Windows 11 Direct Storage

Will MSFS be updated with direct storage api for windows 11?

TBF most of the slow down in loading is down to waiting for server data. If you watch your drive reads a lot of the time is at 200mbs. Direct storage would be of very little benefit. Rebar would be though.

Rebar? Do you have any more info

I assume he means Resizeable Bar, or SAM for AMD cards.

1 Like

nVidia supports resizable BAR as well.

Yes, Nvidia = Resizable Bar and AMD = Smart Access Memory. Just pointing out they call the same technology with different names.

I’d like to know the answer to this as well, definitely the amount of content in community folder impacts load times and it would be nice to get some improvement on that in windows 11.

It means allocating GPU memory to game more game data. Many here use 3090 with 24gb of memory. Most of the time I sit with 19GB free, worst case at 9GB in use with 15GB free.
This is a slow ride over NY. Icon a5

Eurofighter at max speed around NY

Rebar would be a huge upgrade to me if done right OFC. Some games just cannot implement it.

We asked about Rebar a few months back at the Q&A and got zero response.

I think it’s safe to say we are a ways away from any thing like Rebar or even DLSS or whatever AMD’s version is.

We don’t even have DX12 on PC and that was supposed to happen in August.

All - I cannot speak to Rebar, etc. I can say, game seems more stable and my temps are about 1-2 degrees less with Windows 11. I have had only one CTD and that was cause by trying to load a .pln file. MSFS just lies when is says it will load them. The CDT was in loop, because it took restart to clear it, as close game, tried to repoen, immediately CTD again. Since release, I have had 5 CTD period. 98% of the time under windows 10. It may even run better under W11. Cannot prove or verify, just a feeling. Loading time is same, timed other evening 3 minutes and 45 seconds from mouse click to main display with world map. XP loads faster, but only have North America Scenery, plane setup seems about the same in both, regardless of model.

As far as I am aware DS has nothing to do with network or drive speeds. It’s designed to shorten the call/transfer time between the CPU and GPU.

I doubt any time soon as MSFS on PC is still running on DX11. Also I don’t think NVME I/O is really an issue.

My point is that you do not spend much time waiting for the local system. Most of
your wait is due to load times for online data. Direct storage will have little effect on time spent waiting for the server. If you could make use of direct storage on an old system then maybe, but you cannot make use of direct storage without a 1TB M2 drive.

Where as resizable bar would remove the benefits of 32GB set ups, as you could make use of the GPU memory instead. Unfortunately most of the attempts at resizable bar have not been implemented very well. As such, there has been very little gain to be seen from it.

There is also the case that very few games that use memory in the quantities that MSFS does. MSFS seems the best case scenario for rebar. Some games have shown near 20% gains. Imagine getting a 20% to performance in MSFS, this is in the area that we got from WU5.

DX12 is in the pipeline for the near future. It was touted as being available in WU5, then moved back to WU6. Now it has been stated that when it comes, it will as an option for those who can make use of it. The devs are trying to implement it, but obviously there is some issues with it. I am fairly confident it will be a high priority item as Windows 11 has arrived. Windows 11 will use a DX12 ultimate revision.

I doubt that Win 11 Direct Storage will help much if any with data that is downloaded but it should surely be helpful for initial load times if/when it gets implemented in MSFS. My installation is about 178GB on disk not counting my Community folder. I have a huge collection of add ons from flightsim.to and other 3rd party sources, but I use add ons linker to selectively include them in my community folder. If I try to include too much at once the sim won’t load. I have my scenery and airport mods organized into folders by country and state so I just link in the things where I plan to fly.
The main point is with mods included I’m well above 178GB and that is a lot to load from disk, so if Direct Storage API can speed that up I would expect it to improve initial load of the sim and the flight but would not expect it to help with data downloaded during the flight other than once that is cached into rolling cache on disk.

You misunderstand what Direct Storage is! It has nothing to do with loading times or drive speeds. It’s an API that sits between the CPU and GPU, once implemented it should help to alleviate stuttering.

2 Likes

You know that MSFS has to implement this into their game, first, before it matters to any of us, right?

Yes of course. Just pointing out it has more benefits then just loading the game faster.

1 Like