World update france and a tiny bit of benelux

Thanks for this great addition to my topic about poi’s… :wave:

Completely unrelated

Look again :slight_smile: it is a dyke. Along with the water locks and the parking halfway.

1 Like

Ahh i see now you’re right. First time i flew above it at 4000ft so may not be the right angle lol. I did saw the waterlocks but thought that was just it and the dyke itself was just a flat cutout aerial image.

Still, wouldn’t mind seeing the deltaworks or measlantkering instead of another french castle.

Great for holidays though!:blush:

Ps. if we ever get 150kts winds here we’re screwed

There’s a decent mod out there, but I agree. Having all the delta works would be awesome.

Not even Bordeaux got a photogrammetry treatment, despite being a rather pretty town. I believe in France, only Paris got it.
However, there have been some mesh updates and the POIs have been pretty satisfying (even if it’s not even 1/4 of what could have been done in France, but hey, let’s not diss all the work that has been done already).

I think these are the photogrammetry cities that shipped with the release on Aug 20th:

Aix-en-Provence
Bordeaux ( :wink: )
Lille
Marseille
Montpellier
Rennes
Rouen
Strasbourg

We can now add Paris to that list.

Concerning Eindhoven Airport: habe you checked this out?

It’s all good that missing airports are available as mods. But I’m not going to manually download them all…

How does AI react to a missing airport… :wink:

Ah it is not in the sim at all? Not even non-handcrafted?

No, there are a few hundred airports missing, including some bigger ones like Eindhoven, Stuttgart and Malaga. (they fixed Malaga by now I think)

Luckily they said in the Q&A they are looking into it. Let’s hope they fix it some time soon. :wink:

Eindhoven airrport.
Nice one!
Thank you very much.

I appreciate all the mods out there. Might even try the eheh airport. But i’m not to keen about having too much in my community folder. As for now i only have the just flight piper arrow and the IndiaFoxtEcho MB-339. So far no problems with updates or whatever. And i want to keep it that way.

It’s just a shame that bing isn’t up to par with google in terms of coverage and quality. So we just have to deal with this. But again, the new aerial imagery in this update is at least a big step forward.

As for the poi’s. i’m not really interested in those small buildings they handcrafted. Especially not when they are in photogrammetry areas. In my opinion these buildings are barely noticable from the sky between the dense buildings of the photogrammetry. So instead of having 4 or 5 poi’s in amsterdam it would be nicer to see some more noticable 3d objects.

I also think that photogrammetry cities are allready intresting as they are so people will explore them. With or without the extra handcrafted buildings. I bet no one will fly around zeeland to explore because there is hardly anything interesting to see from the world map. However it’s a nice area to fly. Also around the veluwe is nice. (teuge airport) So it would make more sense to have some poi’s in those area’s instead of focussing them all in a photogrammetry area.

I totally agree.
I don’t want my community folder being flooded with hundreds of singe POI’s. I would like to see bigger POI packs for a country from commercial developers.

I think the real power in these updates lies in the DEM. The improvement is really noticable.

However, when this DEM is combined with good aerial imagery, the results will get really close to photogrammetry.

Unfortunately, large parts of the Netherlands, Belgium and France, have pretty low resolution satellite imagery with a lot of green in them (green roads).
Which makes the A.I. buildings look off too.

I really hope that Bing can get better aerial images. It will improve the look and feel a lot.

1 Like

Yes i agree. Altough the aerial images did improve with this update. It’s still lacking. But i don’t think this will be improved by much in the near future. Google earth is basicaly the go to place for most people so i don’t think bing is going to invest too much in getting better quality imagery if most people are just using google instead. So basically they’d just do it for microsoft flight simulator… and i aint see that happen. Bing has lost this game allready too long ago. So this sim might be state of the art new technology… It’s still limited by the content you can feed in it.

I totally agree.
The DEM is wonderfull, but the aerial imagery still old and often low resolution… where I live I have a lot of building on the road because of the low resolution… it breaks everything :frowning:

If anyone wants to see how horrendous Belgian ortho looks, start your flight at EBKT and fly towards the sea. It’s one cloudy mess. The whole city of Ypres looks like when it was bombed out during world war 1. Unrecognizable to say the least. I was hoping for better ortho photos. Looks like I’ll have to wait until I don’t know when.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.