Will a GPU upgrade sort blurry cockpit buttons

using a Reverb G1 with a 1080ti, generally I’m happy with the clarity and performance.
What i would like to improve somewhat is the text on some of the cockpit buttons, the G1000 buttons specifically are very blurry.
But will a GPU upgrade, thinking a 3080, actually sort this, or is this a limitation of VR and the current AA?

I know the upgrade won’t go to waste, but i was going to wait for prices to settle. But if indeed hiking up the Res will rectify this, tempted to pull the trigger now

thanks

Going for a newer headset rather than GPU is better solution for clarity. Obviously you need to tweak some settings anyway to get the most out of it. I have Quest 2 and RTX2070, got very clear cockpit instruments. Not using default settings for it though but you can achieve with some tweaks.

I have a Q2 and that looks even worse to me.
Am i losing out some features I wonder with a 1000 series card?

1 Like

I think it’s mainly a limitation of your G1 screen resolution.

I believe the G1 and G2 both have similar resolutions?, just the G2 having a better but smaller sweet spot

also to add I have the G1 pro, which I gather is a good as if not better than the G2, this thread as an example

What are your settings with Quest 2? Oculus software and debug tool settings. I am using the max slider on software with 72 or 90hz and getting very crisp visuals with some tweaks on debug tool to get more performance. I don’t think Quest 2 is far worse than G2 with the recent updates now.

I’ve never tried the G1 but I’m having zero issues with sharpness with the G2 using the OpenXR toolkit built-in sharpness and disabling MSFS sharpness (in the UserCfg.opt file) in combination with the world scaling option. To me , natively, the cockpit was smaller compared to real life so the buttons are kind of bigger now and more readable. I remember having to lean forward for the G1000 gps before but not anymore. I can read pretty much every buttons and switches in the cockpit.

To answer your question, the 1080ti should be able to produce the same image quality but at a way lower fps. I doubt that you can have an acceptable experience in VR because you’re probably stuck lowering the settings a bit. I own the 3080 and it’s in my opinion the minimum you should own to be happy with visual quality and performance. I can’t wait for the 4080 because even the 3080 is not strong enough in my opinion. It’ll only get worst with better VR headsets with higher resolution.

I kept hearing that about the Q2 hence giving one a try, I did hear a couple more suggestions this morning so will give those a go later, but i had choppy performance and very pixilated distance views

world scale not something i’ve played around with so will give that a try, thanks. Makes sense, and does seem a little skewed be default

You can test this for yourself without needing the GPU upgrade to do it. Simply change your graphics and render resolution settings to what you’d hope to achieve with the GPU upgrade and see whether cockpit sharpness improves.

I suggest trying 100% TAA and 80% OpenXR, which should give you ~2800x2800 per eye, all high/max-1 VR graphics settings in MSFS. If you have the OpenXR Toolkit, I also suggest enabling FSR and leaving it at 100% but put sharpening at 50%. These are settings I use with my G2 (same resolution as your G1) and my cockpit instruments are very clear and I get 25-40 FPS, but mostly over 30 FPS which I find fine.

Yes, you’ll likely get terrible FPS with your current card, but quality not performance is the point of this test. If you get the quality improvement you desire then go get that GPU upgrade. If you want more FPS, you’re gonna need a better GPU than a 3080 :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I have the Oculus Quest2 and recently purchased a 3080 with 12gb ram, and I can tell you the clarity on the cockpit is awesome, the detail on the controls and outside is awesome.

But as ResetXPDR said, test very well what you have now, may be you can get a little bit more definition on the VR without getting a new card.

I played around a bit today with both headsets, and I can get the Q2 to be visually similar now, but with unplayable frames. (nothing but smooth is ok with me)
Seemed to have now messed up my G1 settings as that looks like ■■■■ again!

So in my frustrated state I ordered a 3080!

See what its like tomorrow! hopefully not disappointed

I’m really happy with the sharpness of my quest 2 using virtual desktop ultra mode.

I agree that the G1000 buttons are the hardest to read, I think a lot of this is down to the fact they are bold font/typeface with very small gaps between the lettering, so it will require very high resolution and good AA to be able to read. Clearly Garmin were not considering the VR flight sim community when designing their units :grin:

It would be amazing if a modder could tweak the G1000 buttons to have a better font or even just a single large letter on each button (M for menu, etc), to save us rendering the whole world in super high Res just for these buttons

Installed the 3080 last night and Wow!!

It’s like a different head set, the G1000 buttons are now legible though not exactly clear, several other buttons are totally clear now, mainly inoperable ones but still nice to be able to read them!

So has done exactly what i wanted, and more as the overall clarity outside the cockpit is massively improved also, can see clearly so far away now!! best of all butter smooth

Even when i used the same settings I am now with my 1080ti is wasn’t anything like this, sure the later generation GPU just has some VR magic as well as raw power

1 Like

I have attempted this myself, with the menu / clear / proc / flight plan / enter buttons you can see on the left. Having them larger and in a less bold font is definitely an improvement in VR. Ideally I would have liked to make them even bigger to almost fill up the whole button, but it doesn’t seem to let me (once I go bigger than below, it starts clipping the letter at top and bottom). There must be some kind of mask somewhere that says how much of the button can be used up by lettering ?

1 Like

Anywhere I can download this as a mod? Struggling with reading G1000 buttons on my 3080 on a Pimax 8kx. Can read smaller text in the cockpit using different fonts, so it’s not the headset resolution that is at fault, but the bold font and small spacing (as well as glare between the white labels and the black buttons), so is a mod changes to thinner and more spaced letters that would be awesome!

Ideally I would like to take the above further and do some more buttons and make them bigger than above, but as mentioned unfortunately I seem to have hit some limit on the size of the decal - I guess due to something marking a “paintable area” on the button model itself? So as mentioned currently the above is only slightly better than default .

If you still want it I would happily share - I could give you the texture file I have replaced the Asobo version with, but ideally would prefer if it was in a normal mod package that would go into community folder, so that it can’t risk screwing up anyone’s default files. Does anyone know how to package the file in to a community folder? I did try asking in the SDK forum but nobody replied !

I’ll take slight improvement any day compared to how it is today. :slight_smile:
Do you change the textures per aircraft, or do you replace g1000 textures and then it changes on all aircraft using the g1000? I’d love to test them, or even if you could point me to the correct texture files, I might be able to change them myself.

Ok sure, here’s the file I started editing and shown in the screenshot

You need to replace the original which is stored in
MSFS packages\Official\OneStore\fs-base\texture\AS1000

Please make a backup of your original first. You may also wish to consider putting the original one back before any sim updates - from memory I think I had a problem with one sim update when I had changed a default file, msfs was threatening to need to redownload packages but it was fine after I put the original file back. All use at your own risk of course, I am not a dev just an enthusiast :slight_smile:

I believe it will apply to all planes that use the Asobo G1000. If you look in the other folders there are the other stock instruments that we could tweak.