Why is remove "press any key to start" important?

The problem is simple.

You have to watch all the studio logos. Then you have to press a key to load the game.

So you have to wait a minute or two to press a key to wait another minute or two.

Forget to wait to press the key, and you walk away? The sim will still need to keep loading when you get back.

If the loading is all consolidated, people could have more time to do things while they wait, instead of waiting to touch a key, to wait again.

It isn’t waiting that is the problem. It is waiting to wait a second time.

2 Likes

Yeah, I understand that. I hope the game keeps working fine for you. Reading the forum you see all the people having the same old bugs, so in my book and probably in many’s books the bugs are still there.

While in terms of importance, I think this is pretty low on the list. Devs have said themselves that for internal builds, they have this disabled, so it should be easy to do it for us end users as well without taking up any significant time or effort from other fixes.

It’s not important per se in terms of the big picture, but in terms of QoL, removing something that’s just horrible end-user experience design that serves no practical purpose would go a long way to pleasing people that are already pretty peeved off with the way other updates have been handled. Call it a gesture of good will if nothing else. The return on investment for Asobo there would be pretty big for not a whole lot of effort.

That right there. It’s a QoL thing that’s SOOOO easy to fix.

3 Likes

I think the majority voted on it because we all figured it would be a quick and easy fix, or even a hotfix.

I didnt actually vote on it, but I can see how it gained popularity simply because it is something everybody encounters, unlike the various other issues that seems to be extremely circumstantial.

That is also why I do not like the voting system, because it basically means you get the short end of the stick if you fly or do something the majority doesnt do. We can already see this, not just by this example, but by the huge difference between ‘casual gamers’ and ‘hardcore simmers’ that uses this game completely different and will have a completely different set of requirements for it to be functional.

I dont think anybody actually think it is more important than bigger issues.

2 Likes

Oh i am sure it will, i certainly noticed a lot more traffic over Europe on my numerous flights, EGLL even had background sounds , and actual player aircraft landing and taking off in the busiest period i have seen since launch…

It was strange to see a press any key to start. I figured something was still loading in the background. I just click it with the mouse and let it go. I do have a feeling the load time for the game will be about the same either way.

I think it was used for install. So people could see some of the game, then press a key before the hours long 90+ GB install. But once installed, the Press Any Key gimmick gets annoying fast.

For convenience. I want to start the game and go directly to the main menu. No bs. It’s ok to put a splash screen up with a loading bar, but then go directly to the main menu. What purpose does a “press any key to continue” serve? If it provided some useful function it would be different.

1 Like

As I just said, but you were probably typing at the time, it serves a useful function for installing the sim. As it gives the customer something of a front end to look at and interact with before the sim starts its main download.

But after install, that functionality is quickly lost, and it becomes annoying.

Such a push to remove such a trivial inconvenience just shows how little of actual importance is going to ever make it to the “top of the list” to improve or fix.

I want to be clear that this issue is of minimum importance to me, considering the dreadful state of the sim. There are many more important problems to solve. It also demonstrates the inability of the team to correct a simple issue they actually listed as “fixed” in update 4.

As far as your point to the downloading functionality, this also demonstrates the installing/updating/patching system they have chosen to implement is inadequate and needs overhauling.

1 Like

I agree there… except their reasoning for doing things that way hasn’t yet become clear.

I suspect they keep it all in the sim to make cross platform flying better in the future.

Basically this will become useful to folks who use PC and Xbox to fly.

OR… How about you give them the benefit of the doubt. Why do people want that removed, so they can get into the game quicker.

Maybe they thought

1. Lets remove it but discovered an issue.
  2. Removing it doesn’t change much so lets see what we can optimise further.

We don’t have all the facts so we’re just guessing in the dark here.

That sounds nice! The UK is a beautiful place to fly. It’s my XP11’s preferred place to fly. A 737 classic and the always good ORBX. Sincerely I am there just for the 737 Classic. I hope someday we have that plane here.

Sorry, no time for controversy. Take care.

I don’t know if anyone has posted this below ( I am too busy to check at the moment). here is the statement just in case.

4 Likes

Well theyve literally come out and said that press any key being fixed in update 4 was a typo on the update list and should have never been there. So we, at least, have their facts. What you make of that statement is up for individual interpretation.

2 Likes

I think everybody has different priorities, and I don’t think anyone can make a generalization that “this is not important”.
Also, the forums don’t track how important something is. Tons of people voted for it, but that does not imply that it is at the top of everyone’s priority lists. The only thing those votes tell you is that a lot of people would like to see it removed.

I have similar thoughts. Although I wouldn’t put it quite as harshly. They obviously have (had?) competent developers. But, I’m not sure they are working on the bugs.

They are repeatedly failing with bug fixes. The communication appears haphazard. Patch notes are often misleading, ambigious, or simply wrong. Its less about the bugs, and more about how they are handling them. Of course there will be bugs. But, when it comes to fixes and patch notes, it seems like they are guessing.

They can’t even get the “easy win” right. With each patch, it becomes increasingly evident that something behind the scenes is seriously wrong. I can’t imagine the same people that put together the foundations of this simulator are the ones that are currently handling the ongoing development and sustaining.

It really is starting to seem like a solid SDK will be our best options for getting most issues resolved. But if the SDK ends up heavily lacking, takes too long, or suffers the same quality control and support issues as the base game has thus far, then I think we’re in trouble.

I really hope these are just growing pains. But nothing they’ve done so far has made me feel more optimistic. Quite the opposite.

Not much is what I make of it. The “it wasn’t supposed to be in update 4” line really does sound like an excuse. Either way, forgot the mod and use the above line as an excuse or use the line to explain why it was added to the wrong update roadmap, it doesnt exactly make them look terribly well organised as a company.

2 Likes