Why do some have CTDs and Others do not?

No it doesn’t. Now the Young Ones can tear their hair out, trying to find their own bugs, while you can sit back and watch, saying

“Seen that – Done That - Paid my Dues – now it’s your turn”

1 Like

I’ve added things to the Windows registry before, but did not know that the page file could be managed there. Extra points for the Peter MacNicol “Ally McBeal” reference.

Thank you!

I know. You have to hide problematic ones somehow. (The UI doesn’t let you do this as you could in other versions of Windows, it’s left to command-line Powershell or manual removal.)

There is certainly some truth to that. Compiler optimizations flags and intializing variables practices have a great influence on stability in C++ programs.

Every variable needs to be initialized otherwise the program will crash randomly at very strange patterns (like the same document loads perfectly 10 times and then on the 11th there is a crash). Furthermore the crash usually only happens with a release build, because in debug mode the compiler adds initializations and other things by itself.

But I’m sure the programmers at Asobo know a lot more about C++ than that. This would be a beginners error. They are pros, I don’t think it is that.

1 Like

interesting.

I wouldn’t worry about completely reproducible CTDs though. You can use a different joystick because this one is not supported by MSFS at this point. The ones that are happening entirely randomly are much more disconcerting.

That’s little comfort if you want to use it. I wasn’t aware that this stick works for no one at all.

Well, if the joystick drivers are doing “something special” it makes sense. If targeting an older directinput (directx) which need adjustments for newer directx versions. It’s quite thinkable. I’ve seen it has old drivers. Unless i’m wrong and it supports newer directx.

But it’s speculation have not seen crashdumps.

If the joystick is reported as generic HID with maybe identifier 0x03 or 0x04, don’t know plain from the head which one is gamepad. But, it does not support “generic” input/output. It will crash. It’s questionable how the sim is able to handle that, it should not crash.

I have seen that if the joystick is reported as generic HID in windows you need to perform some special steps on a support page somewhere on logitech site.

But this is also speculation.

1 Like

I understand that it isn’t a satisfying answer, but it leaves you a choice.

It is however something completely different to say “doesn’t support joystick xy” rather than “crashes often for no apparent reason”

2 Likes

As it turns out, the Thrustmaster FF Joystick is far inferior to the Microsoft Sidewinder II FF Joystick, so if you want FF, the Sidewinder is by far the better choice.
The issue I really have is not so the much the “not supported”, but rather the CTD when it is detected. It does read the Joystich make & Type, but the seems when it comes to create & write the blank config file to MSFS.

10 minutes running MSFS in debug mode with VS, and the cause & solution would probably become very obvious, as would the solution.

It’s yet another 0000005 Memory error !!! (Big surprise)

1 Like

Yes, and not something that will be resolved by underclocking, removing mods, upgrading GPU drivers, getter a higher rated PSU, along with the vast majority of those types of errors.

Asobo need to make those particular crashes a top priority. Stability over features.

1 Like

I 100% agree. While this is particular CTD is of minor importance, as few have this old Thrustmaster, it is a 100% repeatable CTD, that should be easy to find and correct, and may well point the direction to where to look for other CTDs.

The same applies to the mounting number of errors reported in the Console Log.
So, the Small Tow truck cannot find its rotating beacon texture . so what, !!
Well when this is amongst 100’s of other Console errors, and in this large list of errors, other more important errors get hidden.

I cannot imagine it would take that long to go through these “missing texture” errors and correct them – an idea job for an INTERN to get his/her feet wet in MSFS !!

My bet on this one … a simple TYPO !!!

3 Likes

To that list I’d get the Intern to swap the Departure, and Arrivals columns on the airport activity page on the map screen. A trivial thing, probably trivially easy to resolve. Yet it’s still wrong over a year later.

Get those with more in-depth knowledge of the sim to work on the big ticket items that cause the most problems. And some lower skilled/experienced teams, like new team members to work through some of the smaller niggles.

Good news and bad news today. I solved my issue where after ending a flight and returning to the main menu I get a CTD. Turns out recreating the Rolling Cache solved my CTDs. I can now return to the menu after a flight with no issue.

Bad news, now I get CTDs on approach to airports, oh and not even custom airports, totally out of the box airports. LOL. I need to figure out how to go back to my prior CTDs, at least I could finish a flight.

??? what is wrong – it seems logical to have the Departure on the left, and arrival on the right. (Unless you are Chinese, and read right to left !@!@)

I am more upset about the Frozen Favourite Airports , since SU4 /5 they never update anymore…
A way to Clear them would be nice !!! and 3 is very stingy !! How about 6 ?

1 Like

The column text doesn’t match the list below. Either swap the column header, or swap the list. If you look, aircraft arriving at the airport you are viewing are on the Departures column, not Arrivals. As I say, a trivial thing, but one of many.

1 Like

Have you tried the registry edit to clear your page File on shut down ?

Who knows !!! may as well in any case.

While its primary use is as a security measure, (You don’t want people snooping on your hard drive to see what you have been up to recently !! ) it seems to help for other reason as well.

1 Like

Nope - but I like that idea. Will try now. THANKS!!!

I have turned off fast boot. I don’t like having windows with any driver or service in some sort of “hibernate” mode. You never know how they “wake up”.

I saw a “Windows did not shut down properly” in a post above, this will also possibly help to solve that.

3 Likes

Good idea … just set that – makes very little noticeable difference to boot time … and in any case, Loading MSFS is the big time hog !!

Agree. A lot of persons still think turning fully OFF the PC, wait a little, and turn it ON, is better to clear all, than doing a Windows->Restart. We have this philosophy from our electronic devices :wink:

But it’s wrong with Windows. With Fast Boot ON (ON by default), the OS save part of the memory and devices states on the HDD before shutdown to speed up next turning ON, even if it’s days after.
So better to Windows->Restart, or turn OFF the Fast Boot.

I say that in case some may need to be educated around, always useful to know IMHO :nerd_face:

2 Likes