When will my third party scenery work?

I have purchased a lot of third party scenery mainly from Orbx. CTD every time I have the scenery in my community folder. From what I can see there’s no update from Orbx on the matter.
I won’t be purchasing anything else for the sim until this gets resolved.
Does anyone else have this problem?

1 Like

Not that this will help you much, but i’m not seeing any issues myself. I have 8 packages from ORBX (well, a mix of developers, but bought through ORBX Central). So far I’ve not found any that dont work or are giving a CTD, includeing ones like London City Airport and London Landmarks.

I’m assuming that with the sceneray uninstalled your flying fine and no issues with CTD? Might be worth folowing some of the troubleshooting threads to work out whats causeing you’re issues if you havnt done so already.

Hope your scenery is back in full working order for you quickly.

Thanks for the feedback.
Yes everything else uninstalled and flying fine.
It’s after pressing fly. I will keep at it and hopefully solve the issue.

1 Like

You only mention Orbx addons as your assumed cause of the CTDs. I too have had no CTDs with their addons to date. Do you have other non scenry addons installed like liveies for example of which some are known to be no longer compatible?
My suggestion is that you delete the contents within your SceneryIndexes (AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\SceneryIndexes*.dat) folder and delete your Content.xml. The 2 files will be renewed when you next open MSFS. It can solve a lot of problems.
Also it is advised to temporarily remove or rename your Community folder when doing any updates of MSFS so as to minimise any negative impacts on addons

3 Likes

Thanks for the information.
I’m pleased to say deleting the folder has worked and I’m up and running.
The community folder was empty beforehand.
The benefits of the forum and it’s helpful members.

3 Likes

Just a quick question as I’m having the same problems
Are you running with no liveries now, just vanilla and are you using the FBW A320 at these payware airports?

I have found that almost all my LatinVFR sceneries seem to have busted the ILS systems. I have uninstalled and all works OK now. Is this a general problem with third party sceneries or should I be looking for a problem elsewhere ?

Unfortunately on my second attempt the problem has returned.
I give up !

@MXRIDERKTM

I also have lots of ORBX central scenery. Not a problem. I install mine within the FS folder. Where do you have yours? If it’s outside the sim perhaps a sim connect issue?
One thing that does happen with ORBX (or partner’s) scenery is that if it needs update, it will cause a CTD if you insert that airport in the planner then try to fly. So, out of habit, I now open my ORBX central and look at my products for updates. If there are, I install them. Also, use the file integrity tool they have to check for and correct issues. Some of their sceneries have a configuration tool next to the integrity tool. It asks if you are using certain updates (London city and EGLC were problems with the UK update). Just check the appropriate box and let it run. Failing that, I don’t know what else I can help you with unless you can give me some more information - MS store or Steam, what drive you use, pc specs etc. I’ll be happy to assist any time.

Thanks for the reply.
I have used the sim from day one and tried everything since last update except a full install. Updates are regularly done and everything in fs folder.
I fly in VR and everything runs smooth with no scenery in the community folder.
I have re searched this morning and seems it’s a known bug so will wait and see what happens after next world update.

All the best.

Yes I think it won’t be fixed till WU6
If I load up stock airports it’s fine , any of my payware airports it CTD

Sounds like an issue that needs to be addressed by the third party developers, not Asobo.

1 Like

This is the primary reason I’m avoiding buying anything for MSFS2020 currently. Asabo is changing so much with every update, it breaks everything. I’m amazed so many developers have released stuff with the nightmare it’ll be for them to maintain. Hope Orbx fixes your add-ons… I’m sure they will (eventually), they are a decent company.

3 Likes

If you bought 3rd party add-ons via 3rd party sites, they’re normally pretty quick to get their stuff updated for new versions of the sim. If you bough them in the marketplace, that’s another story. There’s a rather long and ridiculous turnaround time between when a developer submits and update and when it goes live.

Another thing to keep in mind - often, a 3rd party freeware scenery can cause havoc on other sceneries (both freeware and paid), even though they’re not in the same region. There are a couple of these that come to mind. There a Kennedy Space Center freeware pack that causes various other airports to break, including a couple of payware ones. I’ve also found that a freeware KMYF (Montgomery-Gibbs, San Diego) causes issues with other packs as well. With KMYF installed, I would CTD whenever arriving to Toronto, where I have all the Roman Design enhancements (both freeware and paid).

So be sure that the issues you’re having with these payware packs aren’t due to a 3rd party freeware one you may have installed.

3 Likes

I did a full reinstall on a freshly formatted SSD, then I had to reinstall some 40 add-on ORBX airport’s and cities.
The reason I had to format was that I failed to be able to install SU5 no matter what I did, including uninstall of the sim. Once I did, SU5 1.18.14.0 was in the fresh install. Then the hotfix 2 came and made things a bit nicer. I didn’t even move anything from the community folder for that hotfix. Still had no problems. Then I installed the developer version of the FBW 320 and 10 liveries. It works like a dream. Flew over 20 hours over the last 3 days out of and into ORBX airports and cities. YSSY to RPLL and back was beautiful. TNCM to KPDX also beautiful.
It took hours to get all my ORBX sceneries in but they work beautifully. Sorry you’re having this trouble. I’m not suggesting that you format your fs drive. I would look at your drivers. I had HUGE problems with Nvidia and Realtek last month. Windows kept installing its own conflicting graphic and sound drivers. I wiped them in safe mode using DDU for the Nvidia and reinstalled both Nvidia (without GrForce experience) and fresh, updated Realtek sound drivers from their site–but not until AFTER turning off windows driver updates by control panel>system>advanced system settings >hardware then unchecking the “automatic download of drivers”. Got rid of Sonic too which is well known to crash the sim. A lot of work just to run a sim!!

1 Like

Quick update.
Yesterday I re installed Orbx Shoreham from Orbx central as usual and this time verified the files.
Works fine no crash. Have now re installed London city and Elstree, again all fine.
Just need to work through the rest.
I noticed a big improvement in the sim yesterday while flying VR, scenery colours and smooth frames. A flight along the UK south coast yesterday evening was one of the best VR experiences I’ve had in this sim and others.
I have a hunch the problems encountered were not on my system but at the other end!
Happy flying.

2 Likes

I agree. Internet or server issues can cause problems for sure. Glad you’re sorting it out.

My orbx scenery is working perfectly.
Bet you didn’t want to hear that though :no_mouth:

Unfortunately based on my own experience, and going through msfs and orbx forums, it seems that orbx products are likely not the ones causing the CTD’s for you.

In fact, SU5 seems to hate planes and liveries a lot more than sceneries in terms of CTD’s. You can try starting there.

I was thinking about this last week when everyone was having to delete the contents of their community folder and trying to get things working. These kinds of issues are going to throw cold water on the marketplace and 3rd party add-ons. People will worry about the add-on breaking the sim and the devs are going to worry sim changes will require them to do more work. Not sure when or if this situation is going to improve.

1 Like