WMR Scaling and Dev Tools - Some Explanations

The PPDPO setting in Oculus is equivalent to the OpenXR custom render scale.

Because you are using Oculus, you are using their implementation of OpenXR, so the custom render scale in the Developer Tools will have no effect on your display.

In your case, using Oculus, your “balancing” for FPS, detail etc. should be done by varying the values of Render Scale (in-game) and PPDPO (in Oculus Debug Tool) as you have found out.

I’m surprised with your rig that you are able to run Oculus PPD at 2 - when I was using my Rift S with my 1080Ti, generally anything above 1.4-1.5 would start to push my system too hard. It’s also interesting that you can run Render Scale as low as 40 and still be happy with the details. Maybe it’s because I’m getting old and my eyes aren’t what they used to be! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Maybe my brain has more tolerance to low FPS and missing details. I played FSX years ago and could live with its 15 FPS. I also are quite nearsighted, which means in my early childhood I was more used to not so clear views. :slight_smile:

That being said, I did find that SS=2 and TAA=30% brought me much brighter, more crisper, and more stable graphics than SS=1 and TAA=60%. The latter was unplayable even for its cartoon like colours.

I’m coming from X-Plane 11, I’ve flown in VR since 2015 with an Oculus Rift CV1, and since then VR is the only acceptable option for me to fly in a simulator.
Now I want to give a chance for MSFS 2020. I’ve found that the best solution to the MSFS VR the OpenXR dev tools. I’ve Reverb G2, I9700K @4.9, MSI 1080Ti and 64 Gb 3200 RAM. At first I was really disappointed with SteamVr about the very weak performance, but with OpenXr all is OK. In OXR Custom render scale is set to 50% and in MSFS all sliders are at Ultra or max settings, render performance at 100%. Above 1000ft the picture quality is fantastic and very smooth, but below that there is some stuttering present.
With X-plane I use a very useful application, the Oculus Tray Tool. OTT has an absolutly useful function: I can set ASW to 18FPS locked. With this setting X-plane can run total smooth.
I really want this setting to appear in OpenXR too. To my eyes the locked 18 Fps is perfect, isn’t disturbing. OTT has the ability to lock FPS at 30 and 45 as well. But me the 18 is the winner.
Is there any chance that this ability of setting will be built in OpenXR?

For those unfamiliar with this, please understand because of the nature of the lenses and the way the VR system is pre-distorting the image rendered, you have to render at a different resolution than the HMD panels.
Peter Peterson, working at HP VR, is saying it is about 1.5x larger for the G2 (3164x3092 in WMR OpenXR):
Definitive Answer for the 100% Resolution Discussion [reddit]

Does this mean that if I put the slider at 1800x1800, the system is really running 2700x2700 per eye, or 5400x2700 total?
if that’s the case then it doesn’t really sound like VR rendering is very different from 2d rendering performancewise, there is just so many pixels.

(Also asked this question here)

What do you mean by “running per eye” ?!

FS2020 is rendering at a certain resolution, which is the one you set in the settings. In order for a VR headset to display every single pixel, you have to render at a higher resolution than the headset panels native resolution. How much more depends on both the optical properties of the headset and the VR API distortions applied to the rendered view, but also on your own perf/visual acceptable balance.

In addition, you can configure FS2020 to rendering a certain amount of pixels, and extrapolate “in a visually pleasant way” these pixels to a higher amount for the headset.

For the reason of rendering to a higher res than the panels, you might want to watch Alex Vlachos videos (links at the end of the OP in “My VR Settings” discussions). For the “visually pleasant way” please read “My VR Settings” posts for explanations about the CAS Shader.

What do you mean by “running per eye” ?!

I’m talking about the resolution that we see on the scaling multiplier (1,832 × 1,920 at 100% scaling) matches exactly the amount of pixels that the app is rendering (per eye) or 100% scaling means that the app is rendering more pixels than 1,832 × 1,920 to achieve 100% scaling. Tbh I’m a little bit confused about all this, I’ll see the video.

