Will MFS PC version from now be bottlenecked by the Console?

It’d be interesting at which point they actually decided to push for XBox. I think in the bigger picture they always considered it, but given the bad performance of the sim last year they certainly first had to do some proof of concept whether it is possible at all.

Not only in terms of performance, but also with a concept to integrate a cockpit interaction with a controller, in a way that you could apply it to basically any cockpit, even by third parties.

If you look at what they did with the checklists which highlight the switches etc., I think some core concepts always had this kind of target in mind. But you need more to convince managers to actually provide a budget and have a calculation that it’s worth the effort.

Anyway, I wouldn’t like to be in their shoes for the last weeks and months.
I rather enjoy flying despite all it’s issues.
I hope those who currently simply can’t will get another hotfix solving their urgent issues.

1 Like

Ok… but it is my opinion… Time will tell.

You say I had all the info available to me a year ago??? Where have you been? I wasn’t told I would have constant add-on breaking bugs etc! Live weather issues, Possible CTD’s from updates, I was told nothing…If I was told I would of held off.

Please dont tell me what i was told. And quit the white knight garbage! You want to be there from the start bugs and all good for you, I dont!

Me too buddy

2 Likes

Going by the user interface alone, its clear to me this product was designed to support a console controller at the very least. It is one of the hallmarks of a console port, if you will, although in this case it was to go from PC to console, rather than the other way around. I would imagine console support was thought about from its very inception.

The negative mouse acceleration felt in the cockpit is another sign of poor console controller joystick/mouse coexistence. You won’t feel that when using the relative input of a console controller joystick, but it feels awful when using the absolute inputs of a mouse. It’s something I would expect from some poor little indie developer, but not MS/Asobo.

Taken to its extremes this is where you see on Steam a title that claims it has “partial mouse, and keyboard support”. On a PC. In 2021. smh

The only slack I would give to a developer of a PC title that does this is that this is a-okay if they programmed the title with a console controller only. If they had to resort to mouse, and keyboard input to write the thing, then include mouse, and keyboard support by default.

2 Likes

Yeah, some aspects clearly were designed in a way that they’d be able to do it. Actually they supported the XBox controller partially on the PC as well.

But I really can’t imagine someone saying that this sim will run on a XBox Series S when it was released (Nov 2020) from the performance view alone. With some updates, they even made the performance worse instead.

As a developer myself I have a high respect of people committing to such an ambitious goal and finally succeeding (not talking about the side effects on the PC).

That’s a categorization which probably is due to the fact that the sim is almost unplayable if you have no other peripherals.
The counterpart is the “partial controller support” which means that you still have to have keyboard or mouse for the title and is a main decision aspect if you’re using things like a Steam Box with just a controller.

1 Like

I had my eye on another title, from an old dev from my Amiga days called Team 17. The Alien Breed folks. They have a new pirate themed action game that, as far as I know, isn’t even multi-platform, but is designed to work with a controller, and only has partial M&K support, though they say they are working on it. I’ll buy it when they have full M&K support, and not until.

If we want to instigate change we have to vote with our wallets, as that is the only language they truly understand, and their higher ups care about.

1 Like

I guess we already do. And MS certainly knew how many people will be buying it for XBox or subscribed for the Game Pass just because of it (and a certain number of them will stay once they saw the benefits).

I think with MSFS we have a situation that previous FS versions and many other games don’t have and that’s a forum voting and direct communication (even if it’s unidirectional most of the time) with people that make decisions.
Without the many threads and people discussing, providing analysis etc. the sim would be in a worse shape now.
For the sake of the XBox release, MS wouldn’t have needed to make these changes happen since many reports are just details that wouldn’t reduce XBox sales. But they did for the reason that they want to keep people stay connected (and of course spending money on the Marketplace, which is again our wallet :smiley: ).

1 Like

I have noticed, that even with the LOD settings at 9 in the user config, my ram will not exceed 16gb. Could there possibly be a cap coded in to accommodate Xbox, hence why we have such terrible terrain textures at a higher flight level?

