When is the icing effect going to get fixed?!

Sitting at 320,000’ with trim at 56% because I flew through unavoidable clouds. GS is 317, CG 29.17%. I have icing set to visual only as it is being a HUGE issue in airliners lately. Any idea when this is going to get fixed? It should not affect me at all seeing as I have it on visual only, but it is still causing problems! Turning on anti ice makes zero difference too.

8 Likes

Have you voted?

5 Likes

This has been a pet peeve of mine since day one. It’s been discussed all over the forums for months. We’ve sent requests to Zendesk numerous times. We’ve asked for the option to toggle icing/icing effects. Nobody seems to be paying attention. Sorry for that bit of news, but that’s the state of affairs with the icing situation.

2 Likes

I’ve been talking/voting on this for a long time now… I guess it’s a lot harder than we thought to implement a toggle to shut the ice down as a temporary fix:-(

2 Likes

just did. hopefully they will do something about it. cant believe its been how many months and its still an issue

2 Likes

i just dont understand…i hate to say it cause i love this game, and for the most part it seems they are trying to fix the game, albeit every patch fixes 10 things and breaks 657983468923789236983254 others but idk why this has not been a main priority from the get go…

2 Likes

I love the ice. Got me good at
Angels 10 or so last night. Surprised me and the defrosters in my Carenado GA craft worked . I found them later only after landing the bird .

I didn’t want to restart the flight after I was so far into it and after a period of time I determined and said to myself " no way it’s ice and not my poor vision gradually worsing , hindering my view. So I chose to fly instrument only because I couldn’t see th ru the shield for some weird reason . I didnt know ice was implemented and caught that me off guard. Plus I didn’t know that when the blur was gradually getting worse during the flight it was ice. I thought … hmmmm it was … well… I didn’t know . Plus more I didn’t know my bird well. So much to learn about what is implemented in this simulator. For sure.

Prior
Prior to taking off for an 140 nm run in the new prop. craft that I downloaded I didn’t read up on that carenado.

so i didnt know the bird had heat and defrosters simulated too. I stuck my head out the side pilot’ s window just to line up the landing . After landing I jumped into the Co pilot seat and noticed on the dash there was a defroster knob . I turned the hvac switches on and wow the ice slowly melted . Interesting experience that was… wunderful…

Other experience :

Also what was amazing I noticed ice build up over time on the shield as I was flying 10 high .

Prior to realizing it was ice build up I thought my monitors were going downside. I figured it out 12 minutes later that the blur and scattered light refraction on the shield was caused by ice and condensation … Before that discovery I was saying what … what is going on … “no way” that my monitors were jacking up on me. Funny, I was flying in the state I live in and on that day our temps were below 20 F and moisture levels were high and not dry cold . If I had driven my car that day without heat and defrosters, I am certain my windows would of fogged up and iced up too. I love this simulator. No complaints here. I’m sure it will get better. I am sure if there are some flaws R& D will make it better . But so far . I love what the simulator is simulating. Better than FS9 I will say.

yes the sim is awesome. but the point here is they spent multiple years making this game. puffed their chest out about how realistic it is, and in a lot of areas its hasnt been realistic at all. ESPECIALLY with icing! 1: icing will never build up on a planes fuselage due to how air flows over it, yet it does constantly in this game. 2: ice wont build up on a plane over i think 19000’ due to it being to cold and whatever moisture is in the air is already frozen solid thus cant stick to the plane, yet it does in this game. 3: even if these worked properly, the anti icing systems in this game flat out do not work properly. 4: in NO f’ing way should a plane accumulate 10 THOUSAND pounds of ice! which has happened to both me and a friend inn recent weeks.
That much ice would take down a ship if it hit a wave the perfectly wrong way, so what do you think would happen to a plane with THAT much ice? lol

5 Likes

You made me laugh . For real. I dont laugh much. You are right though . But I still love it . I am sure it will get better. 10 thousand pounds of ice . Wow.

Have a good night . I am EST. IT’S 1am I just noticed. Take care all.

In the short term, you can enable the dev toolbar and there is a slider in there which can reset visual icing effects. :slight_smile:

It doesn’t stick. It resets it but then slides right back into full ice. In every sense, icing is over-done and completely unrealistic, and we have no way of turning it off.

1 Like

Jets don’t get covered in ice in-flight. Only leading edges of wings, engine cowlings and sometimes around the edges of windscreens. A lot of turboprops are like that also. That’s why de-ice systems only heat these areas. So, when I’m flying for a few minutes and then realize I’m in an ice-cube kinda kills the immersion, not too mention that it also changes flight characteristics. There’s going to be endless and considerable disagreement over icing, so to me, the easiest thing to do is have a toggle that allows those who don’t like it to turn it off.

As it stands now, we can turn off icing physics but not the visuals.

3 Likes

I don’t think that actually works. I’m a realism junkie, so I wanted to keep the icing effects on full, but because they’re so overdone, I finally broke down and switched them to “visual only”, but it still affected the performance of my plane. Massively.

Of course, the ultimate fix is to get the icing effects right in the first place so that realism junkies like me don’t have to resort to workarounds like changing it to visual effects only, but when that doesn’t work either, aarrgghh…

And I say all that as a staunch lover and defender of the sim in general, who will go out of my way to label someone as a baby when they complain about meaningless stuff like those scenery spikes, or self imposed user error problems like expecting a 172 autopilot to autoland properly, especially when it’s a horse that’s already been beaten to death like 17 times.

But the icing model is neither meaningless nor a self imposed user error. And it really shouldn’t be too hard to fix, just adjust the math about how much it accumulates and under what circumstances. (By that I mean, in general (there’s pretty much exceptions to everything), ice shouldn’t form at all under about -5° C, because the visible moisture is already frozen.)

I’m not so sure if fixing the “icing is forming where it shouldn’t” problem is quite that easy, however. But I’m not a programmer.

Anyway, before I write another book (again), I’m cutting myself off. Ciao…

3 Likes

It’s anyone’s guess as to when / if they’ll fix icing. For a timeframe, I’d venture a guess as to any time between World Update 3 and the heat death of the universe.

3 Likes

I’m a realism junkie too- that’s why this bugs me so much lol. Whenever I jump into the Airbus or CJ4, I feel like I’m flying in an ice cube. All I want is a toggle that shuts down the visual icing. That’s all I want. That would provide a simple, temporary fix until they figure out the rest like you mention.

Once that’s solved, maybe tweaking the airport night lighting a bit…that’s another pet peeve of galactic proportions I have…

Well maybe the scenery spikes don’t mean anything to you but they do to many people. So you calling them a baby because the spikes bother them just means you are a baby for complaining about the icing effects. Geez people sometimes.

Dude… You think I’m joking lol. I have been obsessed with the icing issue lately so I have been watching it like a hawk. I gained 9,972 pounds last week DESPITE ice being set to visual only. Despite full flaps and full throttle, I could not get above airspeed of 123 at 1300’!

They just need to disable ice altogether until they get it fixed

1 Like

Mid-summer, mid-day Arizona ( a friggin’ desert) 85° F at Sedona Airport. My X-Cub became covered in ice while flying thru small puffy cloud at 2,000’ AGL. OAT gauge showed 10° C but cowl and wings became 100% iced over. Landed and sat in hot sun for 15-minutes with OAT showing 22°C - ice never melted. If only I could experience that ice in Real Life mid-summer while trying to stay cool in Sedona.

2 Likes