Why cant I recover the OneStore folder?

The “OneStore” folder in the “Official” folder contains all the CURRENT files and modules of MSFS2020. It would make a great retrieval file if you have to reinstall the simulator and would save hours of communication time. It can be copied to another folder on your system with no problem unfortunately only in one direction (the save). When I try to Copy it back (the recover) to its original location I get “Long File Name” errors. Why is that the case? Is there a way to copy this file back to its original location.

Next time you install when prompted place the packages folder to the root of your fastest drive, this shortens the path considerably

Thank you for your response. Is it possible to to show me an example of how to do that.

when asked “where would you like to install your packages folder?”

just type or navigate to D:\ or E:\
or even C:\ if that’s where you want it

How to enable file paths over 260 characters via Registry Editor (regedit)

Hit Start and type

regedit

Right-click Registry Editor and choose run as administrator

Navigate to the following key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE → SYSTEM → CurrentControlSet → Control → FileSystem

Double-click a value named

LongPathsEnabled

Change the value from 0 to 1 and click ok.

Close Registry Editor and restart the computer.

How to enable file paths over 260 characters via Command Prompt (CMD)

Run the command prompt as administrator (CMD)

Hit Start and type CMD
Right-click command prompt and choose run as administrator

Copy the command below, paste into CMD.

REG ADD “HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem” /v LongPathsEnabled /t REG_DWORD /d 00000001 /f

press Enter

Close the command window and restart the computer.

How to enable file paths over 260 characters via Powershell

Run Powershell as administrator.

Hit Start and type Powershell
Right-click Windows PowerShell and choose run as administrator

Copy the command below, paste into PowerShell

Set-ItemProperty -Path HKLM:\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem -Name LongPathsEnabled -Value 1

Press Enter

Close PowerShell window and restart the computer.

How to enable file paths over 260 characters via Local Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc)

Hit Start and type

gpedit.msc

Right-click gpedit.msc and choose run as administrator

Navigate to

Local Computer Policy → Computer Configuration → Administrative Templates → System → Filesystem

Double click Enable Win32 long path and enable it.

Press Apply → Ok and and restart the computer.

Source https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/working-title-cj4-v0-12-0-released/387248/37

Just skip those files. They are not that big. Then do the update an it will add the files you skipped. The update will be super fast. Like under a minute

1 Like

My solution is probably better as some addons also throw up the error. Plus it’s handy if C is not your biggest or fastest drive (depending on your needs). Note: if you move the folders manually then you have to update the new path in UserCfg.opt by hand.

I have shortcut to the community folder so it’s easy to navigate to the one store folder. Just copy everything in there. But I see your point. To each their own.

That’s fair enough but once Direct Storage is fully implemented it will be advantageous to have Packages on Nvme regardless of where the program files sit

Let me give you my example:

My sim is on drive C, an SSD, and my packages are on drive D, an HD. In my case, the path is D:\FSPackages.

I had to reinstall the sim due to a problem (not sim-related, something else which I won’t bore you with).

1. I made a copy of D:\FSPackages on D. (“Copy of FSPackages”)
  2. I uninstalled the sim. This also removed D:\FSPackages.
  3. I renamed the copy to FSPackages.
  4. I reinstalled the sim (not a huge download).
  5. During installation, when asked “Where do you want to place the packages?” (I forget the exact wording) I pointed it to D:\FSPackages.

The sim made friends with the packages folder immediately and I was ready to fly.

It’s a good tip except the packages along with your caches should be on your fastest drive while the sim itself probably doesn’t need to be (all the magic happens in ram).

my set up
C: 500GB NVme (PCI-e 3.0): Windows, MSFS, various apps and utilities, also video capture. Except for the latter this could be a normal SSD or even HDD for what difference it makes.
D: 500GB NVme (PCI-e 4.0): Community & Official, Rolling Cache, Manual Cache
E: 250GB SSD: Some games but mostly video storage and some music etc.
F: 2x 500GB HDD in Raid-0: All documents, photo’s, more music etc. Important docs get regularly backed up to an external drive.

I never get stutters above 20fps and never struggle with CTDs, lagging, unrendered scenery or hangs while airports load. Vital is that the data that the sim streams to your gpu is always placed on your fastest drive at least while it’s in use and this will be even more important once we have DX12.

Well, what I have works perfectly well for me, thanks. MS say the sim should be on the system drive, and that’s good enough for me.

I should also add that I had another HD lying about, and I use that for the rolling cache.

Yeah like you I have the sim on my system drive and also like you not the packages

And I have all my MSFS stuff on my system drive which is a NVme. I tested putting things on a regular SSD…Wow…slow… Then tested putting a few things on a Barracuda HDD…WOW…WOW…SUPER SLOW.
Nothing concerning my OS or MSFS will be on anything but a NVme drive until they come out with something even faster.

This arrangement also makes for a great backup and restore option of my Official Folder if needed. I assume everyone is really doing backups ? Right ?..smile

Of course but loading the sim isn’t the same as using it. What’s the point of having fast load times only to be faced with poor performance when alternatively with slow loads I could have a hiccup free flying experience?

Not sure I understand your logic here.
Are you saying if you have a FAST load time because of using a FAST Drive you are faced with POOR MSFS Performance, BUT If you use a SLOW Performance Drive that your MSFS will have a hiccup free flying experience ?? … that is what you said…

No I’m only saying it’s more important to have the packages files and caches on a fast drive than it is to have the OS and the sim on one. Ideally everything is on NVme.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.