Wind / Live Weather Still Broken

The fact that wind is broken is the specific part that is not up for debate. That is known and established.

We are discussing the extent that it’s broken. The fact that there is no response from the developers about this issue, potential workarounds, etc.

Glad I could clear this up.

1 Like

When looking at the world map with either the low-level or high-level wind filters enabled, it is obvious that MeteoBlue is supplying wind data for the entire world, just as they said they would do.

If the data is actually there, it makes no sense that whether the wind is injected into the sim environment or not would depend on the aircraft’s geographical location. Yet - that is exactly what appears to be happening.

If the wind works anywhere, it should (you would think) work everywhere.

2 Likes

Same here, rarely do I see live wx winds or jet streams which match meteoblue.

I think the lack of transparency about the state of the release is what annoys me most and there is a distinct lack of development engagement.

This will come good eventually, best way to sort these issues is to flood zendesk !

2 Likes

No need to clear it up, my reply was aimed at the way to talk to people - i am right you are wrong - art is holier than thou sort of attitude, very condescending, sarcastic, dismissive etc.

Weathers been fine for me so far, lets see what happens next patch.

Glad i could clear that up. (See what i did there?)

The simple fact is that the game says there should be wind X in location Y. And the wind is in fact 225 at 03 knots anywhere near that location, for a large part of the planet. That is broken. And that is an objective fact. This is my final reply to you on this matter.

Yeah, data is getting into the game, it’s just not making it into your flight in a working manner. It shows me everywhere what the wind should be when I select the destination too.

I do agree, I’ll make a bug-report and before reading this page, I made a thread MFS2020 AMAZING for sure but no turbulence in clouds, no turbulence in storm, MFS2020 what's up?

Glad to notice that I’m not the only one concerned about the importance of a solid engine-weather for the sake of MFS2020 REALISM!

Hopefully a patch will come soon, it has to, which should have been already dealt before the release date for such winds issues but let’s hope that a fix will land asap on our way like a kiss landing to make this new engine weather as great as it’s supposed to be!

Happy Flyings pilots! Beautifull skies :rainbow: and Dangerous skies ahead (potentially) ! :dash: :skull_and_crossbones: :cold_face: :airplane:

If it’s not addressed or even recognized in the next development update, I will be getting a refund and repurchasing the standard edition. Not worth $120.

1 Like

Oh I really hope that the MFS2020 will be concerned to fix this big issue, I just read some posts about legitimate complain about it, they should react soon as much as they watered us with a new super-realistic engine-weather’s coming through a miryad of advertisings! So I want to remain naive and believe that they will be aware of this MAYDAY MAYDAY MAYDAY!

I didn’t find a solid reason to buy the $120 Edition on my side, knowing that it is stock default birds and not “study level” despite that I’m nicely surprised about the flight model of the DR400 and the Cub for having flown both of them in real-life… Concerning the C152 well if someone can explain to me how I can rotate the bird at 35kt I’ll be like: serioulsy??? :thinking: :face_with_monocle: hhh… I’m happy with the Standard Edition to conclude.

Same issue here, hope this will be addressed ASAP.

2 Likes

Hey guys, is there anyone have the same issue about wind 225/3 kt on live weather?

No…really no one at all. It’s only what this thread is about but no, you must be the only one.

Something may have changed. I just did a live weather flight from EGBJ to EDTL and wind seems to have been correct. Very windy, 55kt wind at 6,000ft all over southern England which gradually diminished to a 14kt wind from 199 degrees on landing in Germany.

So it’s even worst than we thought. Because there is no such thing as 66kts winds over southern England now (look at the winds charts). They are max. 20-30 kts

Thing’s I’ve noticed:

1. 235/03 wind is in most of North America, and Australia
  2. The UK has wind that differs, but is incorrect from what is being reported a)by the sim in the map and b) from real world weather reports.

What we need in a weather system in my opinion…something similar to the engine they have in place except it will update the prediction based on new information as it becomes available and have it blend together realistically over time. This leaves a lot of error correcting open are with regards to historical data as well…if weather for a region is not available, what historical data do we have thats similar that we can infer what happens next? The only thing that seems to be correct about it at the moment is how constantly good the weather is depicted, but that does not, a weather engine make in my opinion. And you also have to get to wondering, are the inconsistencies in the weather related to the wind issues? I have a feeling yes…I have faith this will once again be captured, but hopefully not so long as to push away even the most dedicated simmers to the platform…many of us are very forgiving, but weather is something many of us take very seriously.

1 Like

He is talking about winds aloft, not surface winds. The GFS winds aloft text forecast from Foreflight for an altitude of 6000 feet, valid 1800Z today, Aug 25th shows: 254 at 55 at EGLL, 248 at 57 at EGMD. A little farther north at EGTC winds are 255 at 63

These are forecasts. All upper winds in aviation come from computer models that are updated every 6 hours. They are not based on direct observations the way airport METARS are. MeteoBlue has its own proprietary model. Foreflight uses the US GFS computer model, but the two appear to be in pretty close agreement.

2 Likes

I know that they only use forecast winds, i have been comparing upper winds since over 10 years and they are very accurate in XP and P3d, not at all in MSFS. I usually refer to the winds shown in https://skyvector.com/ and that should be accurate. They are the same or very similar to the ones shown in PFPX, Simbrief or Active Sky for example. And there was no 66kts winds over South England forecasted at 6000ft for today afternoon. There were strong winds forecasted but that was for 6h this morning, not for 12h or 18h.

1 Like

The forecast winds I listed in my previous post came from the NOAA worldwide forecast model from the US aviation weather service. Active Sky and PFPX are also showing the exact same conditions over the southern UK at 6000 feet I just checked both within the last 10 minutes.

Here is a chart directly from the UK Met office itself. Aviation winds for 5000 feet at 25 August at 1800Z over the UK.

https://www.aro.lfv.se/Links/Link/ShowSWC?time=1800&torlinkName=SWC%2FWC%2018&selectedSourceName=F050&fileMaxAge=1200

Even at 5000 feet, winds over Southern England show between 50 and 60 knots.

At least 5 independent sources (including MSFS) indicate the same forecast wind speeds aloft over the UK today. Skyvector is the the only one that is showing something different.

SURFACE winds in MSFS may be substantially different than official observations, and in many places don’t work at all, but in those few places where winds do currently work, the upper winds in MSFS appear to be very close to official forecasts.

1 Like

Ok you’re right. I looked only at skyvector because it uses to match very well the NOAA ones. Here obviously not.

Skyvector is usually very good. I use their charts a lot, but it could be that their current upper air chart has not updated - or maybe it is for tomorrow, because the upper winds over the UK are forecast to diminish later tonight into tomorrow. By midday on the 26th the 6000 foot winds over the southern UK are forecast to be much lighter - between 20 and 25 knots.