X-Plane 11.50 Final Vulkan just released

Not that unique unfortunately.

If you have a look at the forums quite a few users have reported no real performance gains with Vulcan on their rig. And for what it’s worth, I have been tweaking Xplane and nvidia settings consistently now for about three and a half years so I am fairly experienced with its performance optimisations. I am not new to Xplane or to tweaking computers.

If I remember correctly the devs mentioned early on that fps increases with Nvidia GPUs could potentially be much less than for AMD GPUs and that unfortunately proved to be the case with my rig. Not blaming the devs here because the change to Vulcan did benefit a lot of users. However, I don’t believe my situation is unique.

As it is, with my rig, Vulcan has given me no improvements to date. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

xplane 1.4 ran pretty good with my old 6700k 1080. 1.5 runs even better and screaming on my new 9900k 2080ti. what concerns me is the constant low bandwidth alert that wants to turn off photogrammetry over my 150m connection. with that off msfs2020 looks and runs a lot like xplane. so maybe this sim will push xplane to photogrammetry… :wink:

I flew around London In X-Plane 11 with TrueEarth GB South and then I tried MFS and even with Orbx scenery in X-Plane I was shocked by how much better MFS was, it was incredible. X-Plane is a decent sim but please don’t underestimate the work the MFS graphics engine is doing to reproduce the visuals.

If MFS moves to DX12 then it certainly wouldn’t be an apples to apples comparison. Sorry guys I know you know this but just thought I’d mention it anyway!

6 Likes

I have been X-Plane user since 10 years now.
In my opinion i cant see any competition between those 2 sim platforms even with D11 vs Vulkan.
Of course there is a huge improvement with Vulkan ( no stutters, better fps performance etc) but try to fly around London with orbx scenery , full clouds weather + FF320 or any other demanding aircraft at maximum settings , and let me know about performance. And make it worst ? Imagine X-Plane to have full volumetric weather system with 8 layers on above scenario that i described. Maybe fps would go below 20
I will be using both sims, as i will never betray X-Plane but sorry MFS is another League/level. Asobo are pro and created a powerful beast ( with more headroom for sim to breath even with d11) and when the first payware advance aircraft’s are going to be released we are all going to see the big difference.

8 Likes

i agree its a pretty picture with great performance. i went all out for this sim with a new pit. i just hope the performance remains once they get the functionality we are use to. in the mean time i go sight seeing here and fly my planes over there. they are working hard for us tho. the last simconnect patch added a lot for me. just waiting on working navigation and panels.

Same here!

Thsi is my long statement in perpetual mouvement:

It’s hard to get back to Xplane for vfr flights except in some places with Orbx sceneries…

I do miss better accurate weathers and some accurate flight models especially the study level birds I used to fly like the SP-30 that is coming on MFS2020 soon by the way which is such a great news! Birds with wear/tear/maintenance (the only ones I fly, same for the tubes as FlyJsim B727/732 and FF757) BUT so far I’m ok (by waiting) flying the new mod of the DR400NG, C152X! One of the most important for me is the weather engine (still partially broken) but strangely for some X reason that weren’t mentioned in the last patch, since, it’s getting so much better in Europe, at least in France/England/Italy (it’s only engaged my own experience) where the wind/layers seem to work in such a better accuracy compared to METAR and the wind forecast map I use (same that I use in real VFR flights by the way) it’s getting better for sure, same for the turb that I now have even in final! … but still some improvements are still a big need for the MFS2020 engine weather which should be added in some parts in the next update’s coming this month.

On the other hand concerning Xplane I see that HST is coming loudly in a good way to add a new engine weather in XP which looks very promising…

I wish that Xplane will provide better landscapes because even if I have a bunch of ortho sceneries + Simheaven that compensate the lack of visual effects on the ground by adding houses, trees, roads, villages, towns etc, where they are supposed to be, well, after weeks flying on MFS2020 despite of some issues, it’s very hard to get back on Xplane (visually) because it feels empty now (because of the comparison that the brain does!) where MFS2020 is full of life…
Well I was about to give up on MFS2020 after being a victim of inaccurate datas weather during days in a row but again since the last patch I’m very surprised that the weather is much more accurate than before (how come?! the patch didn’t mention anything about the weather but it is mentioned in the roadmap for the next update!) and despite of the lack of turbulence in clouds for instance, I start to enjoy MFS2020 a lot in France and knowing that the next update will fixed some engine weather issues etc that’s cool… Also I run a i6700 16g RAM, 1080 GTX, 4K screen 52", reduced to 2560*1440p, on High settings, I’m impressed how it goes smooth on my side, stutters free (only flying small birds in MFS2020, always in Live weather mode) … I was sure that I will have to buy a new machine but there’s no need for that, good job Asobo!

My C152X seems to be accurate in terms of flight model now since a passionate and talented simmer worked on it, same for the DR400NG that was just fixed in many parts 48h ago, drags etc (new cfg model) + my “accurate weather” at my palce, it looks like the physics works better as well so I started to be satisfied step by step with MFS2020!.. sure Xplane is like an old and good reliable friend I can’t betrayed him hhh! And Xplane is still Xplane, I also miss IFR tubes flights in MFS2020, check the Neo that could be the Zibo here by the way, some creative simmers work on her to make her more sexy in MFS2020 skies!

