X52 Pro Throttle axis problem

I’ve spent a frustrating afternoon trying to resolve an axis issue with the Saitek X52 Pro and MSFS2020, I can see from searches I’m not the only one but have yet to find a solution.

No matter what I try the throttle axis which is Joystick L - Axis Z will not behave as an incremental control but just a 0 or 100% switch within MSFS. There is a single point in the middle of the controller where it switches and any slight movement back or forwards sends the value to 0 or 100% and the sensitivity controls have no effect on this behaviour.

The controller does work correctly within in Windows, I can bring up the HOTAS properties panel from the device list and I can see a smooth incremental control of the Z axis so the fault is within MSFS. It also works perfectly with X-Plane and MS Simulator-X!

I can reassign one of the axis controls on the right hand joystick and the throttle works linearly as expected but this is at the expense of aileron or elevator control so isn’t a solution. Similarly if I assign Joystick L - Axis Z to elevator control it has the same faulty binary action, it’s as if MSFS2020 sees that control as a switch and not a variable axis.

I’ve tried removing all profiles and letting MSFS rebuild them, creating new ones, deleting any throttle controls mentioned in the keyboard or mouse sections. I’ve disabled the controller in FSX and resintalled the latest 64 bit drivers I could find V8.0.121.0 from April 2017.

I’ve run out of ideas short of throwing it out the window, I wonder if anyone can suggest something else to try or if you have the same controller working correctly within MSFS is it possible to share the profile so I can try it here.

Appreciate any suggestions you might have, thanks!

Is this a Steam or MSStore version of MSFS?

You mentioned using logitech or saitek drivers. Did you try windows default drivers? I never installed any others and everything runs fine.

Does MSFS add a + or - behind the name of the assignment? I had this with my throttle quadrant and when I chose proper one from the list I got the message that the assignment was not advised… And it didn’t work.

There are quite a couple of different throttle assignments to choose from. Normal “throttle Axis”, Throttle Axis 0 - 100% and even a -100 to +100%"… MSFS is kind of funky there. I had three throttles properly working on “throttle Axis” but the fourth was switched for some weird reason. Changed to the 0-100% versions and then it was OK. Then when I ran into the same problem with the spoiler axis, I found out that in some cases when you change to another axis because the default one doesn’t work and that one does work, after a reboot they both work…

But I’m curious if you get that + or - sign after the axis assignment.

Example: Joystick L axis Z- instead of the proper Joystick L axis Z.

The + or - is simply an indicator of which direction was detected during the assignment. The assignment itself shouldn’t have either indicator. But you want to make sure that you’re actually assigning the movement to the axis, and not a control that is intended for a button. If you have it correctly assigned, there will be an axis indicator and a Reverse Axis checkbox. In the case of my original X52, throttle forward brings the indicator left, which seems backward, but it works correctly in flight this way.

Thanks for the replies. It must be the steam version as it was purchased and downloaded Via my account .Sorry i didnt relalise they would be different versions , could it be significant ?
Before i downloaded the drivers it was on the default ones whitch i assume must be the windows versions ,think they dated back to something like 2009?
I tried assigning the control both manualy and by scanning and nugging the joy stick it never offered one of the -or + options but i did trythem all manually it shows as Tclaytons image compleate with the indicator bar under the assigement label. The reverce button works as expected but the indicator just travels from one end to the othere as the joystick is moved , theres no control over it .
Its like MSFS isent reading the signal correctly from the X52 given the othere programmes do but theres no deeper configuaration options to try and figure whats not happerning or map the controller correctly .

Only significant as to where the files are located.

This is the procedure to remove the steam settings, but bear in mind, this procedure will remove ALL them.
The example is not your issue obviously, but the procedure is the same.

Have you checked your sensitivity setting for that axis? I’d show you a pic of mine, but my update is running (and running, and running). It should be linear from one corner to the other.

Mine stopped working as well.

Download DiView • Heusinkveld esto funciona

Has anyone been able to fix this? Mine was working fine but now I can’t get it going at all.

Does the throttle show up in Controls Options?
If so, when you select the command, and then move the axis, is that movement being displayed?

It does, after using ‘search by input’ it comes up as the throttle axis which it was previously assigned as. However, no movement is displayed on the axis visual and it only seemed to activate as a button press at certain points of the throttle’s travel, around 33% and 66%.

After posting last night, I was able to get it working after trying a fair few, clear throttle input, then validate, leaving the throttle assignment empty. Then re-assigning via select an input and selecting the axis without a + or - next to it. It reverted to only registering as a button input a couple of times during the session but I was able to re-do it through completing the process above again. Seems to be very hit / miss, surely some bug within MS FS and how the controller is interpreted? It consistently works as it should within the driver settings seen in Microsoft control panel and other simulators.

What throttle command in the sim are you using?

Another thing you might try is the Diview calibration tool linked above.
This is one of the few calibration tools that will calibrate Logitech/Saitek devices properly for use in the sim.
I have seen a calibration with Diview cure very similar issues in Saitek throttle sets.