Why I don't want 2024

Keep in mind if you dont want to move over to fs2024 at first no worries as details are still sparse :crossed_fingers: xbox showcase or fs expo vegas will bring alot of information, as Jorg said fs2020 will still be work on, and if i recall somethings from fs2024 will get passed down. and for the world, i think fs2020 and fs2024 will be on the new bing world data, Im hyped for fs2024 it will be a day one buy, but im also fully aware that there might be some sim issues aswell which i will be happy to report back to the forums.

1 Like

1880 going back to theories developed in 1846.

I have no idea what faxes have to do with MSFS though.

Perhaps a mistype?

‘fax’=‘fsx’ maybe?

1 Like

Yes sorry my bad it should have said fsx. The trouble with fat fingers is there is always someone with little thin ones to pick you up.

3 Likes

Little thin ones that are good for picking nits?

1 Like

fsx was 2016, when 2-6gb GPU’s were mega high end. It’s all still single core, run 4K/400/200 ultra everything and you CPU is still stuck at 27% utilization, ram maybe half. Just opening multi-core will unleash more than 4 times the processing power you already have. Any decent GPU can handle everything MSFS is throwing at it, it’s just stuck waiting on the CPU to deliver things to display, which would be all those red spikes you see, 2020 code trying to fumble getting data to a mostly sleeping CPU.

I’m already in countdown to 2024 mode.

pbrad1974,
Thank you. You said what many of us who have been with MSFS since the 90’s have felt. I don’t expect perfection in any sofware, but most software have paid for are close to perfect, and bugs are minor, or are fixed within a reasonable time.
And what a shame! The visual aspects, world modelling, that we have always dreamed about are finally here, yet so many features that made FS9 and FSX usable and enjoyable have regressed, not progressed. You mentioned multi monitor support, being able to hide the cockpit or move it to another monitor;ATC that gives you good directions from takeoff to landing (I personally don’t care if it’s 100% accuraste terminolgy- just get me there and line me up with the ILS!); 2D panels that are easy to hit buttons and switches with instead of just 3D cockpits that shake and have tiny switches or need multiple views to setup a good landing; the ability to “raise your seat” so you can look over the nose of the aircraft and see the ground to help VFR landings…I could go on but I’m probably preaching to the choir here. Anyway, maybe these things will be implimented? They can’t be that difficult programming-wise since they were in FSX decades ago. I’ll buy 2024 and hope for the best. If not, I still have FSX and yes, its visuals are very ancient, but it works.

2 Likes

When Aces studios was closed & the Aces team disbanded to the four corners of the world, 20-odd years of institutional knowledge was lost. It is going to take many years for Asobo & its partners to relearn what was lost, IMO, as not everything was written in reports and comments within the FSX code.

2 Likes

hitting space bar allows you to raise your seat - I only just found this out by accident this week!

There is also a keybind in Controller Options to raise/lower your pilot POV and move it left and right. Mine is set to the cursor keys, but I can’t remember if that’s the default binding or if I set it as a custom control.

1 Like

There were also some things that weren’t really modelled, just given constant values in order to kind of make things work. One example of this type of thing was given when the SU5 work was done, they encountered a constant value in some of Bruce Atwicks original code that there was description really of what it meant. That was worked out to determine what was intended, and replaced with a more accurate modeling.

1 Like

You do you, brother!

The major thing for me missing is the ability to do replays, I miss that feature a lot. And also spot window views.

1 Like