Why do xbox users miss out on freeware?

So i saw that Brisbane River Run and its free, but you guessed it, its not on xbox. It feels like we miss out on so much, we seem to be the poor relation in this family.

Surely this stuff runs on xbox too?

From what I understand, there are two things at play here.

1. Certain rules / criteria must be met in order for a developer to have their stuff placed on the marketplace (prime example the A32NX being pulled from marketplace and XBOX)

A32NX will not be returning to the marketplace - Third Party Addon Discussion / Aircraft - Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums

1. For all the other “add ons” that PC users benefit from, the XBOX is a closed, encrypted system. Folks like VATSIM have already stated they will not (for the time being) be venturing down the XBOX route for these reasons. Air Manager, Etc
 All in the same boat.
5 Likes

That’s solely down to the developer to make it fit the criteria that Asobo require for making it available on the Xbox.

Though having said that this should not come as a major surprise as for many many years, PC games have benefitted from a more open system, resulting in lots of community-made mods and other content.

5 Likes

Limited access to community generated content on consoles is nothing new. Some titles offer a little access, some none at all.
Some mods may require system access which the manufacturer’s ecosystem or the hardware cannot or will not give and others are legally problematic (user created sceneries which use Google maps assets for example)

Less freedom is one of the trade off’s for using a closed (and hypothetically more stable) ecosystem.

3 Likes

I’d give it some time. Xbox has barely been live 6 weeks.

It’s also down to MS/A to make the development pipeline to the marketplace an easy one.

3 Likes

There’s also a huge security aspect to consider because as far as I know it has no antivirus other than a firewall. Code checking is probably the biggest reason for delays in 3rd party updates because just a single piece of malware could possibly crash the whole world.

2 Likes

I get what you are saying, all of you, but in this case we are talking about Orbx who are a Microsoft partner.

Hi the Brisbane river run would run easily on the Xbox it’s just because currently can’t add freeware to the msfs marketplace. I would love for you all to have access to it the more the merrier.

2 Likes

The thing is though, the marketplace does have a free category so couldn’t it reside there?

I am sure there will be good aircraft commercially available in the marketplace 
 on PC the FBW A32NX wasnt there until 2-4 months after release either and those were volunteers who had nothing to loose financially as opposed to commercial developers who propably wait until everthing has stabilized, as they have to pay their developers everytime Asobo releases an update which breaks their product.

On the positive side 
 you guys saved at least a thousand bucks vs. me with my PC you can afford a few planes for the difference :wink:

Aren’t they all asobo releases like the world updates in the free section.

No. Nxi, FBW A32NX were in the free section.

The community wishlist has a ‘freeware category added to MSFS marketplace’ listed as started with a 2021 release date.

I have no idea if that includes Xbox but I’d be surprised if it didn’t eventually get added to console.

3 Likes

Yeah but I think that was cos they was working on it with Asobo or something along those lines.

As said above hopefully when that gets added to the marketplace your have access to many more add-ons on Xbox.

1 Like

Thanks for all your replies people, appreciate them.

2 Likes

NXi is by Working Title, the A32NX is by Fly By Wire. Neither have anything whatsoever to do with Asobo. They are no different from those in the pay sections apart from being free.

They both helped/helping with the navigation systems I believe.

And I’m sure Asobo has given a helping hand to a few of the payware producers too. Orbx and Aerosoft in particular. Doesn’t change the fact - they were both in the free section, NXi still is.
Anyway, let’s move on.

Any one know why the flying eye doctor isn’t actually flyable and idea how to get it working iam on xbox

Not flyable aircraft. Only visual