Why do we not have a fly by view after 2 years

Lack of a good view system and replay is a step backwards from Microsoft’s own previous titles.

I mean what is the technical reason they could not give us the faithful and effective “S” and “A” view-cycle keys?

I find the current camera system so clunky. Tootling about using the built-in DJI can be fun but they could have given us the view-cycle keys of FSX too!

2 Likes

Yes, multi monitor support along the lines of Xplane is what is needed.

I must say, however, that Laminar’s particular solution had a massive performance impact on my system and was not an option for me. I am not sure if there are better solutions available with less performance impact but I am still watching this ‘space’ with interest.

I see what it does, but not necessarily how if you see what I mean. Nor do I know what alternatives there may be.

But essentially you are rendering three separate viewports on the world, so there has to be some cost involved, but I imagine this should be on par with a single viewport that has an FOV wide enough to show the same view but on a single monitor.

1 Like

the fov is wrong ,and have bug,drone camera always show a wide fov,it’s unreal

1 Like

It depends. Three adjacent views on the same scene, just projected at different angles and translations, can be rendered as a single pass on the GPU. This is much faster than treating them as individual views and rendering them as separate scenes. That’s what P3D does and the performance impact of multiple views is mitigated substantially. Also, DX12 improved that situation quite a lot over DX11.

Ultimately, though, the FSX / P3D view engine is based on the ‘multiple window’ system that was in Flight Simulator back before Microsoft bought it. The Atari ST version in the early 90s could have multiple windows, each with a different view, displayed at the same time. Yes, with performance loss per-window, of course, and only on a single screen since you couldn’t do multiple monitors. When it got ported to DirectX and the OS permitted multiple displays, the ability to undock a window to another monitor was added. The key thing is that the multi-window capability was complete; you could always interact with controls in any window, for example. It could be used to spread 2D panels around your monitors, while still allowing you to interact with them. It could be used to chop up the outside view into parts and push them across an arrangement of monitors, or, with other software, to create a wide-FOV view on multiple projectors. That system was the key. MSFS doesn’t have that, it has non-functional pop-ups which are just copies of the texture being rendered in the VC, which you can’t interact with. That’s what’s missing, as a minimum. P3D also added direct control of the view frustums for each view, and that would be important to have too for advanced display configurations.

Then we need full camera control via SimConnect so add-ons can control the camera. That would be true parity with FSX / P3D and that IMHO is the minimum we should be expecting and asking for. None of it is unachievable.

Once you have all that, a fly-by view is child’s play to implement.

2 Likes

What’s this? Could this be a temporary solution?

And this looks quiet promising too…

but Asobo never want to do this simple thing to give us a huge improment in the sim

Some possible reasons:

1. It may not be as simple as you think
  2. They have many other things that need to be fixed first

1 I can speculate on, 2 I can see with my own eyes. :wink:

1 Like

Hello everyone,

We have heard the community’s feedback and desire to see this feature implemented. There is an existing topic related to this in the Wishlist section. We understand this feature was very beloved in FSX and is sought after in the new version of MSFS based on the number of upvotes in the Wishlist topic. The dev team uses the Wishlist as one of many different inputs when deciding what features to prioritize. If you would like to see a Flyby View added, please upvote this topic and continue the conversation here:

Thanks,
MSFS Team

4 Likes