WMR Scaling and Dev Tools - Some Explanations

Thank you for your detailed explanation of OpenXR, it is spot on and you are right it is sometimes confusing. Actually during the beta it has been discussed and explained a lot, and I’m now trying to re-post the relevant information without the beta details which are under NDA.

Now you’re using a different approach (TAA100+SS50 with a G2 for example) which is the same approach I’m also recommending for best EFIS clarity with the Index (TAA100+SS78 with the Index), and this is the point I’m highlighting: EFIS resolution depends on render resolution, not post-processing resolution.

In other words:

• For best EFIS clarity: TAA100 is paramount, then adjust SS to what your hardware can bear and forget about achieving both inside and outside clarity if your hardware can’t.
  • For best outside clarity, set higher SS (100 for the G2, no need above) and adjust TAA to what your hardware can bear.
  • For best clarity inside and outside (balancing one and the other always) maximize the difference ratio between TAA and SS to an optimal point (which will invariably be TAA60 or TAA70 with higher SS)
  • Otherwise purchase the fastest hardware you can get and be done with settings (TAA100+SS100)!

NB: I have very quite good results with the G2 with TAA110 + WMR SS50 and I’m actually torn between this one and TAA60 + WMRSS100.

8 Likes

I’m definitely going to be trying your alternatives later.

And hey, everybody, I’ve got one more piece of advice: Don’t try to put up an FPS counter in VR and drive yourself insane trying to wring out every 1 fps increase with tiny tweaks here and there. You’ll never actually fly. Load up the sim, choose an airport, and resist the temptation to take off your headset to go back to dev tools, or to hit escape and mess with graphics settings once you’re “close enough.”

You can see that others (CptLucky etc.) have done this work already, and “good enough, with hours more to fly” is way better that “perfect, with hours wasted getting it there.” Although–I have a funny feeling that some people actually enjoy that.:slight_smile:

4 Likes

Motion smoothing/motion reprojection/ASW (Oculus only) are the same thing I think. I see a massive improvement on my G2 with this enabled with little drawback. I’m curious why the captain, who understands this better than I do, recommends turning it off.

Interesting - I’m going to have to give 110/50 a try!

Quick Q - I haven’t had a chance to look, but is WMRSS100 in the latest Dev Tools setting the post-process resolution back to 3164x3092 as it was in v103?? Or does the scale of WMRSS still depend on your VRAM, like in v104?

Yes exactly! I’m glad my suggestion 2 days prior release has been included so quickly (might just be a coincidence as well!)

I’ve posted this here:
https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/my-2070-super-vr-settings-and-suggestions-valve-index/321913/112

1 Like

Ha. Yeah. Either the OpenXR devs were already thinking about it, or you have some serious influence at MS you didn’t know about! :rofl:

Guys this is some serious good stuff! Would anyone mind to translate this into oculus world? Should i be using 70% in game resolution scale and 1.1 super sampling in oculus tray tool? thank you!

1 Like

@wheeliemonsta All bets are open, I don’t know. I’ve also directly contacted a developer in the WMR group via reddit and he has quickly answered too. Now I just wish they’ll also address the other bug I’ve documented to them about the anti-CA process they’ve recently added into WMR and making the G2 more fuzzy than what you’d expect…

Thank you for your kind words! I wish I knew but I honestly even block FB domains at the system level… Having said this, I believe this is done in the tray tool and I’m sure this is documented someplace.

The latest FS2020 is now displaying the actual render resolution in the settings panel which is really helpful. The key to me is keeping the rendering resolution in a budget for my test system (9700K+2070S is fine at around 1900x1900) and then extrapolate the most I can. I can push a little more pixels with the latest WMR OXR with a slight decrease of fps but razor sharp EFIS (TAA110+SS50).

With cv1 speaking of razor sharp feels funny :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

First of all: amazing job as always, @CptLucky8, and thanks to you as well, @CurdledTree18, for the precious explanation.

However, I’m still slightly confused: Aren’t you using SteamVR OpenXR runtime @CptLucky8?! Or are your suggestions only targeting WMR OpenXR?

I’m mainly asking because I need to get SteamVR working with a reasonable performance to also get my overlays for external applications working in the cockpit…

1 Like

I haven’t tried yet, but theoretically you should be able to pin desktop windows using WMR. Hit the windows key, I believe?

i have the 3090 with g2 and i cant have good experience with fs2020. i have my settings on high mixed to medioum. In the game 80 % render and open xr default 100%. Do you suggest 50 % on xr and 100 % on the geame render?

It’s nothing but bad against what I’ve posted here… SteamVR + OVR Toolkit is just the gold standard IMO.

@TheMacallan1605 This post is only about WMR OXR (for the G2 for example).

I’m currently preparing a similar discussion as “My VR Settings” (for the Index mostly, but not only it seems) for the Reverb G2 specifically, because although 80% of my recommendations still hold true, the increased panel resolution and the WMR OXR implementation gives some additional room for increasing the graphics settings and still getting good fps. As a matter of fact, FS2020 VR with SteamVR+Index was smoother with SteamVR 1.13.x. Since 1.14 it is all messed up in terms of CPU/GPU sync and frame timing and this is causing a lot of stuttering in FS2020 you can only workaround in mostly lowering Terrain LOD to 50% on my test system.

Ah, okay, thank you for clarifying this! And yes, something definitely went wrong with this. Had an acceptable performance with my (outdated) i7700k+1080TI before during the Beta, now it’s gotten much worse.

Hoping for a fix there soon…

1 Like

This information was amazing in getting my 3080/G2 setup far better than what I wrangled with yesterday. Total game changer. Thank you CurdledTree18 and CptLucky8.

2 Likes

Yes. Those settings were awful on my 3080, and your card is only about 15% faster.

I am getting confused…Yesterday my post process resolution was 3164x3092. Since this morning, not sure what I changed, I can’t get it go higer than 2534x2476. My custom render scale is set to 100% in OpenXR Dev tools. My RS in MSFS is at 70%. I went to 100% RS in MSFS, but still my post process resolution does not get higher than 2534x2476…I thought I had a handle on this…

I am running version 104.2012.9003 of OpenXR dev tools.

EDIT: After restarting the sim, the setting came back. I am able to see the full resolution now…Only thing left to figure out is the wobbling/shaky buildings and planes while turning on the ground.