Which really annoys me (PMDG+MSFS)

I prefer to fly the PMDG 737. I don’t have a Simbrief subscription and don’t want one either (I’m only an occasional flyer). Unfortunately, the PMDG and MSFS (probably) have different ARIAC Cycles. So I can not create the MSFS flight plan on the world map. LittleNavMap also uses the MSFS ARIAC Cycle. So I only have the “Online Flight Planner” to create the flight plans, but the SID and STARS are missing again. It’s kind of frustrating to spend an hour preparing (type in C&D+flight plan). I don’t feel like flying airliners anymore and only fly “my” DC-3 or other small planes now and then, because the trial and error when creating flight plans in airliners annoys me.
Is there a way to create the flight plan on the world map for the PMDG, which is then loaded into the FMC?

2 Likes

Note that a Simbrief account is free, for planning flights that can be exported to a .PLN file for import into the MSFT Flight Planner page. If you want charts, then you’d need a paid Navigraph subscription. (Navigraph owns Simbrief.)

Not sure if I answered your question?

2 Likes

As another user already mentioned, Simbrief is free to create your own flight plan and then export to a PMDG flight plan for loading in the FMS. Usually you’ll need to manually add the SID and STAR procedures, but this only takes a second. If you want the latest AIRAC cycle on the PMDG, this will require a Navigraph subscription. Simbrief does allow you to select a historical AIRAC for routing.

I’m not sure why you’re making your life more difficult by doing this manually, but there is a free and easier option.

Used free Simbrief for the longest, works a treat, you’ll also need the simbrief downloader tool to export the flightplan for PMDG. Do all this before you launch the sim, keep Simbrief open so you can key in SIDS and STARS, simples.

1 Like

While Simbrief is free and does all the above very well, I believe it only has access to the AIRAC cycle it comes with.
You would require a Navigraph subscription to keep the AIRAC current in Simbrief.

Eventually, the sim will be updated with more current nav data and your free Simbrief will not, so for a short term solution, (or if you don’t mind that down the road, some Nav Data differences will occur) it could be a good answer.

You should try it though, it is a great resource, in particular when flying any addon airliner.

1 Like

departure and arrival procedures miss correctly, they will be given to you by ATC, not by your dispatch. Depending on your clearance you might even have to change the downloaded flightplan.

PMDG will keep this close to reality and will not add SIDs and STARs from the OFP.

yes but Chartfox.org is free for charts

1 Like

Well, we’ve just cancelled Disney+ so I’m hoping I can persuade the other half for me to have a Navigraph sub haha. :sweat_smile: It is Christmas after all!

5 Likes

Thank you for the answers. Yes, I’ve already looked at Simbrief, but as far as I understood, only the last two ARIAC cycles are offered in the free account. Means: The PMDG cycle is at some point older than the cycle offered by Simbrief and it doesn’t fit again. … Or have I misunderstood something?

PMDG includes the cycle that is/was current when the airplane released. You could purchase a single cycle at Navigraph and update both Simbrief and PMDG to keep it matched but the sim itself gets updated regularily now. It’s indeed so that we’re more or less forced to subscribe to Navigraph now or at least purchase a cycle every now and then.

Navigraph offers an inexpensive option which only includes AIRAC cycles. It can be used to update MSFS, Simbrief and Little Nav Map to keep everything in sync. Then you can get your charts from Chartfox or Simviation. You can plan your flight in LNM and transfer it to Simbrief and then to the FMS. Or you can do it the other way, Simbrief to LNM. Then export the LNM plan to a .pln file and load it to MSFS. Now all is in agreement (until ATC changes it). The next update to LNM will include an export to Simbrief option.

Where do you find a different price option for only AIRAC cycles? All I see is a monthly or yearly price for a Navigraph Unlimited subscription which includes everything.

Im not T computer now, but it is what i have now. Maybe discontinued? I’ll try to get back to you.

That is exactky as I stated above.

Like you, the only choice I can find is the unlimited edition. However, when I look at my account it says I have the subscription for Navigation Data which gives me the AIRAC cycles but not the charts. It may be discontinued.

Realistically though very little changes with each AIRAC cycle. Most approaches or procedures remain unchanged for years much less 28 days.