Xbox Beta

My thoughts exactly. I just don’t see the average Xbox user sticking with a title like this for the long term. It is difficult for me to get people interested in RL aviation let alone a simulated version. Starting to look to me that aviation nerds are born and not made.

I have a 22 year old nephew that is moving to ST Augustine FL. Home of Patty Wagstaff a premier flying school and parents able to finance training. I told him about it and got a shoulder shrug…zero interest. He does have an xbox though but from what I have seen its just one long series of explosions and gun play.

1 Like

Let us not hope everyone gets interested, otherwise the skies are too filled up :grinning:

Lets hope they do… the more interest, the more opportunities for all.

1 Like

Not like it matter. It’s not like we can interact in any way with other players anyway.

But more people buying MSFS is a good thing overall. Although I think most of the XBOX buyers will move on to other games rather quickly due to the lack of anything in MSFS that needs a liberal application of pew-pew.

What are those missing functions? We are getting replay feature that is a major one but what are those other things? I don’t remember vanilla FSX was very in-depth.

I think MSFS brings way more realism to flight simming, the world actually looks like the real world for the first time. You can say what you want about eyecandy but it’s the most important thing for immersion that 3rd parties cannot fix. The in-depth airplanes and addons will come anyway.

And Xbox will bring more people to the sim, it may not be in-depth on the Xbox and some things will not work as good like on the PC, but people will get interested and some of them will dive deeper into the hobby eventually. Flight simming will grow and this will introduce a new generation to the hobby. It can only be a good thing in my opinion.

Yes we can, in Multiplayer with the Xbox Social app on the Xbox Game Bar.

And some things will work better on Xbox, such as the in-game pause and resume, which is instant on Xbox. Just quit out of MSFS and switch off or play your race sim or whatever instead. Launch MSFS again and the sim restarts EXACTLY where you quit out.
Many of the menu options and features will make a lot more sense on Xbox than they do on PC, and I don’t believe for a second that the PC version is being “dumbed down” for Xbox.
When MSFS is launched on Xbox, as announced in the Development Roadmap and not before, the Xbox gamers will instantly compare every aspect of it to other Xbox titles. Expect a HUGE demand for changes, good or bad we’ll just have to wait and see.

1 Like

Just hope that they wont listen to the casuals for flight aspects of the game

Using an external tool to chat with other players isn’t in-sim interaction. I can chat with someone on Discord while flying around. That doesn’t mean the sim allows interaction. It doesn’t.

Once you can have collisions or ATC recognizes other players’ planes and controls them in your instance, then I’ll agree it’s interactive. As it is now, other players are there for set dressing and nothing else.

You want the sim itself to be interactive in multiplayer mode? Can you name any sim that already is?
The Xbox Game Bar is a Windows 10 app just the same as MSFS, so I’m not sure it can be defined as an external tool.

It’s still an external tool even if its’ included with Windows 10. And it’s not required at all. You don’t even have to have it enabled. Mine isn’t. Many people don’t enable theirs at all.

And I agree, no other sim has that type of functionality either. However, no other sim is being marketed as a quasi-MMO either. Everything about MSFS is being run as an MMO, except the MM part. Yeah, you can see other planes, but that’s the extent of it.

And that’s all I meant with my earlier comment. It really doesn’t matter if there are 5 other live players or 50 online. Their presence in your game instance is irrelevant. Their traffic is visual only. You’ll never have ATC tell you to hold short at a runway due to another live player being on short final. You’ll never have to wait in line on a taxiway due to other players, etc. The presence of other players is a meaningless visual element only.

I wouldn’t expect the in-game ATC to be able to control a multiplayer session in any way, I don’t think it’s even possible to be honest! Surely an ATC presence in a multiplayer session would have to be one of the players themselves?
The Xbox Game Bar is fully integrated into the Xbox console and Windows 10 already, which is probably why Asobo have elected to use existing infrastructure rather than re-invent the wheel with a bespoke in-sim system.

Yeah, I get it. It’s easy to chat to friends using the game bar. And it’s cross platform. It’s something, even though it’s basic.

IVAO and VATSIM are basically multiplayer sessions with full ATC control, but they definitely require external tools.

Yeah, very much so. If you want any level of reality with multiplayer in MSFS, you need external tools just like every other sim. Unfortunately, XBOX players won’t be able to use those.

Hehe! IVAO and VATSIM are pretty sharp when it comes to inclusivity. As soon as the Xbox version is launched, they’ll be onto every way possible to connect I’m sure - it’ll probably be the biggest target audience they’ve ever had, along with every other third party flight sim developer/service provider.

To use the various live ATC network requires 2 things that you can’t do on XBOX:

• install an external client on the machine running MSFS
  • use of SimConnect (which as of now, is not planned for XBOX)

Agreed, that’s the way it is right now - but Xbox does run Microsoft Edge, so maybe a browser-based link would work , for example.

2 Likes

They probably left the ATC interaction out because it would be very sensitive to griefing. A lot of players stand on the runway and you would never be able to land. They never marketed it as an MMO, it’s just the same multiplayer functionality as in other sims without the need to set it up.

Yes, waiting, ready for clerance. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.