The XBox Series X has 10GB of RAM, and 6GB of VRAM. RAM is shared so if the GPU needs more it can access main RAM. I don’t know the specs. but I would imagine main memory would be slower than the dedicated VRAM so there may be compromises there. It’s a curious coincidence if nothing else.

Its odd, as before I could find my self with 22gb of ram used.
I think once we get back our textures and such the changes made to how the engine uses the CPU threading, will still have a good percent increase over SU 4.

I was personally fine at 30-35fps on 4K Ultra, but I was always hitting a main thread limit despite having a strong processer.

1 Like

What they say and what they do…:thinking:

1 Like

Whilst I must admit I have not read all of these threads… I don’t understand what seems to be a common underlying belief that Microsoft needed to make the xbox and PC versions look identical for commercial reasons. Has microsoft pushed this line in marketing? From what I have seen, xbox reviewers and gamers are (rightly) very impressed to have what they have on console. If was a console gamer (which I have been for different periods) I would be delighted to have this, and if I found it looked slightly better on £3000 PCs I would not be in any way surprised or upset, and it certainly wouldn’t stop me buying it for my console.

(Not trying to start an argument just interested to understand what I have missed ! )

1 Like

Look at what aerosof says.

I have some good news and some bad news for you.

Let’s start with the bad news. Due to technical reasons, the release of the CRJ-900 and -1000 needs to postponed until a later date, most likely late September or October. We regret this, but we explored all options and there is no way around.
Testing of the CRJ on the Xbox platform will begin shortly. We have no specific release date planned so far though.

They tricked us, we were their beta testers for their black box these 11 months

1 Like

Oh, I’m with you im the sense that not everything has been buttersmooth, but this is a new sim. Assuming that things could go sideways, temporarily, isn’t far fetched, would you agree?

You were told the absolute same that I was told. We all had the same infos.

Then why did you buy the sim at launch…? What sense does that make? It’s a sim…bugs were an absolute certainty since day one. Expecting a smooth ride from day one is wishful thinking at its best. Xplane and P3D introduce new bugs all the time, after 25+ years of development. Part of the business.

Not sure you understand the definition of a white knight, else you wouldn’t use the word. No need to get worked up, we’re having a civil discussion.

Saw an interview where they said textures are compressed to save vram. This loads up a GPU unnecessarily if you have the space…like on a PC. Probably a zillion other changes to optimize it for Xbox that are forced onto the PC port to save $$$$.

1 Like

What changed is the LOD, culling view rendering, and draw distance on the console S especially, and some others calculation, texture almost none, anyone can use any resolution on PC, not Xbox it require the tools with max ceiling exportation for that console limitation.

Why leave out half of the post? Here’s the rest:

"Now for the good news: The CRJ updates for compatibility issues with Sim Update 5 have been completed and are being readied for release as we speak. They should become available in the next couple of days.

The nice folks at Asobo were able to identify and fix an issue in the WASM runtime (which is part of the SDK, but open source, so it’s not made by either Asobo or us) and by this, to put the airspeed indicator in the CRJ back in action, without requiring a hotfix for Flight Simulator itself. Other issues (e.g. texture and shadow quality) have been fixed by our own developers."

I was not told on launch day this was how it was going to be. I was not told on launch day the flight planner would USR/USER way points to my plans that I don’t need or are in anyway realistic.

I was not told that turbo props would be garbage until SU4, I was not told that it would take over a year to get semi realistic simcade physics.

I was told it is a flight simulator, and I was told it would be amazing and it is, but it is not amazing enough for me, it’s not realistic enough at the moment, but I was never told enough to know not to buy it.

Do you see where I am going with this

2 Likes

Given that PC market is rising, 40 million PC GPU’s are shipped each year and PC market outperform Xbox and Playstation combine… I would say yes. Yes PC market is going to be around for a long time.

1 Like

Every launch there are those that say things like “Will this generation of console kill off the PC?”. I think its more a case of “Will this generation of consoles turn in to a PC?”.