I can replay and review it later. That’s my comfort flight.

1 Like

Basically any of several Cape Air flights in the Boston area. Mainly Logan to the Vinyard.

1 Like

My Oregon comfort flight: 7S3 Stark’s Twin Oaks (small airfield outside Portland) to KDLS Columbia Gorge Regional / The Dalles – go around the big KPDX airspace, then over/through the beautiful Columbia River Gorge and past Mount Hood.

1 Like

I like the outer banks or the Florida Keys. No maps or charts needed.

1 Like