Why Cant I Choose the Runway I Want

I am still looking for an answer as to why since SU12 I have not been able to choose which runway I want to depart each and every time I am in the SIM.
It use to be that way. Is there something in the weather or other settings that I need to change so I can choose the runway and not the SIM each and every time?
VHHH is one example. I dislike departing on 7L and prefer 7R or 7C. for the scenic visual value. Also, VHHH ATC doesn’t send all aircraft to depart on 7L, its 2 miles from the terminal, airlines would be screaming about fuel burn and delays.
Any help would be appreciated.

Yes, there is now a setting that can force a runway, despite weather/wind.

I think it’s in the assistance section. Someone who remembers the exact name will chime in here shortly, I’m sure.

1 Like

Here is the option @BigCow74 is referring to, it should be set to ON:

2 Likes

I have it turned on. I can’t depart 17L at AYGA even if my flight plan explicity includes that runway as my departure runway. I’m also getting a lot of circle to land on the reciprocal runway heading of my chosen runway in my flightplan. This has happened at KIAD and AYPY in the past week.

1 Like

You’ve never been to EHAM? :smiley:

2 Likes

Just tried AYGA 17L with ATC Enforce Flight Plan OFF and ended up on 35L

Changed ATC Enforce Flight Plan to ON and tried again.

Spawned in on 17L. Not very close to the threshold but it was on the runway I selected.

1 Like

Ok try it cold and dark

You might have found the fly in the ointment. With cold and dark you can’t specify a runway and so ATC will specify the runway based on wid conditions. I guess ATC will specify the same parallel runway. Probably based on the airport configuration :thinking:

If you start cold and dark at a gate and without a world map plan and request clearance to depart straight out for example, ATC will clear you for the runway that makes sense for the wind direction. If there are parallel runways, 3 options are then given to you:

1. Accept clearance
  2. Repeat what you just said
  3. Request a different runway

Using option 3, you can follow that through to pick a different runway but it only works for parallel ones which have the same number with L, C and R

Yeah you’ve definitely never been to Schiphol where all departing aircraft take off from 36L. I was wanting to do some KLM routes in the PMDG 738 but spending 10 minutes taxiing put me off after a few

I tried requesting the runway i want but it’s not an option in the list. I wanted to follow the rl procedures in place but I can’t if I use ATC.

Guess then it doesn’t always work

The other option which is fine if you are just flying from one place to another is to make sure that enforce flight plan is on and set up the flight you are planning on doing in the world map. That pre-programs the ATC and allows you to select the departure and arrival runways and routes. If you want to ignore ATC for the cruise, you just acknowledge frequency change after takeoff but don’t actually contact the next controller. The ATC window will behave as though you were following ATC and so let you re-join it at any point. I occasionally use AI ATC assist in assistance options (so that I don’t have to sit at the controls during the cruise) so that I’ve got the ATC chatter in the background which I obviously ignore (FL360 at initial approach fix bug) until I’m within range of the approach controller and can request direct vectors to final to get landing clearance