I think 1,832 × 1,920 is a per eye resolution and the actual load on the gpu is twice the amount

You can find the following link in “My VR Settings” discussions:
Comparing Reverb G2 and Valve Index resolution and what does it mean with SteamVR and OpenXR

What is your actual framerate with those settings (GA, Airliners, dense areas)?
Is motion reprojection On or OFF?
I’m still amazed how you guys with 1080ti/2080ti GPUs can set everything to Ultra/Max and get resonable fps. I simply cannot do the same with my RTX 3070 which on paper should be at least at 2080ti level…

Yesterday I tried X-Plane in VR for the first time and exactly the same question popped up in my head… I’m a Boeing guy and the Zibo 737 is absolutely amazing (cockpit looks so real and immersive -really there is no comparison to MSFS FBW A320 not even mentioning the systems) but it looks like X-Plane needs a constant 45fps/eye to be buttery smooth which is again hard to achieve with G2 when there’s no ASW option avaliable…

Hi CaptLucky8:
I am a rookie on MSFS2020. I have an HP Reverb G2 on order but it is going to take a while to receive. I have been reading these posts to prepare myself… I currently use a Vive Pro headset. My aging eyes find reading airplane dashboards quite difficult in VR. I am wondering if the concepts and strategies you are laying out in this post would be relavant to my current situation, i.e. improving resolution and readability of text on dashboards. I recognize the settings would be quite different, however, I have never tinkered with the settings with my Vive Pro and am now wondering if I am leaving a lot of performance capability on the table…

Thanks for your informative posts.

With FS2020 there is no doubt TAA 100 is giving the best EFIS legibility, until they change the implementation.

However for anything else in the cockpit, be it analogue gauges, switches or buttons, even at TAA 50 you can get good results as long as the render resolution is close to the headset original resolution, and in the case of the G2 you’d then use a higher OXR rendering scale to extrapolate these pixels into something with more details (this is how it works with the CAS Shader).

Thanks to the G2 high resolution you can even render to 1.5K x 1.5K and still get good legibility. This is the render resolution I’m settling with with reproj. for the 2070S (which means about TAA60/70 + OXR65)

The only in between is the integral lighting which is suffering at TAA 50 and needs a minimum of TAA 70 in my opinion.

If the following gets enough votes, FS2020 will let us use a lower TAA with a higher OXR SS for overall and outside view details, while keeping EFIS sharp and clear.

Please vote!
EFIS Screens Problems and Solutions for higher legibility

Where to download the driver WMR OXR 103.2011.17003?

best regards

You can’t. It was the current one during the beta with v104 being the preview version. Now v104 is the current one and v105 the preview.

One question for clarification. When I have not installed the OPENXR Dev tools, the G2 uses nevertheless a kind of OpenXR tool, which I have not to install?

When I install the OPENXR Dev tool I am able to adjust the render scale, otherwise not?

The dev tool gives you access to settings you can change, otherwise it would be using default settings which Microsoft deem the best for you.

Thanks for your explanations, they are quite clarifying and helpful.

In the paragraph beginning: “Before I figured this out…” your parenthetical: “(If you open the WMR…)” is confusing to me. Are you suggesting WMR should be open together with SteamXR or that you can switch it back (turn it off) through the registry?

What is the preview version of the Development Tools OpenXR and where would I obtain them?

My HP Reverb G2 is to be delivered on Wednesday and I am trying to map out a reliable setup procedure. Thanks for your help in this regard.

CptLucky8 is the authority here but this is how I’m running my G2. I don’t have SteamXR or anything to do with Steam installed on my system.

I have only MSFS (of course), the Windows Mixed Reality portal, which drives the G2 and is installed as part of the headset setup process, and OpenXR Dev Tools from the Microsoft Store here

OpenXR Dev tools allows tweaking of the settings, I’m using a 50% custom render scale and motion reprojection turned off. Once the settings have been tuned in OpenXR the application can be closed. The Windows Mixed Realty portal will always run when you’re in VR mode.

3 Likes

So what do we set our settings at for us dumb folks that don’t understand a lick of what your saying!!!

new Nvidia driver released today… let the madness begin yet all over again… :slight_smile: 466.27

I’m getting stutters. i7-3770, 32Gb, GTX1070, Samsung Odyssey Plus

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.