Will many Simmers switch to Xbox in the long term?

Only gamers switch to Xbox. Real simmer will always stay with PC

1 Like

Really not impressed by those visuals tbh. It still looks a lot better on pc but I guess the graphic are fine for a ÂŁ500 console.

1 Like

Yeah, would have been better to see how photogrammetry looks than a bunch of autogen stuff.

Because this in no way simulates flying a real aircraft

2 Likes

I find autogen stuff to look better than photogrammetry
 They’re less accurate than real life of course, but they look sharper and doesn’t look like melting buildings.

Photogrammetry only works if you personally know the cities and landmarks that you can compare to of course. But it comes back to perspective again, if you want accurate sceneries that you see from afar, photogrammetry is better. But if you want less weird artifacts, autogen is better. And since I don’t personally know the cities with photogrammetry, using it is useless for me anyway because I don’t know what I’m suppose to look at. But I do know buildings don’t look like they’re melting irl.

Custom scenery addons are actually even better.

Yes, then I can play while on the sofa in the living room also

Yup this one and Gost of Tshushima directors cut.

Right??? :thinking: :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

We are not simulating flying drones here, we are simulating flying real aeroplanes. You know
 with cockpits, instruments panels, flight controls and other s**t.

1 Like

Sold PS4 Pro and built a computer masterpiece. Will never go to console again. Would rather spend on upgrades for my rig.

Console: Play games, watch Netflix, Disney+, etc and listen to music which is fair enough.

PC: All of the above plus work, design, create, simulate, communicate and everything else.

The choice is obvious.
Some people cannot afford a $5000 rig or don’t want to spend that much so a $300 Console is fair game, pun intended, for casual gaming or movie watching.

For simmers and aviators a powerful PC is the only option. If MSFS ends up being a dead sim that can only run or make money on a console, then Lockheed or Laminar Research will eventually catch up on the visual fidelity with P3D and X-Plane respectively since it’s obvious that this generates great attraction, and people will move. Also there are some powerful engines out there that can integrate flight simming as well. It is perfectly possible to inject google maps into a real time rendering engine. It’s also possible to have it as Orbx has, with parts of the world sold as add-ons, albeit making the whole hobby more expensive. But Orbx is already offering these types of add-ons to MSFS with the release of Great Britain Central for MSFS. Surely some people are thinking “we can do better than MS/Asobo, let’s try.”

It’s just mind boggling how this SU5 fiasco got to happen. It was probably on purpose because you can’t as a 300 people game studio come up with The Witcher and this
amazing sim and shoot yourself in the foot like this. But moreover it’s sad to see how MS/Asobo take their customers for granted and that we are not going to notice the blatant downgrade.

I’m looking forward to SU6, if things get worse I’ll try to get my money back and if I can’t then I will just uninstall MSFS and use another sim as I’ve been doing since this disaster of an update was released.

1 Like

Oh
 semantics
 Have a nice day.

It depends a lot on the city but I rarely like the autogen stuff. It absolutely cannot do historical old towns or cities. My home city of Edinburgh looks laughably awful in autogen at any distance. As do many other older cities across Europe. Move over to the US or any new world country and it makes much less of a difference as the autogen does modern buildings better.

It’ll be interesting to see what the new improvements we’re getting to photogrammetry look like. Asobo have said that currently all photogrammetry is throttled back to a relatively low resolution to help with performance. They said that the next world update will feature the first higher resolution PG city in Germany.

1 Like

Never. Ever.

Understood and I feel the same.

I’m still keeping X-Plane on my system though. There is half a chance from what Austin said that the next iteration might just be able to use some of the addons I bought for X-Plane 11. It seems too good to be true but you never know.

2 Likes

It would come down to whether there was equivalence around mods and controllers. If this was 100% (which does seem unlikely for mods, given statements made regarding running code on the Xbox) then I wouldn’t be averse to it, especially as the performance is certainly “high-end PC” (if not quite “top-end PC”). The other practicality is that many (most?) people have their consoles in a living room area (rather than an office-style desk), which doesn’t lend itself very well to the clutter of controllers that often comes with flight sims. If you only ever played with a joypad, however, then why not?

I’ve not owned a console in years though, so probably not for me overall.

Yeah, true
 the cities I fly in around South East asia
 doesn’t have photogrammetry, so autogen is better for me.

I do find the term ‘casual’ a problematic one. While I’m new to MSFS, I have the hotas/pedals/keyboard and I’m taking it seriously within the walled garden. I’ll never build a cockpit, but I’m not convinced that entusiasts on Xbox are inevitably ‘casuals’. There are some casuals on PC.

5 Likes

That is exactly what I mean. I bought the Xbox only because of the Sim because investing into a PC that decently runs MSFS2020 is no option for me at the moment. I am flying on Flight Simulators since the early 90s. I also used to be a pilot in real life, I hold a multi engine commercial pilots license and I worked as a Flight Instructor for some years. In the Flight Sim I try to keep everything as close to real live as possible. I fly IFR a lot and I am using a hotas/pedals/keyboard/mouse. And yes, the Xbox does a very good job. Would the experience be better on 3000€ PC with another 1000€ of peripherals? Certainly yes! That is not a serious question. But for all those (also serious) Simmers that are using MSFS on Mid Range PCs the Console is a very good alternative.

4 Likes

Most honestly, I loved FSX on the pc. I learned the boring stuff (procedures and standards) for my PPL in there with a nice stick and pedals on a wide screen. Now that I have that PPL I still play FSX sometimes but now I pick some strange weather conditions and a small plane. Between framedrops and glitches I have fun.

BUT

Since we are playing this on a screen in our houses, I do still considder this sim a game. My xbox runs it perfectly, the details are amazing and the controller inputs are better than expected. I like it this way, set myself up on a nice small plane, challenge myself in to some landings, the occasional longer flights are nice too.

I think that after adding support for more joysticks and pedals the xbox version is the best way to enjoy a flight sim for a lot of pilots. (I do understand that a lot of " simmers " do play the game in another way where the xbox will probably fall short)

Gosh so many people with a bit of hardware investment talk like they are pilots. It’s a videogame. On PC or Xbox. And it’s fantastic.

If your fun relies on trying to act superior, calling devices toys, trying to find self worth by how much of a REAL virtual pilot you are, then it’s hardly real fun is it? Your self worth shouldn’t be measured by how much plastic tat you’ve placed between you and a videogame.

Amazing people can reach a place in their life where they can afford to build a cockpit in their house yet still haven’t advanced emotionally from ZX Spectrum vs C64 playground battles.

People playing on Xbox aren’t necessarily casual. You can achieve quite a lot on the sim even with the gamepad - including all the G1000 functionality. I suspect one of the reasons MSFS2020 exists at all is the opportunity to broaded the audience on Xbox. If anything we should be grateful Xbox exists, without it FSX may have been the last MSFS.

Also many forget the cost of buying a PC that can run the sim at the scale of the Series X, or even Series S. Not everyone can build a 737 in their shed. My kids are exploring Flight Sim for the very first time. They are the next generation of this hobby, and the future. Without Xbox Flight Sim would be left to the “get off my lawn” types that are so vocal here, who seem to want the hobby to die with them.

16 Likes

Yeah. Sure. Truly.

All Simmers will switch to Xbox in the long term for playing this game on a couch.