Australia: The best places to fly… & add ons and updates for Australia

Checked out the world update for Australia. Focussed on Sydney, Melbourne and Perth.

(Australia World Update 7 | Discovery Flights: Sydney, Melbourne, Perth | MSFS 2020 | Xbox Series X - YouTube)

1 Like

The reefs off Cairns seem to be well represented. Seen these many time on commercial flights into
Cairns from the south to land on RW15.

5 Likes

Those are only a few ones that are well represented…search the ones near Green island to the south

1 Like

So I bought the FlyingIron Spitfire. Had a heap of fun flying around Cairns (YBCS) and Townsville (YBTL) this morning. Definitely a handful at take off but the landings were better. Loving the new world update here’s some screenshots.

6 Likes

Great shots. The spitfire looks amazing.

2 Likes

It seems that some of the reef further out is in much lower quality. You can see it here where the outer edge of the reef (and any reef further out) is low res. If you compare this reef in MSFS with the same reef in Bing maps you can see that the higher res satellite imagery is just not available. This is no surprise as satellite imagery generally covers less the further you are from land. Don’t forget, Asobo have managed to map the WHOLE PLANET for this simulator, in mostly spectacular detail, so this small unavoidable transgression in quality is acceptable in my opinion.

2 Likes

Very much love the Photogrammetry in the North, spent a lot of time in Cairns and Townsville, even Brisbane is fantastic.
One thing that really ■■■■■■ me off is tree sizes, it’s been 2 years of people complaining but nothing yet.
I use Bijan and it’s great but it seems to NOT work where MSFS has photogrammetry, so some of the trees in these new cities are stupid, higher than 15 level towers. The worst is Cairns and Townsville waterfront. :face_vomiting:

3 Likes

I generally like WU 7, just one huge feature is still missing: There is a famous 250km long coral reef on the west coast of Australia, called the Ningaloo Reef. It’s only located a few hundred meters off the beaches of the North-West-Cape, which has two airports YPLM & YEXM. It’s the largest fringing reef in the world, a massive tourist attraction, but it’s still not represented in MSFS. Very disappointing! It would be great if the awesome team at ORBX could look into it and maybe add it in a later update.

3 Likes

I found it… Its pretty underwhelming from the air, and a LOT of the reef is REALLY low quality textures with blurry or pixelated textures. Sometimes they are bordered with a tile that is very high resolution that actually looks great!

1 Like

Check out this post here:

^ especially the photo.

Then check out the Ningaloo Reef on Bing Maps and see if the higher res satellite imagery is available. If it is then post your idea in the Orbx forum.

1 Like

Mention it to Bijan on his thread or Discord and I’m sure he’ll add it to his “todo” list. He’s already “done” a few photogrammetry areas but it’s not apparently the easiest of things.

3 Likes

Yeah i sent him some info, he was good about it.
Legend.

1 Like

Loving every minute, it was definitely worth the trip all the way from Holland.

Currently in Paraburdoo:

1 Like

Flying the Mk IX along the Coorong in South Australia, enjoying the view.

Depart YGWA to the south, turn left and follow the coast. 3000ft gives a good view. Arrive YKIG.

And yes that is a RAF not RAAF livery.

2 Likes

I’ll give this one a go next time I log in, thanks.

Now in East Timor, only one more leg to go to Darwin. Be spending the next few hours updating my Aussie TP airports and looking for flight plans. Will try a couple of the suggestions in this thread but happy to learn of more.

enjoying hunting down aussie motor racing circuits, forza with wings

1 Like

Anyone here who has flown over Adelaide and surrounds since WU7 and found the blood red shadows and hills a little off-putting please cast a vote on Adelaide City - Red Wash!

2 Likes

Also post this in: Discussion + Poll: World Update VII (1.22.2.0)

1 Like

Flight over the Gawler Ranges in South Australia. Depart YKBY, have a quick look over Streaky Bay then turn exactly NE and fly direct to YPWR.

Route takes you directly over Lake Acraman which is the centre of a meteor impact crater from 580 million years ago and up to 90km diameter making it very significant.

It’s usually a dry salt lake but here it is filled with water. This general area has just had extreme floods so maybe the sim is realistic at the moment!

I climbed to 30kft to get a better view of the area.

Certainly get a feel for the impact from up there.

Landed at Woomera, RAAF base and home of the rocket and missile tests.

Parked up for the night as a tourist but civilians aren’t allowed to live there so I moved on the next day.

3 Likes