Win 11 and AMD chipset drivers + patch for CPU issues

Just a heads up for any of you who have installed the latest patch for Windows 11 and the latest AMD chipset drivers that were released to resolve the Cache latency Issues.

I installed them a few days ago and didn’t really notice any difference.

Until today when I was flying around the Portsmouth and Southampton photogrammetry areas (UK). I was noticing a slight pause as I flicked my view out of the left window and back again.

I was running Hardware monitor and noticed my CPU was not going above 4.1Ghz on any core, normally it would boost to 4.4Ghz (using the PBO overclocking via the Bios).

After a bit of digging round I found it was a problem with the power plan.
I had two AMD Ryzen Hi Performance plans listed in the power options settings

One of them was selected but it was obviously not a working one as when I selected the other one the CPU then went back to boosting to 4.4Ghz. I have now deleted the non working one and my pause while changing views has gone . :+1:

So, if you have seen any performance issues since applying the updates, check your power plan is the correct one.

2 Likes

It should be worth pointing out the Ryzen-specific power plans are only needed for Zen 1 and 2. Zen 3 doesn’t require a specific power plan, as the included Windows scheduler fully supports Zen 3.

Thanks for extra info. I’ve not kept up with the recent AMD changes so I didn’t know about that :+1: