Which GPU to buy?

Hello everyone, hope you are having a good day. :slight_smile:

Recently, I have decided to upgrade my desktop. The current specifications as follow.

i7-10700K 3.8 GHz (without overclock)
RTX 2060 6GB
32 GB RAM DDR4
MSI Z490-A Pro Mobo

Now I have suggestions and some questions. There are several GPUs with same model but different name and prices.

On one hand there is this one GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 3070 Ti GAMING OC LHR and on the other hand there is this one GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 3070 Ti AORUS MASTER LHR.

One is cheaper than other, but when I look at the naming the models are the same, both are 3070TI and 8GB.

Other than that, can you also suggest me whether this GPUs are well for MSFS and any other games? Do you suggest RTX 3070TI or would you push for 3080 ?

Thanks in advance !

If you can, wait for the new generation.
There will be some Super series of some current 3000 GPUs coming next year in spring (early 2022) and in autumn 2022 there should be the new generation of GPUs already. (News on videocardz.com)

Currently the cards for the prices are totally not worth it.

1 Like

Hi @maatz86, thanks for the reply! :slight_smile:

To be honest, I’m not really satisfied with RTX 2060, not for just MSFS, but for other games as well, like RDR2 or Cyberpunk, talking about the ultra settings of course, would really love to switch to a new one.

But for Germany prices are around 1300-1800 for RTX 3080, which is already high. Do you have any thoughts about RTX 3070TI or does it really mean to push the limits for 3080?

Best

I got the 2060 Super with 8GB and it does still a good job on 1440p I have to say.
The only GPU I currently would go for is a 3080, but only for the MSRP. Do not pay more than that. It is simply not worth it.

Current game tests reveal that the current generation (3000 series) has to less VRAM simply. They are not really future proof and too expensive.

If you are located in Germany you can try your luck with the service which Hardwareluxx offers, they observe and notify GPUs in stock at certain german retailers:

Grüße! :wink:

2 Likes

A thousand thanks for giving a detailed explanation and providing an amazing link :smiley:

I think I’ll be inspecting that for a while :smiley:

VG,

Honestly,

Get what you can get your hands on… Trying to get ahold of the new series will be as close to impossible as getting a 30 series now. The hope is that once the new series comes out, perhaps some used 30 series will be available.

But I wouldn’t be holding out, if you come across something that fits the spec and budget you want, I’d jump on it. Or you may be waiting quite awhile.

2 Likes

Thanks a lot for your answer and suggestion ! :slight_smile:

Do you might have an opinion regarding to the question below by any chance ? :slight_smile:

The only real difference between the two are the following;

1. Power consumption
  • Master recommends a 850W PSU (requires 2 8 pin power connections and 1 6 pin)
  • Gaming recommends a 750W PSU (requires 2 8 pin power connections)
  1. Output
  • Master has 3 display ports and 3 HDMI ports
  • Gaming has 2 Display ports and 2 HDMI ports

I hope that helps.

1 Like

Thanks it did help me indeed ! :slight_smile: .

So what I have is Corsair RM750, so would RTX 3080 or the master that I mentioned be problematic for this PSU ?

3080? or 3070 (your initial question was in regards to a 3070, and now you’ve stated problematic for a 3080).

Just want to clarify.

Oh yes, I mean I’m just considering the options. That’s why I asked if 3080 would be problematic just in case I buy it :slight_smile:

The 3070 and 3080 have the same power requirements for the TI gaming and Master 750/850.

1 Like

Great ! Thank you so much one more time ! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Anytime,

If you want a complete listing and comparisons you can use the following;

Select the NVIDIA Series from the side, then the cards and “compare”.

2 Likes

This is a great source, many thanks one more time. I’ll be looking that right now and then decide what would be the most suitable to buy.

1 Like

I’d wait for Asobo to sort out the mess first as the GPU that you have should be fine and, in their pre sale advertising your 2060 would have fallen into the “Recommended” category by Asobo.
I think you would inevitably be disappointed when you discover that throwing vast amounts of money at another GPU only gives you a very minimal gain in performancel !

If you can afford the 3080 go for that but between the two 3070ti’s honestly the difference is basically nothing.A 3070ti will run games very well.
I have a 3060 12gb and ryzen 5 3600 and I’m getting 30fps locked bar maybe the odd drop to 28 fps momentarily at 1440p and everything maxed out on ultra in msfs.
So a 3070ti should run it at 4k 30fps if not more not a problem I’d say.

This is so subjective. What’s your budget? What else are you running alongside it(CPU, components, panel, etc)? I have a Strix 3090. Price wasn’t an issue and I’m looking at a 4K panel. Get the best you can reasonably afford that fits your setup and plans for upgrades in the future. If you can afford it, get the best. If you wait, add a year to the release date to whatever you’re waiting for. Let’s be real, unless you have a legit bot or are willing to camp, you’re not getting super 3000s anything until 2023.