Will SU8 be a game changer?

A while back I read somewhere that SU8 was going to be a big update. Meaning it’s going to be primarily on fixing the sim issues.

Has this been confirmed? Will it in deed finally give us the most stable sim to date?

Right now the biggest issue that I have complaint about is the loss of performance during long flights(1+hours) and stutters when on approach which I think these stutters are related to whatever causes the loss of performance on long flights.

I’m mainly an airliner guy, so this is in reference to airliners like the A320. Don’t know if GA have the same issue.

The fact that PMDG stated a few days ago that they now have been “unstuck” hopefully leads me to believe that whatever issues they had will be resolved with SU8 and things will be completely stable.

Hopefully!!

2 Likes

Yes, that’s what was said at the latest Dev Q&A.

That’s the idea, but time will tell.

2 Likes

I used to have this issue in previous MSFS build versions, but lately, it’s been pretty stable for me and I just completed a straight 8 hour long-haul flight. And I live broadcast the whole flight in real time with 4K, HDR quality to YouTube… not even a single stutter the whole way, and I managed to approach and land just fine.

10 Likes

Rumors are MS/Asobo changed the coding for the sim again and one 3rd party dev has to rewrite the code now for their aircraft. It wasn’t mentioned who this was or which aircraft, but if true already a bad sign they are about to break every addon that exists. We’ll see…

Dang, really? Well I hope it’s not SU5 all over again. I mean, SU5 did bring more fps performance but at the same time it broke a lot of stuff.

For me, the sim looks great at the moment and a lot of things are working fine. Haven’t had a CTD in months.

But if they can just dial in the performance to be consistent across the whole board(no stutters or loss of performance) that would be awesome.

1 Like

I guess it depends on how you look at it…
If the way they code the sim right now made third-party developers have to work 10x more complex codes to get their addons working. Shouldn’t it be a good thing if they changed the sim codes so that third-party developers can work the same complexity with 1/2 the effort?

Sure, it may break the current addons and developers have to make code changes to adapt to the new base code in the beginning, but isn’t it worth it to do it now, rather than having to keep continuing to work harder on inferior code base.

And the longer you wait until it becomes a real problem, the changes are too big for all the developers to catch up?

I’m the kind of person who’d rather be hated by 100 person now… Rather than being hated by 10.000 person tomorrow.

20 Likes

I think one the big “game changers” will be that they have found the fix for the fps loss issue when you pop out instruments.

Looking forward to that.

6 Likes

Very true, I don’t mind if a few things must be broken in order to make it better. As long as they pass that information to us then it’s understandable. But Asobo really aren’t to informative to the public as history shows us.

But hopefully that changes too.

The biggest issue with SU8, to me, is this:

What is on the list of fixes & improvements?

Without making this information known (within reason) to the userbase, we are all left guessing and setting our own, potentially, unrealistic expectations.

Many of us are putting stock in SU8 being this big fix for a myriad of issues that are personal to each of us. Reading this forum as much as I do has revealed that there are a whole lot of differences in opinion about what issues are most important.

I’m trying pretty hard to temper my expectations.

7 Likes

I’m hoping for it to be more of a “game fixer” than “game changer”.

That said, fixing the fps drop when popping out windows will be a game changer for many who are teetering dangerously close to the 30 fps mark without popouts and want to use that feature but can’t.

What Jorg said 2 Q&As ago was that SU8 would be all bug fixes, no new features. They need to clear out some of the bug debt that they’ve accrued since launch. While there have been very few specifics about what will be fixed, they’ll likely be focusing on long-standing bugs that have been at the top of the bug list for a long time.

So far, we know these specific issues are being addressed as they’ve been announced:

• performance loss when popping out instruments
  • approach flyback bug
  • lack of real time traffic
  • excessive lightning in live weather (although I haven’t personally seen this in some time)

There’s not much in terms of specifics beyond that. Anything else is speculation. But you can bet they likely have a long list of small bugs that they’ll be trying to exterminate. Whether those will end up being tangible changes most users will notice is also unknown. But in any case, I’m glad this is being done. It’s high time for them to fix the broken stuff before trying to shoehorn new stuff into an already badly broken sim.

While no one has stated this implicitly, I wouldn’t be surprised to see the in-sim nav / flight planning system being replaced with the new system Working Title developed for the G1000 NXi. Since this fixes the approach fly-back bug and we know this is meant to be incorporated into the sim H1 2022, it would seem like a reasonable update to include it in, as it would squash the vast majority of bugs with the current system.

12 Likes

to be fair, after SU2 or 3 I stopped getting my hopes up entirely that the next patch will fix all the issues bugging me at the moment. At this point its easier to expect half an update than to expect game-changing fixes. That way, when a particular bug does get fixed, im pleasantly surprised.

Will SU8 completely change the game? I doubt it. Will it address several longstanding issues? It remains to be seen…

3 Likes

some people believe all the rumours, lets just wait and see. its very naive to think
all issues will be fixed.

5 Likes

I can’t say I fully disagree with this. The SUs early last year were rather disappointing, breaking more than they fixed. It’s left me with some low expectations.

While I’m not expecting miracles with SU8, I do expect this update to be more substantial in terms of fixes, and probably less prone to breaking other stuff. In past udpates, they were so hell-bent on introducing a bunch of new features (which often broke stuff in the process). In this one, it should be all about bug fixes without adding new features.

But this is their one shot at it. SU9 will be all about the Top Gun DLC, and then later this year, helicopter and glider DLCs. And then whatever other game modes they decide to add in.

1 Like

Every update has been a game changer, not always for the better. I look forward to progress but worry about what’ll break this time.

3 Likes

No more downgrades please! Dont break things and make things worse. This sim is still unique and breathtaking at some times and erea, keep improving on all frontier. Test it good before release. Cross fingere for the best.

3 Likes

II would call game changer anything that won’t reset back to default all my game’s settings and custom views, erase my community folder contents along wih the 380 GB of all marketplace package including all wold updates only to require me download it all again a second later, change the way my mouse or any other working peripherals work and forget to later fix them. That will be terrific. As a bonus if the update can also allow itself to be postponed or reverted even for offline utilization only if not in the latest version, it would make me fear these updates so much less… that for certain would be a game changer :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I doubt it, But as many say it will great be if it doesn’t break anything, installs perfectly first time, fixes major outstanding issues, including previous breakages and leaves my MSFS settings alone.
For me I also pine for the complex serious cloudscapes and challenging weather conditions we used to have (which for me was an awful breakage) instead of the puffy fair weather non overcast samey looking clouds that ruin my immersion.

4 Likes

Have a look at the 7 recent updates and decide yourself how much a promise is worth.

4 Likes

Short answer: NO

Expecting a game changer from a simple regular update is the reason why so many people are disappointed afterwards. Like with (most) previous updates, SU8 will most likely contain many improvements. It might also again break something.

Overall I expect the generally positive trend from the last 17 months to go on. But I won’t expect an update the miraculously fixes everything that’s currently not working perfectly. That’s like expecting a new head of state to fix everything that’s wrong in a country.

The world doesn’t work in miraculous ways and I only deal in reality. And having realistic expectations reduces the risk of disappointment.

13 Likes

If it opens the path for the Fenix Airbus and the PMDG 737 SU8 will indeed be a game-changer because it will bring the so badly wanted airliners to the sim.

2 Likes