Why Are Old Threads Getting Automatically Bumped?

Threads are supposed to be locked after 30 days of no response.
I see many threads from over 2 years ago getting automatically bumped up.
That helps nobody. All it’s doing is pushing up to date posts down futher.
Here’s one from Aug-2020 that got automatically bumped.

General Discussion topics get locked after 30 days.

Topics in #bugs-and-wishlist:wishlist and #msfs:friends-clubs-groups get bumped about every four to eight months.

2 Likes

Perhaps someone would like to reconsider this.
I don’t see why it would matter which topic it’s under. If it’s dead it’s dead.

1 Like

I’ve also seen some posts appearing to be bumped, but in reality they were just being moved to new categories as part of the big category overhaul they recently did. That move seemed to cause them to appear in my feed again.

2 Likes

Yes that’s true, but there are a lot of threads that are automatically bumped and then just stay there.
That’s not fair to users who are making a new post about something and then it gets bumped way down the line because a two year old post got automatically bumped up.

Topics that are voteable get bumped as manually bumping isn’t allowed. The Friends, Clubs & Groups get bumped to recycle the threads. When these get bumped, we try to contact the OP to see if they still want the topic (if the group is still active). If not we close them and close any with invalid links.

As long as a topic stays active, it will always be pushed back to the top.

1 Like

In the post I linked to above, there was no activity/replies for over two years.
I really don’t see the need to automatically bump that up.

1 Like

It’s automatic. There’s no control over the amount of posts to it. It only goes by age.

1 Like

One thing that we noticed early on is that Wishlist topics that are actively being discussed seem to get the most votes. However, there are many good Wishlist topics that aren’t being discussed that would always sit at the bottom if not churned up from time to time.

Our topic bumper in Wishlist automatically bumps something like 4 or 6 topics every day to try to give older Wishlist topics a chance to be considered. A good idea from an August 2020 Wishlist topic is just as valid as a Wishlist topic created today.

That being said, are there junk Wishlist topics that would be better staying at the bottom? Yes. But the topic bumper doesn’t discriminate between good and bad. Maybe some day, we could consider something like deleting all topics that are x years old with fewer than 5 votes or something like that.

6 Likes

If a topic only has one post and someone moves it, it will float back up to the top of the pile. Moderators have a tool to push them back down, but users don’t.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t want to see anyones post get deleted. Archived maybe.

1 Like

I marked your comment as the solution.
Thanks for breaking it down for me. :+1:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.