Will Azure voice services ever be fixed?

Prior to SU5, I never had Azure voice services drop on me mid flight. Since SU5, it’s every day, nearly every flight. The offline voices sound eithe rlike a robot on Quaaludes or a 12 year old. I don’t really want to have Doogie Howser, ATC directing me.

15 Likes

I don’t know… Doogie Howser might at least get things right more often.

Jim-Sim

6 Likes

He was a very competant Dr.
I’m sure he could handle being an ATC.

1 Like

He couldn’t do any worse, that’s for sure.

2 Likes

Is there anything that cannot be linked to the SU5? I’ve had enormous problems with my digestion lately, I never had them prior to SU5.

1 Like

I can count on 1 hand how many flights I’ve had since SU5 where Azure voice hasn’t dropped. I never had it prior. And a lot of folks are in the same situation.

7 Likes

Same here. One year no issues and now pretty much every day have azure voice drop off.

2 Likes

Every day since SU5 without fault. I’ve had a VERY rare few flights where it didn’t cut out, and another few rare ones where normal Azure voice was reestablished during the flight. But those 2 are the rare exception rather than the norm.

2 Likes

It did not start straight after SU5, it started around the time we started having other issues with the streamed content. Well after SU5.

I don’t know whether it is location or time dependent. Some flights Azure craps out (sometimes already right at the start) sometimes it keeps working. However ATC in general often craps out on me since SU6, switching to one sided conversations or just ignores me completely.

The voices kept working today on a flight to Kamchatka. There wasn’t much to say though, Yelizovo is missing runway and approach information so it was just a descent instruction the vfr approach. It tends to ■■■■ out sooner in more lively places with traffic around.

Maybe every text to voice request has a small percentage of failing which turns Azure voices off. The more you roll the dice, the higher the chance it will ■■■■ out during a flight.

What’s the point of Azure text to voice anyway? The voices are the same no matter where you go. Why not put those voices in the game and be done with it.

I don’t experience this problem but I imagine it’s most likely a server problem. Do you get descent ping rates to your normally connected server? I’m usually around 42ms on the north europe server. Have you tried using a different server connection?

Nope. It started on the day SU5 was launched for me. It’s been a daily thing since.

In many cases, I don’t even make it to the hold short line taxiing for takeoff before it cuts out.

3 Likes

The login servers are for multiplayer data only. It doesn’t matter what you get from that server as that’s not where your cloud data is coming from.

But I’ve got a rock solid gigabit fibre connection that’s been awesome since I got it. I have no connection problems anywhere else. I shouldn’t be having any issues with the Microsoft servers.

If the Partnership Series video about Azure voice that came one some months back is to be believed, there’s a lot more different voices, languages, regional accents, etc coming in future. It was a showcase of all it could potentially do. What we’re seeing in MSFS atm is really the most basic implementation of it. I suspect they have bigger planes for voice down the road. Or else, what was the point of that showcase video if it wasn’t something that would find its way into the sim?

2 Likes

It seems more frequent at airports for me. I fly out of my local airport s lot and it happens there. And it’s not a photogrammetry area at all.

But I had it happen at FL440 over the Nevada desert earlier this evening.

1 Like

Streaming content like this does not really care where you “fly” in the sim, it has to do with the server connection to the Azure cloud that is clearly flimsy. I’d be hard pressed to believe SU5 contained any changes to the network code of the sim that would have initiated these issues. I am old enough to remember what the topics were after SU5 and not a single one was about this Azure connection dropping.

I’ve had it often since SU5 and it’s both really annoying and yet hilarious. It’s annoying because it keeps happening and hilarious because ATC suddenly sounds like Australia’s first female prime minister, Julia Gillard, but after way too many beers or something. It’s the broadest, most insane Aussie accent of all time. I have to turn off ATC completely because of it.

1 Like

yep same here!

My first post on this issue 2 days after SU5

Another post from 2 days later.

First bug report on it after SU5

Another bug thread from 10 days after SU5

3 weeks after SU5

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/atc-no-sound-when-azure/224947

And there are more…

5 Likes

MSFS does not connect to “a” server. I have seen as many as nine discrete and continuous TCP/IP connections to separate servers in different geographic locations when MSFS is running. The streams are encrypted, so it is impossible to determine which server is providing what data, but based on the data rate, and by enabling or disabling various features of MSFS while running, I am confident that each of the following game features comes from a different discrete server.

Streaming scenery
Live Weather
Real-Time METAR
Multiplayer
Live Traffic
Azure voice
Cloud storage of settings
Useage tracking

Some of these IP addresses resolve to Microsoft-owned Azure servers. One (that I always see here in the US) is owned by Amazon AWS. Several belong to Akamai Technologies.

Interestingly, the Amazon server typically has the highest, or second-highest continuous data throughput when the game is running.

Sim updates come from yet another IP address that I have never seen used during normal game play.

3 Likes

Very interesting, thanks for the info.