Xbox CTD after pressing start / syncing profile

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

n/a - Xbox Series X

Have you disabled/removed all your mods and addons? If the issue still occurs with no mods and add-ons, please continue to report your issue. If not, please move this post to the Community Support section.

n/a

Brief description of the issue:

Using my profile, MSFS loads perfectly on both a PC and Xbox Cloud Gaming. However, on my Xbox Series X it crashes within seconds of me pressing a button to start after the prompt to do so. I believe it is crashing while trying to sync my profile as I occasionally see this text flash up before it crashes (Xbox crash / CTD = MSFS stops loading, the screen goes blank for a second, and finally Iā€™m returned to the Xbox homescreen). Hence I believe there is something ā€˜wrongā€™ with my profile saved in the Cloud which only causes problems with the Xbox.

I do no suspect the MSFS installation on the Xbox since my son also has an account on the same Xbox and his MSFS profile loads absolutely fine.

I have tried deleting my MSFS profile saved on the Xbox. This initiates a profile sync with the Cloud after ā€˜pressing startā€™. Once at 100% MSFS then crashes again.

Since I have my profile saved on a PC as well (which loads okay), I am pondering deleting the Cloud-based copy of my profile via the option on my Xbox, then starting my PC-copy of MSFS to reload my profile in the Cloud. But before I do so I would really appreciate any help or advice. Thank you!

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

n/a

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

Start MSFS on Xbox, press a button at the ā€œPress Any Button to Startā€ prompt.

Many issues may be due to an outdated graphics card. Please state your Graphics Card Driver Manufacturer (NVIDIA, Intel, AMD) and Version (Learn how to find your current graphics card driver version):

n/a - Xbox Series X

PC specs and peripheral set up:

n/a - Xbox Series X

If on PC, Fault Bucket ID - Instructions here - Please type in just the Fault Bucket ID # rather than a screenshot for privacy reasons:

n/a - Xbox Series X

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

Sim Update 13

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OPā€™s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

If on PC, Fault Bucket ID - Instructions here - Please type in just the Fault Bucket ID # rather than a screenshot for privacy reasons:

@DaddyCoolJez

Dev Team kindly requests you open a Zendesk Ticket so they can look at this issue. Please use the Support link at the top of the forum to connect to Zendesk and begin the filing.

When complete, please post back here with Ticket Number. Thanks.

1 Like

Im having the exact same issue. I press any key to start and boom crash straight back to home screen. Its not us but the software i believe, based off the fact my series s console was purchased yesterday. 10/19/23. Also ive noticed the two splash logos (asobo,blackhawk) have no audio as well maybe this is part of the same crash bug.

2 Likes

I put in a ticket

Hey Iā€™m having the same issue as well on series X. Was working fine a few days ago. My game loads up and then crashes to the Xbox Home screen right as I hit any button to start. Iā€™ve cleared my reserved space and fully deleted my game and reinstalled but nothing has worked. Hopefully there is a solution.

I tried lots of solutions, but still couldnā€™t fix it. Bizarrely throughout all this I could always load my profile on Xbox Cloud Gaming, sometimes on PC, but never on the Xbox.

In the end I gave up and reset my profile by deleting on the Xbox and selecting the option to delete it everywhere. As expected I lost all my progress (landing challenges and training etc), my pilotā€™s logbook, and all my custom control profiles. Iā€™m mostly gutted about the latter as I like my custom profiles and have to set them up all over again. Not so fussed about the training - Iā€™m completed all of. A bit annoyed about the Bush Trips as Iā€™d challenged myself to do all of them; I still can but not sure I can be bothered to repeat the ones Iā€™ve already completed to get 100% on screen.

@xXSlappy31682Xx and @gamefreak0312 - good luck, but I suspect you might need to reset like I did.

I was in the same boat as you. Tried everything that lots of people have recommended but none of them worked. Eventually just had to give up and deleted my cloud save and it fixed my problem. All of my stuff has been deleted. My yoke setting and everything included. Suck thatā€™s this issue seems to not be common from what I see and is just an unfortunate rare bug relating to cloud saves corrupting themselves. Thanks for your input :smiling_face:

Up ! Same probleme here since few days. My profile works on Cloud Gaming on PC but not on Xbox Series X. Crashes at loading

Sorry to hear others are also having this problem. I too have raised a Zendesk Ticket.

In the meantime I got fed up not being able to fly so reset my profile. Turns out the profile saved on my PC donā€™t then kick in, so Iā€™m back to a fresh / never-played profile with zero hours, no training or bush trips completed, and Iā€™ve lost all my custom control profiles.

Not great, but at least I can fly again! Jez

Was there any other solution to this other than deleting profile? I have the same problem on Xbox crashing to Home Screen after pressing any key to start and even reinstalled but no change. This started to happen after I had been playing on my iPad via cloud gaming and Iā€™ve logged out from my iPad but this did not help.
Any tips would be gratefully appreciated as I canā€™t fly at all at the moment.

