Xbox controller pc

Hi all, I’ve just moved from series x to pc and having terrible trouble having my wireless series x controller connect to the sim. It’s paired in windows and in the xbox app it recognises the butting commands and stuck movements.
In the sim it shows as connected but nothing works when I use the controller most times. It’s always saying connected then not connected. When it does work and powers off and I push the middle button it can then very often not connect again.
Is this normal and I need to use it wired?
Thanks!

I use mine wired. When I tried it wireless I had problems too.

And I make sure it’s turned 0n before starting the sim.

1 Like

Ok glad to know it’s not just me, thanks.
I’ll give it a go making sure it’s on when I start the sim and if not will just buy a cable and have it wired. Pity though as on the series x it’s perfect.

Don’t expect any vibration on PC.

I don’t know if there is more vibration on console version but you do get vibration in the Xbox One controller.

Has not vibrated on PC since SU5.

1 Like

Are you saying that it is working for you on PC?

Ah I didn’t know of that issue. I turned the vibration off in sim cos only use controller for drone camera and when using the sdk.

I have just blagged an XBox controller from my grandson (I did tell him before I nicked it) for the sole purpose of controlling the drone camera, which I have never used previously. I have similar problems connecting wirelessly with it randomly disconnecting etc and I am, right now, off to get a cable for a wired connection. I did have difficulty locating a cable that was a data cable and not just for charging. The puzzling thing that I have, when I use the drone camera, I lose control of the aircraft functions through my other controllers i.e HOTAS throttle, stick and pedals. Am I missing a trick somewhere or is that the way it is? I have not, yet, deleted any of the default binds from the XBox profile although I plan to do that once I have conquered this we gadget.

That’s what you need to do - delete any controls assigned to the XBox controller except camera functions.

I’ve had the wireless XBOX Series X wireless controller work on PC well since it came out (Nov 2020?) and it was also recognized as such ingame - until SimUpdate 5.
After SU5, I could only get it recognized in MSFS properly by unplugging/replugging the my bluetooth dongle after launching the game, or by using it wired… very annoying.
Now since a few weeks they seem to have patched this. I still switch on the controller only after launching MSFS, then it is recognized as new device with correct settings (by hitting “keep default” in the popup). But no need to unplug the dongle anymore.

Thanks for the steer Lefty, I’ll crack on and do that. Still don’t have a cable though, got to the store and, despite their site saying differently all of the cables that they had were charging cables and not data.

Just bought a brand new wireless xbox controller with USB wireless dongle for use on PC. Should have known they no longer work for anyone when there was an open box one sitting on the shelf. Returning it today.

And yes, just applied all updates to OS, the wireless receiver is seen, but refuses to pair. Apparently the only way you can get it to work any more is with a wired connection - these should be recalled.

Also, the suggestion to download XBox Accessories for Windows doesn’t work either. It’s just impossible to pair them any more.

So, bought it Thursday, the box clearly says it’s a wireless xbox controller for windows, but it won’t pair no matter what. Retailer giving the run-around. Guess it’s time for small claims court, because the product is (s) defective - it won’t pair with the wireless dongle despite both being recognized by the OS, and (b) iit says it’s wireless for a Windows PC, and it’s obviously misleading packaging.

Microsoft should have recalled these from distributors and retailers months ago.

1 Like

Has nobody got the xbox controller working properly on PC?

Mine has been driving me nuts since I switched to PC a few months ago. It was faultless on xbox, always connected rapidly first time and always worked consistently and reliably.

I started off with using Bluetooth on PC. This is a terrible experience. Most of the time after boot it does not connect, just flashes at me. Most of the time turning off the Bluetooth on windows and turning back on lets it connect. No matter if the sim is started or not. Sometimes even that doesn’t work and I have to forget and re-pair it.

Of course like on xbox it turns off due to inactivity far too quickly and this can’t be changed, but unlike with xbox it is slow to reconnect (takes several seconds), and although after it’s been connected once in a session it mostly reconnects OK, sometimes it doesn’t and then I’m back to resetting the Bluetooth etc.

I thought maybe it was just broken for Bluetooth, after all the xbox uses a proprietary protocol instead, so I bought the Xbox controller for Windows wireless adaptor expecting it to work just like on xbox. I was careful to get a genuine one and not a fake adaptor that was really Bluetooth in disguise or similar.

Well I was happy for a day. Plugged in, paired easily, worked great. After the controller powered off it reconnected very quickly and consistently just like on xbox.

Then the next day after power off on the computer it would not reconnect at all. I found it necessary to unplug and replug the adaptor to make it work, but then at least it worked well. This need to physically unplug it was a pain but manageable.

But then I had a case where after it turned off during play it reconnected normally but the sim just wouldn’t talk to it. Still worked fine in windows (eg. game bar) but I couldn’t use it at all in the sim. Nothing but a sim restart could resolve this, even unplugging didn’t help. Then this happened a couple more times over the first few weeks.

This is all so frustrating. Everything involved is Microsoft, the adaptor is specially designed for the xbox controller and windows, but it just doesn’t work properly. I’ve been searching around looking for solutions and instead I find this thread.

I thought it was quite common for people to use an xbox controller on PC, many people use it just for controlling the cameras, as do I. Still hoping there’s an answer out there somewhere.

I’m using the XBOX wireless controller (the one that came out autumn 2020) on windows 11 64bit, connected via the cheap “TP-link UB400 nano” bluetooth dongle, and it works fine.
If I remember correctly, I had some disconnect issues at the beginning, but that went away over time.

Have you updated the controller on the PC to the latest firmware? XBOX Accessory software to be installed for that. Think that made it better for me.

1 Like

Yes, controller was updated to latest firmware about 3 months ago so unless there’s something more recent. I can check it again. I’m using the built in Bluetooth on motherboard at the moment, but it’s working fine for the headset when I use it.