X-Plane 11.50 Final Vulkan just released

For competition sake, lets hope this pushes MS to rank DX12 & Vulkan higher on their list of priorities. The performance improvements are real.

4 Likes

I’d been flying the betas up until MSFS was released but Vulcan actually doesn’t make much difference on my rig. Some of the worst stutters are gone but I didn’t have enough of that to really bother me before.

At the moment I’d only use if for airliners, which I kind of miss but there is no way I’d go back to it for GA flying. Especially when on my machine the performance is pretty similar but MSFS looks massively better everywhere except England where I have Orbx scenery in X-Plane. But I like flying in my homeland and Orbx doesn’t cover that in X-Plane.

But now that Vulcan is final maybe they will start focusing on a similar terrain upgrade as MSFS. They might even use Google if Blackshark can support that or there is another company out there with similer tech that does.

4 Likes

I saw quite a performance hike. GPU and CPU usage down 50% !!

If that can transfer that to MSFS it will be like night and day.

With upcoming RTX cards, you’ll be having VR in Ultra Settings @ 4k per eye.

1 Like

Wow, that is impressive! Though are you saying it is just using less resources? What does that mean for FPS?

I don’t measure CPU/GPU usage because to me I don’t care if it is using 10% of them as long as I get usable FPS.

MSFS might be the first product that makes me get a VR headset so I’d certainly like more FPS. Most of the time I am around 45-50 with occasional drops to 30 on scenery loading (which I think they will imnprove).

2 Likes

Personally, I found VR was more usable and enjoyable via Vulkan, so to keep the focus on MSFS, I also would like to see DX12 implemented to improve performance when they eventually release a VR version of the sim.

i tried XP11 with Vulkan and i must admit its very impressive with fps from 60 to 100 all the time not stutters just a smooth as glass flying experience now they just have to add better scenery and season with a ATC upgrade and MSFS watch out

2 Likes

lets hope this pushes MS to rank DX12 & Vulkan higher on their list of priorities.

How about they finish what they told me I paid for first?

4 Likes

I agree, but this is just another thing in the laundry list that really probably should have been from the start given DX12 and “next gen” platform…

Disagree, they never sold MSFS as DX 12, they were quite clear it was a DX11 game. They have failed to realize a LOT of things they did sell the game on.

3 Likes

I just can’t understand why they made it DX11 in the first place, tbh. They are the pioneers of the technology. DX12 is known to be massively more efficient with current hardware. Yes, it would have meant a longer delay to release, no doubt, but I have to ask, what were they thinking?

1 Like

Incorrect.

They were quite clear that when they started developing MSFS a couple of years back, DX12 didn’t exist, so they had to use DX11.

They’ve also promised that DX12 support will come in due time. But honestly if they’re taking so long to fix issues despite being reported on Alpha, I don’t know if we can expect the DX12 update to be in the near future.

5 Likes

Nice!! I was using the vulkan beta and the performance increases on my rig were unreal. Definitely impressed

When XP11 went VULKAN during beta my system got a huge performance boost Depending on where I flew. Rural areas where the fps stayed around 50fps I was hitting over 100 and had to lock the framerate.

I don’t understand,

one horrible XP11 topic is still quit and now another one heh…

1 Like

Read part “lets hope this pushes MS to rank DX12 & Vulkan higher on their list of priorities.”

No,

I read topic’s name :slight_smile:

My GPU (2080) 11% BUT 85° :smiley: FPS between 35-45 around Frankfurt. Still Cloudflicker…Fresh install, no plugins. Still a joke compared to FS2020.

Here’s the full list of changes throughout the 17 beta versions and 3 release candidates:

Release Candidate 3 (After 17 Beta)

• Work around AMD driver update 20.8.3 crashing with Vulkan.
  • XPD-10758 Fixed C172 trim wheel manipulator on Vulkan.
  • XPD-11009 Windows clipping in OpenGL.
1 Like

As I’ve still got a fair bit of payware on XP11, including a fair few good airliners, I’ll certainly be giving the new update a try and at least until VR and equivalents all of those airliners get released for MSFS, I’ll be likely to keep XP11 installed on my system.

On a Nvidia 2070 Super GPU, i5 7600k and Win10, I have seen no improvements to performance with Vulcan despite the hope of smoother game play. I still get about the same fps as 11.41 and still have stutters. For me it was a no show.

1 Like

That makes you almost unique then! Sounds like summat isn’t right to me.

2 Likes