Why are posts being moved?

Hi,

It looks like we’re mixing even 3rd party official threads for aircraft into community Aviate, navigate etc stuff thread.

Why is this happening? I like having all of the threads for products like aircraft together, for scenery together, etc… Why mix everything all together so it’s impossible to peruse the forum without reading all kinds of threads I’m not interested in???

It’s bad enough I have to read all these posts from angry entitled users expecting perfection for free!!!

Hmm, wait a second, now I’m doing the same thing :roll_eyes:

But really, I’m really confused. Why was the F-28 thread moved to a junk forum, the P-40N thread, and so on?

That forum should be for general questions about navigation and GPS and so on, not for discussions about 3rd party products.

4 Likes

An announcement was made yesterday about a forum re-organization:

2 Likes

Since I can’t respond to that thread… I am NOT a fan of this.

Why do Gliders and Helicopters get their own forum, and not Aircraft? That is the forum I spend the most time in, and now it’s being mixed together with all kinds of other completely unrelated subjects. I’m not interested in Gliders. I’m not interested in Helicopters.

I am mainly interested in the planes I fly, and the airports/scenery I fly to and from. And now that’s all mixed together with a whole lot of other subjects into a single massive forum.

To discuss new airplanes, am I now going to have to wade through product announcements for scenery the world over, livery releases, and all the other software that clogs our ability to see what’s important to us in the Marketplace? All of it in one place? Eek!

That makes zero sense.

I liked the way it was.

Are we once again going to lose all the important threads that we use for going back to and learning about old products that aren’t discussed that much any more, but threads I use all the time like the P.149D thread?

So much good information has been lost in these forum reorgs.

I appreciate all the work you all do, but, there’s a ton of information I see people access all the time even though it’s old, and if it’s going to get lost again, that’s awful.

3 Likes

I’m completely confused now where to find all the aircraft related threads that existed in the old aircraft sub-category. I have to agree with FlyingsCool. Absolutely don’t get that part of the re-organization.

4 Likes

Agree 100%.

As a relative newcomer, navigating the Minoan maze that are these fora is already a daunting task.

What makes it worse is that I ask a question about “X”, get a number of excellent answers, and then want to go back to that thread later on to refresh my memory, (in that topic, under that section), and it’s nowhere to be found!  Egads!  Was it deleted for some reason and I never got the system message?

Eventually I find (some of) my original postings, (and relevant comments on other postings), located waaaaaay over there, in a location that I would never look in, not in a thousand years.  The rest?  :man_shrugging:  Darned if I know.

IMHO, even if a system is bad, it exists and people develop a sense of where things are and it shouldn’t be messed with lightly.

Of course, some threads need to be moved, but that’s done on a case-by-case basis.

As a general rule, (IMHO), you folks should leave well enough alone.

Which users?  Where?

IMHO, something this drastic, that affects everyone on the forums, should have been discussed more openly and transparently with the entire community - and perhaps had a voting button for each particular movement request.  Had this been done, this would not be a problem.

Thanks!

4 Likes

I’m assuming some of it is a work in progress. I had one of my threads where I shared a link to my ongoing addon list moved into Aviate, Navigate, Communicate. That is definitely not an appropriate category. I just figured I’d wait for the dust to settle as things might be getting temporarily rehomed. They are probably doing bulk moves of topics that used to be in one category to another, but… I hope they spot check that work, because ANC is now a mess of threads that have nothing at all to do with the topic.

2 Likes

Exactly. This is NOT the way.

We need the Aircraft and Scenery categories back. And I do not want to lose any threads in the reorg like has happened in the past. There is too much information here I use all the time.

And absolutely in no way, shape, or form do I want to start every time I open a forum to HAVE to start with a search on a tag, that nobody uses anyway.

To me, this reorg approaches what happened to the Flightsim.to website.

2 Likes

Fixing something that ain’t broke?

This new arrangement is terrible, so much will get lost and so many queries will go unanswered…

The first ATR patch was apparently released today but I’ve now nowhere to start a topic since it’s neither a heli nor a glider… nor does it fit into ‘general discussion’. What a mess!

3 Likes

For the ATR, that would go under the Microsoft Forums under “Official Feedback”.

It’s ALL of the third party products they are mixing together into a single unrelated forum meant to discuss navigation and the mess that’s been created around GPS’s. As much as I like the work that’s been done by WT, and I realize that it takes time to develop product so there’s no way they could have done it cleanly… That subject alone deserves its own forum because of all the issues with navigation and the current GPS choices and the Navdata database, issues with auto pilots and so on.

And then they’re creating forums that maybe 2% - 5% of the forum population cares about. It makes no sense.

We’re here to discuss aircraft, and we don’t have a forum for it… smh

It sure would have been nice to understand the reasoning behind the removal of the Aircraft and the Scenery forums. I can’t figure it out.

2 Likes

Yes, I totally forgot that it would go in one of the official threads; and there is now a thread there entirely dedicated to the new update.

But you’re right, we need separate categories for aircraft and scenery. I mean, the majority of us fly planes so why do helos and gliders retain their respective areas? However I’m not sure they’ve gone into a section dealing with navigation? The ones I’ve had moved have ended up in the ‘world’ category.

3 Likes

All the movement I’ve seen has been going into the Community Aviate, Navigate and something or other forum. The Just Flight F-28, Flight Replicas P-40N, and all my scenery annoucement threads.

My biggest fear is the loss of threads that are old but still very relevant, not to mention, if you’re right, they’re moving threads willy nilly all over the place.

2 Likes

Ok, now they’ve created an Aircraft and Flying forum.

Where do we discuss Navigation and GPS issues? Why is that forum going away?

Where do we discuss Scenery releases?

Are we mixing all third party products together, no matter what they are, under announcements? Where do we go if we’re not official third party but we like to share that we’ve created addons. For instance, where does the thread “Are there any new Massachusetts Airports?” go?

3 Likes

Agreed, I would like to have the old ‘Aircraft’ section back.

2 Likes

They’ve kind of done it. It’s mixed in with a whole lot of other stuff, though.

I wish they’d explain why they didn’t just move the Aircraft and Scenery forums to Community support, rather than mixing everything up.

And why bother in the first place? What were the complaints. I was very happy the way it was for the most part.

2 Likes

■■■■ where did the hardware section go? such a waste

2 Likes

Home Cockpit builders?

1 Like

dang. Change is hard, huh?

That’s an odd number. Where did you pull this from? Personally i could care less how the forum is organized, The sim works for me so i come to discuss the game at large.

at any rate, it’s not like people put threads in the right place to begin with or create duplicates because they didn’t use the search feature.

you can go to that forum announcement and see what and why they changed things by clicking the little triangle.

1 Like

i just took a peek. Looks to me these threads fall within these guidelines for that sub-forum

1 Like

Use Tech Talk #gd-commsupport:tech-talk

1 Like

Threads about aircraft do not fall under any of those topics, nor do the scenery topics I created fall in any of these categories, which is where topics from the aircraft and scenery topics were being moved to.

They ended up agreeing with me and recreated the Aircraft section again. So I’m happy there. Some topics have yet to be moved back, such as the topic on the B314, but I imagine they will be moved back eventually.

I also see that scenery topics are now being moved to World, that works for me as well (though it’s a pain to have to scroll to the bottom of the list… guess I can’t have everything :wink: ).

3 Likes