Anyway Xplane have all my credits in terms of physics/aerodynamism but now I do feel that flying my C152X gets close to that… I won’t say the same flying the tubes in MFS2020 or twin engines and flying in some MFS2020 locations where the engine weather is still now totally broken! (220/3kt wind/issues, no turb etc) again I didn’t have this issue in France anymore!
I also wish that MFS2020 provides turbulence in CB/TS updraft/downdraft, ice in CB and other metereology phenomena that I thought would be there in the first release based on huge advertisings, I was wrong! it will come I hope soon! At least severe turb/winds in CB is a must have for the sake of realism! Xplane/Active sky deal with that feature! So it has to come in the next MFS2020 update hopefully, in order to avoid thunderstorms etc when you fly a Cub or C152!!!
I think those realistic features will come soon in MFS2020 as it’s coming better on Xplane based on the update’s coming from HST: (see the link below) and Happy Flyings on both of the sim! :airplane: :dash: :elephant: :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Orbx UK plus Orbx EGLC plus FF A320 = 15 FPS at EGLC (11.41 with plugins and tools) 11.5 fresh install without anything 35-45 FPS. And still looks ugly…

3 Likes

Imagine on your Scenario to add Xenviro with just 1 layer of volumetric clouds ( and not in vulkan) …fps will be a single number.
D11 , D12, Vulkan , Metal ,Opengl APIs etc are there for everyone. The most important part is how you develop , and Asobo are …professionals.

4 Likes

I’m not worried that much, just some sort of fire or buzz. Here the OP certainly would have keep the attention of MSFS development focus
Now, when it come to XP, there’s still some hard work ahead before they hope to reach the same visual level as in MSFS, drawing shadows are dropping FPS drastically in XP and big artifacts are still present. Not already checked final release yet.
I love both of these sims and take them for different goal of simulation.
I really like were ASOBO and MS bring already MSFS and were it goes, unbelievable and irreplaceable Flight Simulator, I’m not bothered of any opened discussion on other sims that would had benefit themselves to being get inspired of the huge amount of work made on MSFS in a so small time period

I remember the “announcements” in the past. Nothing was delivered.

The past can be right because it’s the past but let’s Wait & See for the future… you are right to mention it, I don’t have the X Ambience but I see on forums that there are many complaints about the previous version (perfs that make it unflyable etc) so I try to believe that the dev is aware about it, he did response to that in a honest way I think, I mean he has to because there is a big “wait” for the next Xambience pro, I’m part of it so hopeffuly it will go this good way…

Also, nowadays it looks like it’s THE new standar model of virtual business to be loud on advertisings and releasing beta with missing important features more than a “finished product”, look here! But at least we have patches and updates to heal issues in a rapid way somehow (even if some issues should have been fixed before releasing the new sim particulary about the engine weather, the corner stone!) anyway patch/updates are coming especially about the MFS2020 Live weather soon, this month finally! …

Well, let’s Wait & See for both, future will say the truth more than us, hope that it will match with our legitimate expectations! :wink:

1 Like

I suspect most of those reporting no gains are doing what some do with Fs too, pushing the hardware to the absolute limit then expect Vulkan to somehow make up for the fact that their hardware is running at its maximum capability. If you dont see an improvement there is a reason for it and its isnt a failing with the new graphics engine.

2 Likes

Meh. I’m more partial to Klingons.

::Badda-bum-tissssh::

Thank you. You’ve been a wonderful audience. Good night folks!

Okay Austin. Whatever you say.

What I said applies just as much to FS engine as it does to X-Planes ok Satya?

My post was in no way an attempt to garner support XPlane. All I am saying is now that they have moved in that direction and released 11.50, this may give MS more of a reason to prioritize this type of thinking, which could only help performance. That’s it!

People just either refuse to listen or simply hear what they want to hear - laminar underlined it from the very beginning that move to vulkan is to get rid of stutters that plagued xplane as it was based on opengl. It got worse when xp gained momentum and lots advanced of 3rd party sceneries/acft came in. 3rd party literally stretched their opengl implementation over the limit. Therefore laminar decided to spend like almost 2 years doing virtually nothing else but to pay the technical debt they had with very bugged and old rendering engine. Any FPS gains were to be a bonus and not guaranteed, depending on cpu/gpu you had. If you already were GPU limited, vulkan would not help. It also equalized perf differences between nvidia/amd, as amd had worse opengl drivers.

Similarly, MSFS now suffers a bit from stutters as as DX11 is not that well optimized for multicore as DX12. And it will only get worse when heavy 3rd party stuff steps in. But then again - move to DX12 will get rid of stutters (probably) but will not double your fps if you are already GPU limited, it may improve a bit but it will not break laws of physics and double or thriple your frames :stuck_out_tongue:

My own experience is that Vulkan has doubled my FPS, I get until 120 FPS in some circumstances but mostly about 60 FPS rather stable for now.
This doesn’t prevent they still have to fix shadows handling in all parts, which currently behave weirdly, situation which is acted by them, written on their site, with already filled bug and requires their attention

Maybe, but a word of caution. I remember LR saying Vulkan improves the pipeline and makes it more efficent to communicate to the GPU also freeing up CPU cycles. But there is no point having a more efficent pipeline if your GPU is already maxed out at 100%.

Something to be weary of with MFS which as we know already agressively utlises the GPU. Thats not to say there will not be performance increases - some of the pipeline improvements allows the GPU to perform tasks quicker but definately if you have less headroom in the GPU your performance gains will be less.

2 Likes

Yeah the shadows in XP are bad, FS shadows are miles better.