Where are the thunder and lightning...?

Even with Metar reports with lightning occurring it never is depicted in the game currently.

Using preset themes isn’t much use cause it reproduces it globally, no way to fly into or away from storm fronts.

How to manage a thunderstorm using METAR. 30 minutes ago a METAR says ts and then 30 minutes later it suddenly says no ts. To be accurate to metar the thunderstorm magically needs to dissapear?

Anything with TS or CB in the string would ‘support’ thunder and lightning based activity.

1 Like

Just watched some beautiful YouTube video of a line of distant thunderstorms lighting up the night sky in the southern USA last week.

It’s beyond sad there is no modeling of thunderstorms/fronts other then rain. Really surprised it doesn’t bother more people.

6 Likes

Oh it does bother a lot of people, me included. But so much has been taken away at SU7 that a realistic line of thunderstorms with lightning seems like a science fiction now, while it was just around the corner before that, had they continued to improve the original weather implementation.

6 Likes

I saw lightning over Darwin the other day. It was shooting out of tiny translucent puffs of mist. I still think that if they can’t draw cumulonimbus to go along with the lightning, then the lightning should remain largely disabled. I hope this is at the heart of a “lightning fix” in an subsequent SU, and they aren’t just tweaking the frequency.

Yeah, you can turn the lightning switch on or off based on the METAR, but the clouds need to match too, and that requires growing or dissipating cumulonimbus that are thousands of feet tall. If the simulator is already rendering sufficiently deep convection, then it probably doesn’t need the METAR to tell it to start drawing sparks too. And if the clouds aren’t there, then the simulator has to play catch-up for an hour building up the weather, and the METAR based Live Weather will be even more stale than it already is.

4 Likes

all of a sudden strong thunder storm started on FL390 over brazil. BUT there are not any clouds so what I see is a flash show outta nowhere :roll_eyes:

Also, did anyone else experienced no rain when you move away from gate.
For example, METAR shows rain at location I choose. When flight loads, rain is present (drops on windows visible and outside also rain drops are visible), intensity is not important. During flight prep, rain drops are visible, also sound of rain can be heard. The moment I move, push back from gate, rain stopps. Not suddenly but gradually. No more rain drops on glass and no more rain sound. Sometimes during taxi rain reappear but rarely.

When I am at arrival, METAR shows rain, sometimes even heavy rain, but in a sim, not a single drop. Clouds are present, but no rain.

I can’t remember when I have take off or landing with rain or snow.

3 Likes

I am on my knees!

Thunder and lightning are back!

Right now in southern argentina.

1 Like

Uh where? Maybe a video would of been better?

1 Like

As said I was yesterday flying in Argentina from Rosario to Santiago de Chile when I see an big dark cloud cluster and from about 30 miles from it it saw lightning and hear thunder. Sorry for having no video. I was to excited. I flew around and over that thunderstorm for 20 minutes and have T&L all the time.

It was the first time for a year or so that I see them.

They look pretty, almost in or at the edge of the storm, very few in the surrounding clouds, no clear air lightning’s.

Lol, I was thinking earlier about MSFS and it suddenly dawned on me that I haven’t seen a thunderstorm in a very long time. I actually forgot that the sim was capable of showing lightning hahaha

2 Likes

Live weather has been broken for a very long time. They don’t seem to care about it anymore unfortunately.

5 Likes

Thunderstorms back in please! Simple

4 Likes

Live weather is broken, 0 thunderstorms in my flights, even when local METAR indicates lightning in the area.

4 Likes

They are locking threads opened about missing Thunderstorms now, they do not want it discussed or criticized.

5 Likes

No i thought that was happening! Communication is key, Asobo need to learn this.

The live weather system has been broke for a while and it is annoying :unamused:

6 Likes

That’s simply not true. We will close duplicates per guidelines on the forum. You may wish to contribute to this bug logged topic here:

6 Likes

Hi there, so please can you answer why there was no dialogue that thunderstorms were being taken out? I can’t recall any point that happening.

Are they working on them? No communication
What time frame are we looking at them being back in? No communication.

Can you understand that I’ve paid for the premium deluxe edition of this game, purchased over 140 mods, that I am afraid to use as they seem to make it worse. Yet constantly the lack of clarity is annoying.

They seem to be able to tell us when a new paid for Plane is coming fairly accurately

10 Likes

I appreciate being pointed to the missing Thunderstorms thread created in DEC 2021!!!

Talk about a buried subject that has gotten 0 attention then.

So 1+ years of no thunderstorms and no acknowledgement? Can we be pointed to the developers discussing the broken weather in regards to TS activity?

4 Likes