Got 4090. Anything you want me to test?

Remains to be seen how much VR’s dependency on the CPU limits the potential performance increase.

Am sure it won’t take too long for people to present some evidence.

I don’t hold my breath for VR and DLSS3. VR Headset have already this technique implemented for long at drivers level: retro projection or ASW. They will need to manage it differently for each headset IMHO, so I don’t think it will work. But I’ll be happy to be wrong obviously :wink:

Doing it at GPU level they may have more info about the scene, what is moving in which direction etc - so maybe it will work much better than reprojection (just my guesses, I have no idea how these technologies work)

Interesting performance chart above, I didn’t know the 3090ti already had such advantage over 3090

In fact it’s the reverse, the headset drivers know better all movement of the scene as they manage them though headset in space position and rotation sensors. That’s why they can “easily” create an new frame in advance, thanks to prediction of movements (and depth buffer).
DLSS 3 “don’t see the future” like headset drivers do. It use 2 real computed frames and create an intermediary one in between, like all modern TV is able to do with their “smooth motion” tech.
It’s simplified but you probably get the idea :wink:
Edit : oh, and yes DLSS 3 obviously create latency as it don’t display the next frame, it use it to compute the extra one before displaying it. And latency in VR is a no-go…

1 Like

Interesting thank you!

Got my 4090. Some preliminary results vs 3090 with Quest 2 air link (frametime graph so lower is better):

TAA on Apallachian Bush Trip:

DLSS Quality on Apallachian Bush Trip:

DLSS Quality on Llana landing challenge (the last wavy part is me doing loop maneuver):

Ignoring the bad frame spikes, definitely better frametimes so you can crank your settings higher.

System specs:

ASUS Strix RTX 4090 OC
Ryzen 5800X3D
G-SKILL 32 GB DDR4 3600 CL16 RAM
MSI MPG X570 GAMING PRO CARBON WIFI Motherboard
Corsair AX1600i Power Supply
NVME SSD
Quest 2 Air Link (72Hz, 100% resolution)

Here are my msfs settings which is using dx11 (nothing special, just the settings I used on my 3090 previously):

5 Likes

You need to change that Quest 2 for a G2 e.g., or to an 8k HMD for that GPU. Quest 2 only troubles and bad framerates, noticeable worse image quality etc. simming in a PC, air or cable. That was my experience a year ago, G2 almost plug & play.

How does it looks at a gate at a busy airport close to a city? KLAX, KJFK, anything similar.
Ultra and Terrain LOD 400 TAA
This is where I’m struggling, otherwise constant 30fps (locked) without stutters.
(9900k and 3090)
I’m currently thinking to either go 5800X3D, wait for the next X3D or 13900k. 4090 on the table too but currently no stock locally.

Yes, currently waiting for Aero to arrive.

Here’s another test on Apallachian setting Quest resolution to 150%. The cyan is using msfs settings as posted previously, and the blue is using msfs settings with all set to ultra/max (except level of detail which is at 100)

As can be seen, even setting everything (except LOD) to max we still have headroom to achieve 45 fps (which requires frame time <= 22 ms)

3 Likes

That is it. I am now in a 3080ti, 12900k, G2 100% render, almost all in ultra, DX11, DLSS Balanced + Openxr toolkit fov quality-wide, incredible smooth stutter free, a new FS20 VR era.

1 Like

Here are some tests on klax, using cessna, takeoff and then make a u turn to the right.

Using max settings (except LOD at 100), and the 3 colors are:

• magenta (slowest): 120% quest resolution, TAA
  • cyan (middle): 100% quest resolution, TAA
  • blue (fastest): 100% quest resolution, DLSS quality

There are some frame time spikes, but usually it’s under 22 ms so I would say 45 fps achievable with some hiccups.

2 Likes

thanks a lot, looks promising!

My power consumption/heat comment was meant as a joke. I already have a 12900/3080ti combo to keep me warm this winter.

There are no “8k HMDs” that I’m aware of. Some BS marketing brand names from Pimax maybe but those headsets are not actually 8k. Also, with how low the framerates are with MSFS2020 in VR, a 4090 has a lot of potential to help with a Quest 2 too.

1 Like

can you pls test reverb g2 resolution in the pmdg or fenix at a busy airport such as egll with vatsim traffic?

compairson vs 3090 or 3080 would be great. im usually heavily CPU bound on the ground at these large airports in airliners and was wondering whether the 4090 is helping the CPU in any way.

So how is the subjective experience? Since you know have the best CPU and GPU curre tly possible for this sim, is it completely stutter free? And what’s your average FPSs in dense and less dense scenery areas?

I’m interested why you keep all your shadow settings so low and terrain vector data and ambient occlusion, when your system can clearly handle it all higher?

And Raymarched reflections off?! That makes a big difference to how mountains / hills look when there’s lots of water in front of them I think.

Yeah, I noticed that too. I would drive the card harder until framerates noticeably suffer. I have much higher settings already on my Radeon 6800XT, so when my Asus Tuf 4090 comes in the next day or so I’ll give some feedback with the G2 and the FBW A320 at EGLL Heathrow.

They’re gonna need a bigger truck to deliver the card though, these things are huge.

Maybe worth trying, to reduce the spikes, would be setting the precaching to ultra. It really reduced the frame spikes on my 3080 / 5950x. Ultra should be no problem on your machine and I think might remove a lot of those spikes.

Yea even on my lowly old handheld quad core pc with RTX2070 over a Thunderbolt cable I don’t have settings that low, except my TLOD is lower.