Why is "Press any key to start" still here?

Hey Peeps, I work in game development thought I could share some imput on this.

The Initial splash screens and the infamous “Press any key” whilst they seem like they can be easily removed. Which in theory they could be. they also have some interesting attachments added which makes it “Sometimes” next to impossible.

To start. the intro splash screens. Depending on the contracts Asobo/microsoft has with its partners may or may not be skippable. Its typically negotiated that the logos which the splash screens display need to remain on the screen for a minimum of 5 seconds before being skippable. Of course for players this is just an annoyance but for your games partners and co-developers its a pretty big deal.
So Naturally these screens will remain unskippable unless Asobo/microsoft negotiate their change with their partners.

Again its not that they are “Difficult” to remove. but they are contractually “Difficult” to remove.

Now the Press Any Key screen is different. Again its another screen that would be easy to remove but as another comment pointed out somewhere above games often use this as a initialization point. where the user can chose to either commence or stop. as such a lot of the games loading is usually done attached to this screen. Sometimes platforms actually require this screen to be present and is written in the platforms TRCs (test readiness checks).

More specifically this screen is usually a requirement from ironically Xbox / Microsoft, Sony tend to not care as much. and Nintendo seem to require it whenever they remember it exists.

So If you want the sim to be available on Xbox which i think some people do. this screen will “Probably” also need to stay depending on how the sims code is setup it can either be a easy thing to remove or an incredibly complicated / longwinded thing as the sims initialization is based around it.

So again despite the high votes and popularity to having these screens removed might get and how “easy” it appears. behind the scenes these screens are actually pretty complicated / legally complicated to remove. Bare with them though i’m sure they’ll discuss it :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

Spot on, and goes with my explaination above (I am a fellow dev by the way). Although the intro videos for Asobo/Blackshark/Copyright notice are probably not what most are annoyed about regaridng the “Press any key”, you are absolutely correct to say there may (most likely are) contractual and legal reasons for all those to appear, and not be skippable.

But as i have said in my reply just above yours, the intro screen is a chance for the devs and the publisher to show off. Let them have this! Its still only a month from release.

The key to all this is (yes pun intended) its hardly the most important thing, and i am a bit concerned that so much time is wasted on this, and asking the devs to “explain themselves” for this, is really disproportionate!

2 Likes

Aha, now we know your real name. It is On Key Yogi, isn’t it? :blush:

I envy you. Where did you buy such a useful keyboard? Can we, commons, have this button too? :blush:

Off topic, the “Press any……” on the screen is the first level of the game. Before you start flying, Microsoft is testing your ability to tolerate stress. I passed my test only on the third day – I cheated by installing so-called Xbox Beta Application. I know it is not fair – I did not pay money for any Xbox or Play Station. Do not tell anybody. :blush:

And now, that “application” sitting on my computer looks even more stupid and ridiculous than I when I was bashing my head against the “Press any…” window. :blush:

I am a serious man, not a 3+ gamer.

I’d like it removed. I’ve killed the intro videos because they add to the WAY to large amount of time it adds to load the sim. I start up FS, then go off and do something else, if i didn’t have to check and babysit to press “any key” then I’d be happy and could just go off and do something else, then come back later and i have the game loaded.

Basically the intro videos and the “press any key” are wasting my life.

Hi
Can you help me with my problem? I can’t fly on world map. I’ve try to find any information about that problem but I cant find it. What should I do? I’ve try to instal graphic card drivers, run as a admin, reinstal game.

Yep, and maybe that is contributing to issue people are havign with the patch installs? Who knows?

Would be more useful if they changed the wording to…”Press Any Key to Permanently Uninstall”!

I mean why do it?

Why is that?

You mean without the « press any key » ? Because I am using fast boot to skip the useless video intro but I still have that.

Are you that bored?
The amount of time it took you to create this topic equals the total amount of time you’ll have spent pressing this key in a few years.

1 Like

add more keys to press.

(i actually wishlisted it during alpha – more splash screens and more any keys to press at all phases)

No.
The “press any key” is still there, but it comes at the very beginning instead of the middle of the lengthy process.
And OP said “even moving it to the beginning or the end of the boot-up would be ok”

I agree to this and Developers shouldn’t ignore the top voted wish after coming up with a wishlist.

What’s annoying to me is that since the patch the intro splash screens are now laggy and blocky in exactly the same way every time I log in. I’ll try again today after having restarted the computer but it was never an issue previously. I notice there was a steam update too when I logged in to download the patch so maybe that’s something. Fortunately nothing seems affected in the sim itself but it is vexing.

They included getting rid of the key in their 24 Sep Update as the No. 1 wished for item! So it sort of follows that they will eventually do it. Cheers.

Nope, still there. Seems to kick in from the Blackshark splash screen. The Microsoft and Asobo animations are fine.

Good question … no answer :frowning:

Pseudo code segment

If Xbox == True then Pause_For_Key().

eazy peazy

2 Likes

Found this and it supports some of the above. I assume that they shy away from making the PC version any easier than the console, where they are going to make the big buck.

The “Fast launch” option could easily also skip the “any key” screen, this would not brake the code for the console.