Where are these bad clouds?

You mean VR scaling? Who has been able to ramp it up to 120 or 150? Thanks to SU5 I can now fly pretty smoothly with 80, when before I was stuck with 60 with no chance of having an enjoyable flight with anything above it.

Indeed, it really stands out when panning the camera or when flying through clouds. There’s also still this strange disconnect between the sun being hidden behind distant clouds, then becomes visible when you fly through a thin cloud near you. Makes no sense. However that’s been there since launch as well as the pixelation where the sun peeks through the clouds.

Clouds are still better than they were in FSX, just not as good as they were last August. Nobody is saying clouds look better since SU5, yet a lot of people are saying they look worse since SU5. While the increased fps should actually help stabilize the look of the clouds, more samples for TAA to make a stable picture. Yet the opposite seems to be happening. The pixelated edges stand out more in motion.

I took well over 10K screenshots on my tour and since SU5 I haven’t taken a single screenshot where I thought, that looks better, yet many where it looked worse. Maybe I’ve seen all the possible variations of clouds and the sim simply can’t wow me anymore. Yet at least it should match some of the good scenes.

Perhaps fixing the lighting will go a long way to restore the previous beauty. Half of the problem is the whiteout conditions during mid day and odd color banding at other times.

Nobody should be using VR as a measure of graphics quality. VR is low quality at this point in time.

2 Likes

…and what VR headset do you use to come to that conclusion?

3 Likes

A fine example of a lack of understanding of the principle.
Why should I reduce the raw data by 40% in order to then inflate the smaller one again in the PostSS. I prefer to use the better base and then downsampling if necessary if the performance drops.
I have always used 100% (oder 110% je nach Gebiet) corresponds in my settings to approx. 2900x3700pix (+ 10%) per eye in the FS.

Of course you have a better picture with a raw data resolution of 20% more (60vs.80). No question. But 100% before 100% after optically now look like 80-90% before with identical PostSS

That’s exactly the same point as DCS, where people say, “I have 200% Steam VR, it’s not crisp” Right, turn Steam to 100% and Ingame PD to 1.2 or 1.4 and, oh wonder. Suddenly they can read anything. And the performance is also better.

Well, I just went basically with this guide and found what works for me, smoothness being the absolute highest priority

1 Like

Quest 2. But it looks SD to me, so even the best wouldn’t get much better.

@TidalPopcorn618 This is a nice guide on how it at least works. Is also very good as a basis, or if you don’t feel like spending too many settings forever.
But you can only find the optimum for your own system himself and you also need knowledge of the principle.
There is no such thing as a “best everywhere” solution for VR.

Yes, and each system achieves this differently.

With my system, i had no big problems before. (Except for the lousy fact that the FS without PP after 6months VR is still not able to render FOV over 115 degrees without errors.)
But yes, I’m still happy that things are going even better now.
And I’m also happy for the others who can finally enjoy it.
But I am now waiting for the switch, which will at least bring “my” old optics back to me.

I thought as much!

Running a 3090/ultra clouds look about the same or maybe slightly worse than when I was running a 5700 with mixed med/high. Unfortunately, I’m not a screenshot taker so I have no examples. But I can see banding and posterization in the clouds all the time. There is also granularity and noise in the clouds that has come and gone across a couple of updates but is very much present again now. I also feel like there’s far less variety in the types of clouds being rendered. I get plenty of puffy cumulus varieties and maybe some haze but not really anything else. The nimbus and cirrus types are basically missing. The lightning on the other hand… oh boy, plenty of that around. :man_shrugging:

Well I don’t see how VR will ever compare to TV clarity. You can see a disjoin in the centre. It’s like headphones, you can’t get headphones as good as a room, because the stereo is separated, and both ears are supposed to hear left, and right.

Well, the VR-3 is much sharper as every 5k Monitor. :wink:

Sharpness at 1cm is not sharp, and you have your nose in the way.

If you say so

Thank you for your kind words!

I’m sorry for the off-topic post here, but you’re raising a good question for which I believe I’m starting to see clearer now (I know, no joke :wink: ). I agree with you about you can only find the optimum for your own system yourself, after all, it is exactly what I’m trying to do.

But it also appears to me that with FS2020 in VR (unlike 3D), there is like an incompressible maximum frame time which is the same for everyone (I’m trying to keep it simple here) and even more so maybe in SU5 which is now using the GPU better and allows you to fill the GPU better as well.

In practice since SU5, with all the people exploring with me different angles and reporting their VR experience in both “My VR Settings” topics (Index and G2), it is becoming even more evident to me that in fact you can build a strategy drastically reducing the time spent to tailor the experience to your hardware, and I’ve best summed up (until I find otherwise) in this recent post for the G2:

NB: The settings suggestion in the OP of “My VR Setting G2” is old by now, but all the technical information about Windows, NVidia, etc… is still very relevant. Until I settle and update the 1st post with more recent suggestions, the ongoing experiments with the G2 comprises a number of posts in the topic, and you’ll find the direct links in this post: My 2070 SUPER VR settings and suggestion (Reverb G2 - WMR) - #2 by CptLucky8

1 Like

The crazy thing for me since SU05 is that, although everything is running more smoothly, the actual frame times have worsened. (e.g. from previously 18ms to 25ms) I haven’t dealt with it any further this days, and for now I took it for ok. As long as it run, fire free. xD

1 Like

Hi.

Here are some I posted on the main clouds thread in the forum.

I too am seeing grainy clouds but only in some conditions. I have 3090 card and 10900 processor with 64Gb ram. Every setting is at max. Sometimes the clouds are amazing, i.e. soft, fluffy, mist are all great. Perhaps I am expecting a bit too much. here are some examples of where there is more grain. I am using a 2016 LG 55inch Oled as a monitor.

You could screen shot the WMR window (making sure that’s set to high resolution)?

Have you got film grain and vingette on in the config file? If so, you could try turning them off?

Hi

No idea at all :smiley:. I have never been into my config file and got to be honest would hope I wouldn’t have to :wink:

Josh