Why does Terrain LOD and Object LOD setting not matter?

No difference on my Samsung 4k monitor

Good explanatory video, the difference between High-End and Ultra is really negligible.

1 Like

Although they are about draw distance, in the case of the ground texture, Terrain LOD has a direct impact on the detail and quality because of the nature of the texture and the use of mip maps, let alone the sqrt() problem Iā€™ve documented (which is a bug to me and probably at the root of many other LOD related problems):

LOD Problems - Distances revisited

Then thatā€™s fine, if you canā€™t tell the difference. Might as well go for the lower LOD to give you more FPS. I myself can see the difference on my 4K 55" TV that I sit 2.5 metres away. So I donā€™t want to use lower LOD.

Besides, as long as I get 30 fps on Ultra, which is how itā€™s doing after the UK world update, Iā€™m happy.

Just look at how stunning the terrain sharpness and details this distant with 200 terrain LOD. that transition between the green forests to the white snowy mountains. Itā€™s just stunning to look at 4K.

2 Likes

that looks very good. Are you using v-sync? can you send me the settings your using? I thought you should use 60 fps since my monitor refresh rate is 60.

No, Iā€™m not using VSync since I wonā€™t get more than 60 fps anyway. Iā€™m playing on my 55" TV at 4K 60 Hz.

So my settings are:
3840x2160p
V-Sync Off
Preset Custom (Use Ultra as a Base first)

Change:

• Building to High
  • Trees to High
  • Grass to High
  • Volumetric Clouds to High
  • Motion Blur Off
  • Depth of Field Off
  • Cockpit Refresh Rate High

Everything else is based on the Ultra preset. Only change the 7 things above.

1 Like

What about the nvidia settings? Thanks Iā€™m going to try them on my new Rtx 3080 when I get home.
BTW my monitor is a 27 inch Samsung 4k

I donā€™t do anything on the nvidia settings. I leave everything at default. I just realised Having VSync off made my screen tearing. Hahah. So I have it on at 60 max fps.

Jay2Cents says you should have
Power management mode at prefer maximum performance
to get the card to use all the 450 w bios upgrade.

Or to get the card tripping on its thermal or power protection thresholds giving less performance in the end than using optimal power. You might want to search online for this, there are plenty (and sometimes contradictory) materials.

Since you were getting such good results with using your TV I decided to give it a try and wow what a difference. Are you using a Samsung? If so how do you get the game enhancer to work. Mine is grayed out. I have HDR working and game mode on ( found freesync off is best for me). I also found v-sync 30 works best for me as well. I can turn everything up and get smooth fast action. Thanks for the tip.

No, Iā€™m using a Sony. I donā€™t use any game mode beacuse the picture quality looks worse for the sake of performance and response time. Itā€™s not worth it. Especially for msfs where input lag is not important. I donā€™t use any game enhancer, I use a standard non-enhanced picture to get the most baseline image quality which is good enough.

I do use HDR, but since Iā€™m live streaming all my flights to YouTube, I canā€™t use HDR because GeForce experience doesnā€™t support live streaming in HDR.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.