Where are the complex aircraft?

I am a student pilot and I feel that the difficulty of flying an aircraft is not only in controlling the aircraft.
I find it much more difficult to understand and adhere to airspace and ATC, to maintain VMC in a VFR aircraft, and to prevent mid-air collisions.

2 Likes

Phew 200 UK pounds is a little bit extreme… how much is this ~300€ for a simulated plane? That´s too expensive and I would look for arrrr other ways to grab such a plane. But I am willing to pay 100€ for a PERFECT plane simulated in all aspects (including turbine physics, turbine failures, turbine overheating, compressor stalls, flame-out, electric panel, subsystems on the MFD screens and more) like the Fenix Airbus will probably deliver.

I am not sure how good the PMDG 737 will be - there are no claims that it will deliver PMDG Cloudmaster-realism and there is almost no information at all about this 737 except five screenshots while the Fenix Airbus gives fully open development insight including several almost one hour long videos explaining all their systems failures and details.
We will see who the winner is!

Haha, perhaps not £200 but definitely £100. The statement just reflects my frustration. I’m sure the PMG and Fenix will be awesome but tubes are not my bag.

I respectfully disagree. the Sky Master has pretty bad sound and the autopilot button didn’t work right out of the box. No Carenado plane I’ve tried has quick zoom in VR and they are not known for sorting issues that quickly.

Are you on some sort of retainer or something? There aren’t that many who would agree with you on this I am afraid.

I did share your optimism for the first year but the straw that broke the camel’s back is the persistence on world updates when the core sim so obviously needs all the attention. They’re already way ahead of the game visually. Sort the ‘effing bugs and systems out! Anyway, I digress. We’ll see where we are in another six months. Hopefully the G1000 will have a working VNAV. VORs won’t randomly disappear when flight planning. The rudder won’t behave like it’s 3 stories tall etc, etc.

To balance that rant, the fps is pretty good in VR considering what I’m looking at. The multiplayer is much better than say, X-Plane and the whole concept of streaming the world is just brilliant.

1 Like

you may want to look at DCS World and X-Plane 11 for alternatives, they have been around for enough years for developers to create very detailed craft

1 Like

I came from X-Plane which is probably why I find it frustrating. The flight model is so much better but the visuals cannot compete, especially the clouds. If 2020 doesn’t get a few basic essential core things sorted before XP12 then Austin will be rubbing his hands together.

1 Like

I agree. In the meantime, I’m crazy enjoying the sim!

3 Likes

That has always been X-Planes manta. “we are better than FSX because of our physics” Not saying they were not. However and the users harp on that sorta like AMD is better than Intel. But the fact of the matter is MSFS has X-Plane in the rear view mirror at this point in time and very soon will be gone.

I’m not really bothered about who’s better than who, I can only speak from personal experience. I would like 2020 to succeed but In my opinion eye candy doesn’t have the longevity of substance.

1 Like

I dont think xp12 will steal alot of users from mfs. Remember, one of the most popular features in mfs is the open multiplayer support, and xp12 will not have that. Another thing is the 3party dev support. Almost no scenery is being released for xplane this days because all devs are on mfs. And that i dont think will change for some time. And when Fenix,PMDG will release the aircrafts i dont see any reason people will leave mfs and put their money in another sim. The only thing xplane has that keeps some users is the famous “flightmodel” and zibo,toliss,ini build aircrafts. And i believe mfs flightmodel will sucseed in the end.

3 Likes

You could well be right but I say all bets are off I’d say until we can see what XP12 has to offer. I don’t want to start another sim war thread. Which ever is better gets my money, simple as that. That’s why I was lured in to 2020, by the clouds initially.

2 Likes

I switched from P3D to Xplane because of better flightmodell and eye candy(night lightning), then I switched to MSFS because of better flightmodel and much better eyecandy(yes, i like MSFS FM much better). I will not go back again even if I own a lot of SSS planes for booth platforms. The whole downloading Terrabytes of ortho or paying orbx for it is a no go for me… Maybe, just maybe if Austin hooked up with google and gave us streaming scenery in XP12, I would maybe consider to try it out…

And while I wait for A2A to get their finger out and release SSS aircraft, I actually enjoy the default planes in MSFS, wich is the first sim in history I have been able too…

2 Likes

I want to ask you a serious question. Sounds like you are in the Sales biz? MSFS Physics are as good or better than XP11 <that may have been true for FSX I reckon. However PMDG 737 is coming. Once it arrives XP11,12 non factors really I’ve seen previews of 12 laughable In the meantime relax and enjoy the eye candy.

You could well be right. But the smart money is on MSFS.

Given that MSFS has pretty much shut down external programs, any developer that wants to reach Xbox needs a robust SDK with lots of functionality. Given it’s current state, I give it over a year, more likely 2 years before we start to see all the functionality necessary to truly create a fully complex aircraft.

Personally, not that I know anything, I foresee at least one complete change in the way systems information is transmitted and accessed along the way (similar to the graphics upgrade of SU5).

Honest question: in the GA realm in MSFS, what features and systems do you find lacking? I’ve found problems with a few VORs themselves (not the receiver in the aircraft), but other than that… I honestly feel like this sim is fairly mature from a fixed wing GA standpoint.

Am I missing what’s missing? I mean that sincerely; we all use the sim differently so it’s likely I’ve just not noticed, but I am curious.

3 Likes

Yeah… GA aircraft aren’t THAT complex once you wrap your head around your first. When crashes are often fatal, it behooves plane designers to keep things simple and intuitive.

So far, I have to agree that even my favorites are fairly basic models. The JF PA28s are all quite good, but also quite simple. To be fair, IRL the PA28 is a fairly simple airframe. The Turbo Arrow gives a bit of a challenge in having to watch your boost, but even then, it’s pretty basic stuff.

Carenado gets kudos for making beautiful models, but that’s where it ends. Kinda like dating a beautiful woman who thinks Alaska is another country… beauty only goes so far.

My latest favorite is the SWS Kodiak, which is one of the first models to actually have consequences if you fly it badly. But still, no penalty for firewalling the throttle and running the ITT or torque into the red for minutes at a time.

The only model - so far - that I’ve flown that demands you pay attention is the PMDG DC-6. That’s fun. It takes a bit of doing to fly that ship well, and to treat the systems with respect.

I have very high hopes for the MilViz C310 that’s on the horizon. Dutch posts frequently about the progress he’s making, and it sounds like that model might satisfy some of your desire for a higher level of realism in the sim.

And let’s face it. Take a peek at the real world website for Cirrus. One of the features they talk about is the “high-powered” USB ports available in the cockpit. They also mention “automobile inspired” interior design. Gotta say, it is probably why GA accidents are going up in the real world. So, complexity may be fading into the background. Just try to find a manual transmission in a car these days. But I digress…

2 Likes