Hi @JohnBrace - sadly Iā€™ve never seen a solution to this other than delete your online profile and start again from scratch - zero hours, and resetting all bush trips, challenges, settings and control options.

MSā€™s reply to my Zendesk Tick had a few things to try first, but none of them worked. Their ultimate solution was to also to delete your profile and start again. Sorry.

1 Like

Hi there, thanks a lot and thatā€™s a great pity but Iā€™ll go ahead and do this then, cheers!

I canā€™t believe it - my new profile seems to be corrupted now after just 2 weeks and minimal time of MSFS.

I have added this to my existing ticket - Request #201150 - and hope Support can help.

As it stands I can no longer fly MSFS on an Xbox.

How do I delete profiles as Iā€™m facing the same issue pls reply. Thanks

This is the reply I got from Support:

First, try removing then re-installing your Xbox Profile to clear up outdated information.

REMOVE YOUR XBOX PROFILE

1. Scroll left on the Home screen to open the guide
  2. Select Settings
  3. Select All Settings
  4. Under ā€œAccount,ā€ select Remove accounts
  5. Select your account
  6. Select Remove to confirm then Close

RE-DOWNLOAD YOUR XBOX PROFILE

1. Scroll left from Home to open the guide
  2. Scroll down and select Add & manage
  3. Select Add new
  • Note: You wonā€™t be creating a new account when you select this option. Youā€™re just adding your existing profile to the Xbox One console
  1. Type the email address used to sign in to your Microsoft account/used to purchase Microsoft Flight Simulator
  2. Enter your password.
  3. Review the privacy statement summary, and then select Next
  4. Select your Sign-in and security preferences
  5. Check out how you look on Xbox, and then select Next
  6. Choose your color, and then select Next
  • Note: The preference that youā€™re currently using at home appears with a checked box
  1. Press the Xbox button on your controller to return to the Home screen
  2. Scroll left from Home, find and select your gamertag, and then select Sign in

If the problem persists, try using a different profile (while still signed in with the profile that purchased MSFS)
XBOX SERIES X|S

1. Press the Xbox button to open the guide.
  2. Select Profile & system, and then select Add or switch.
  3. Select a profile other than the one you were previously using.
  4. Now restart the game to see if it works correctly under a different profile.

If you can fly without issue with the new profile, then there may be a corruption in your old profile causing problems. If this is the case, you would need to delete the cloud save file:

Please be warned that deleting the Cloud Save will wipe your logbook permanently and reset some of your settings such as keybindings and peripherals profiles. You will not lose the achievements already unlocked on this profile but progression towards achievements and the logbook information cannot be recovered.

1 Like

Is there no way to sign in to Xbox cloud gaming on say an IPad and force it to save your profile to the cloud to repair whatever damage was done?

@JohnBrace Iā€™m afraid Iā€™ve tried this and it doesnā€™t seem to work. Iā€™ve had the situation where MSFS works on Xbox Cloud Gaming and on a PC, but not on my Xbox. All with the same profile!

1 Like

Having bounced various emails back and forth with the MSFS Support Team I have now given up and accepted that the only solution is to reset your MSFS profile and start again from scratch. I fear part of the problem is that the various Support Team members that have replied havenā€™t really understood the problem, sometimes confusing my MSFS profile with my Xbox profile. They also seem totally unable to investigate whatā€™s happening on an Xbox.

For what itā€™s worth, hereā€™s my final reply to the Support Team after they failed to solve the issue and said they canā€™t do anymore.

I am very disappointed. Clearly only a minority of Xbox users get this problem where MSFS crashes upon syncing their profiles. I can only assume the profiles are corrupt. The fact that this causes MSFS to crash would indicate thereā€™s a lack of error handling here. As someone who has worked in IT for the past 30 years I find this hard to accept.

I find it even harder to accept that no one on the MSFS support team is able to investigate this problem and determine what is causing this crash. Itā€™s akin to selling a car, the car stopping working, and the garage saying they canā€™t open the bonnet (hood if youā€™re American) to find out why.

I love MSFS and this wonā€™t stop me playing it. However, it has tainted my enjoyment and I will no longer strive to complete any of the achievements knowing that at any point I might have to delete my MSFS profile and reset it to a brand new, zero flying hours, pilot.

Jez

Yes I never even got a response to my message so I had to bite the bullet and deleted my cloud saves and reinstalled the sim and now back to how it was day 1. Not ideal at all but at least Iā€™m back flying and getting lots of CTDā€™s :smile:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OPā€™s steps to reproduce it?

I am having the exact problem for 3 weeks now

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

how do you put in a ticket?