Windows 11: Did you experience any issue running VR, or w/o VR on MSFS?

Some folks are getting stutters with Win 11 (side windows, low altitude, and heli flyers) but a temporary fix is to use ODT to open the console window - google it.

Iā€™m happy with Oculus Virtual Desktop now minus the the audio problems. But Iā€™ll have to give this a try. Is this what you are referring to, https://www.reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/pmqnh2/potential_windows_11_oculus_link_stutter/

So is everyone upgrading to 11 or are you guys doing clean installs?i know clean install is the preferred option always, but is it really necessary/worth it this time? Always quite a hassleā€¦

Donā€™t do it! My ch flight sim yoke does not work properly. The scenery gitters as I move my head. Crashing to desktop. H2 Reverb.

@Michail71,
Yes that is the reddit reference but I never really figured out the Autokey part of it - so I just let the console window come up and put the actual 2D sim window on top of it.

Virtual Desktop eliminated most of my issues. I still have to run the Oculus console window to get rid of an audio stutter. But I donā€™t seem to need to put it in the foreground either.

Iā€™ve since tuned my settings up to get some really nice visuals and performance for a GTX 1070. Iā€™m just flying small props around GA airports but itā€™s been really smooth. After some suffering I really appreciate the good performance.

I donā€™t think a clean install from Windows 10 would be needed like back in the old days. Itā€™s basically like every other Windows 10 system update. But Windows 11 is not VR ready/friendly without some work. MS changed background processes and it can impact some of the services needed for VR.

It supposedly helps to turn Game Mode off too, which can impact background services. Iā€™ve only read that in other places, donā€™t know if itā€™s true.

Also, my Oculus Link cable really seems to suck, even with the console fix.

I downloaded the new video drivers NVIDIA and had success. They made an update for Win 11

Iā€™m on win 11, latest nvidia drivers, G2 and for the last 8 hrs of flying Iā€™ve had no problems. Iā€™ve gradually been turning things up. Iā€™m up to 300 terrain level of detail 200 Object detail high buildings and trees,ultra clouds still running smooth in vr so far. Donā€™t know fps I donā€™t have that on.
Iā€™m on an i9 12900, RTX 3090 no overclocking. Only 3rd party item is the Sky4sim tablet.
I raise 1 item up and fly it for about an hour and will keep trying that till it starts to degrade.

Windows 11 since the first week it was available. Was able to use my Vive Pro 2 with MSFS up until the Vive Console update on the 14th of Jan. Now MSFS (1.21.18.0) crashes each time I load the game (80% of the loading bar) and the Windows Event Log shows an issue pointing to G:\Steam\steamapps\common\VIVEDriver\App\ViveVRRuntime\ViveVR_openxr\ViveOpenXRSRWorks\ViveOpenXRSRWorks.dll. Sent a message to Steam support and they say they cannot help me as they donā€™t support Windows 11 systems. They actually asked me to roll back to Windows 10. If I uninstall everything to do with the headset I can run MSFS just fine. Sucks big time.

When you upgrade, there can be many things within the Window OS that got reset from your accustomed settings.

I would look at win11 Settings, Systems, Power and Sleep and set those to longer times. It may go to sleep while loading. Check USB timeout times; it may timeout too soon.

Just a thought.

Guys, last post here was 18 days ago, I know Microsoft have release some updates since then.
I have tried the upgrade to Win 11 about 3 months ago, and decided to roll back to windows 10 because the stuttering was to big on windows 11, and on win 10 I have way less stuttering.

So my question is, was any improvements with the last updates, is it working at least the same way as Win 10, or is it still too early to upgrade again?

Thanks!

My personal experience:

I am having a very good and smooth experience in Win 11 and Iā€™ll never go back to Win 10.
I am in the Insider program and I use the Beta build and till now no issues at all, smooth as silk.

During the Christmas vacation I did the stupid step to install the Insider Dev build and I had a very bad experience, reinstall everything and go back to the Beta resolved definitely the issues.

I have no hardware compatibility issues and my Reverb G2 in Win 11 works so great! FYI when I fly in VR, in the Nvidia control Panel I use a Max Frame Rate of 32fps, by doing so I get no stuttering and everything is smooth and I am having fun!

My HW config:

Ryzen 5950X
3080 RTX
128GB ram
NVMe SSDs

1 Like

I took the risk and went for it. Updated to Win11.

Reverb G2
Ryzen 9 3700x
32G RAM 3000Mhz

Ran MSFS fine. Using OpenXR Toolkit that mbucchia developed. So far, no problem.

Open XR <== Latest runtime ON, Scale 100%

OpenXR Toolkit <== Scale 80%, FSR, Sharpening 37%, World Scale 85%, Motion Compen -40%

MSFS settings <== scale 100%, 100/100, 16x, 4x4, Shadow 1024, 256, Cube Reflect 256
PreCache & Amb Occ & texture rez = H, all others Medium or off.

Iā€™d get right at the edge of smoothness. 31-38fps.

2 Likes

Thanks, Iā€™ll try it this weekend, let you know later!

1 Like

Using a Valve Index I found Win 11 gave me awful VR performance across all apps. Probably a SteamVR issue. Ended up reinstalling Win 10.

Sorry to here this! :frowning:

I just upgraded from an i7 10700 (10th gen) to the new i9 12900K (12th). Needed a new mb (Z690) and cooler to match. Kept my rtx3080. Then added W11. Wow!!! Whole new sim! So clear and smooth. Apparently W11ā€™s architecture is designed for the 12th generation cores. And man does it show! :+1:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.