Windows 11 is stupid! Help me out please people!

Got a new PC and 1st time with W11. Installed 2 drives from my previous PC. Although my M.2 drive with all of MSFS on it was the E drive, so I installed sata as D, ran that then pu tM.2 drive in PC but W11 decided that would be D drive instead. Ran XBox app and pointed it to the M.2 drive (D:\FlightSimulator folder). XBox decided that ‘This location isn’t set up for installing games’ WHAT! Said ‘Change your install options in Profile>Settings>General’. Went to settings, no General option.

I already seriously miss Windows 10

Please tell me that W11 is okay!

Why didn’t you just install the simulator anew, I never heard that you can just switch drives from PCs and expect applications to work. Or am I missing something here?

2 Likes

Your missing something then, I have moved MSFS across machines and with the exception of the launcher the game worked fine. I have moved it across drives on the same machine manually and had no problems, and I actually have managed to get it to run under linux (proton steam) with the files copied from the Win partition to the Linux partition with no problems at all.

You could’ve changed drive letter assignments in computer management.

Not sure this is a W11 issue. Suspect you’d have run into the same problems with a clean install of 10.

1 Like

Don’t think you get my point. I want to install on this M.2 drive. It won’t do that at all, whether I point it to the already installed folder. It will not install any game to this drive. As regards to reinstalling 123Gb from scratch is a pain for I have only 60mb/s download speed and I should not have to do that. The help about rectifying this is very poor. But then this is Microsoft. Not the brightest of company’s

You have it installed on only one drive or both drives,

It sounds like your saying it wont let you install on the new drive, and if that is the case you have to figure out why your m2 drive wont allow you to install it to the new drive.

If we’re talking about steam, then in the config menus somewhere you can define a new steam library on another drive and then install it there. If you talking MS Store, you’ll have to dig around there to see about defining a new install drive.

'It will not install any game to this drive" says to me something wrong with your drive setup and not the games.

Its not a W11 issue. Drives are assigned letters in order connected and the interface type. Just go into diskmanger and change the assigned drive letter.

You’ll need to change them to something out of the way first ( like K and L for example) and then change them back to the correct letter.

It’s probably the Microsoft Store settings or the MSFS launcher settings. You need to set the install path to the other drive.

Alan, a few things:

1. You can use the Computer Management app to change the drive letters of partitions if you decided you want to go back to your old mapping.

2. If you want to change which drive you install games to, you can do that in the Xbox app:

3. One option to avoid re-downloading is to create a new folder on your SSD (I use “F:\FlightSim”) and drag the OneStore and Community folders to that. Then reinstall MSFS (you just need to reinstall the main executable app, a couple of gigs) and then during Setup, when it asks where to install files, choose the folder you created. It will see the OneStore folder there and not re-download the 100+ gigs of content there.

1 Like

This forum is about MSFS, not ( specific) Windows11 related.
I’m still satisfied with W10 combined with MSFS.
The issues I have with the sim are mainly user/hardware bound…
Nothing to panic towards MS/Asobo

1 Like

You can change driver letters to anything you want, so long as it is a single letter.

Right click start menu > select disk management.
Right click the drive you need to change > select change drive letter.

1 Like

W11 is OK.

1 Like