Yes, you can go back from VR: Resolution not worth it?

After chasing settings for several weeks, I’ve concluded the resolution in the Reverb G2 is insufficient for me to enjoy the sim. Yes, the cockpit environment is nice, but I cannot get ground detail to anything approaching my 3440x1440 ultrawide clarity, which is more important to me than the immersion factor. Given the “sweet spot”, blown out exposure and desaturated color, for me, VR with the G2 is just not ready for prime time. Too many compromises to live with.

Any thoughts appreciated.

7 Likes

Not worth it? - Depends what you want out of it. I value the immersion and situational awareness that VR gives over the detail clarity. I can’t go back. You value the detail over the 3D immersion - going back is the right choice and I’d do the same.

VR is still relatively new and the technology has a ways to go for sure. Like everything computer related, the next generation of headsets driven by the next generation of graphics cards will likely be a massive improvement. But we don’t have them yet…

And @CaptainNuts2000 - you talking natural gas prices or gasoline? Doesn’t really matter, they’re both outrageous!

8 Likes

still driving an old GTX 1080 and contemplating scalper prices for an RTX card - But as my ultimate goal is to have a proper flawless VR experience, I guess I’ll have to wait…

1 Like

Yet at least in these dark, uncertain times with many in lockdowns, we can still go on an extravagant expensive journey…to fill up our cars.

This isn’t an airport, you don’t have to announce your VR departure!

Have fun in whatever you choose to do, meanwhile many of us will continue to enjoy the G2 experience.

13 Likes

It’s borderline at times I agree, but as a pilot of both full scale and rc planes (using model mounted video cameras and FPV goggles for the last ten years) I can say that for me at least, VR is as essential in a flight sim as FPV is for flying drones, model power planes and gliders.

I can no longer fly GA aircraft, rotor-wing or gliders in real life. But FPV models and VR in sims is as close as I can get, and I love it. Yes there are time when the resolution is borderline, but heck it was absolutely terrible in the early days of drones and FPV models and I still loved it…flying models by line of sight is “meh” by comparison for me.

The other day I set out for a cruise over the Lake Geneva coastline in the Junkers and switched from preset scattered clouds to live weather and found myself in a life or death world of rain squalls, high winds and thunderheads with whiteouts, rain and patches of clear air where I could just make out the shoreline. The desperate flight back to Geneva airport was so real and uncertain that I was really there in a 1930’s plane, sometimes leaning out into the slipstream to try and see where the heck I was, with only a small chance of finding the beacon on the control tower to guide me in; no radio beacon or VOR to follow. I just made it and it was the best flight I’ve ever had in a sim.

That’s VR.

6 Likes

yes G2 vr is currently lagging behind a high def wide monitor…but the varjo aero might be good enough for you? but its 2400 euros. for me with a pimax 8kx i dont sacrifice fov and the display is 4k, but it still lacks in detail compared to my 4k monitor as i cant run with full res or high/ultra settings. yes the over exposure in vr is frustrating. i hope you have many good flying hours ahead of you with your monitor…and you may come back to vr when things like the varjo aero are cheaper (and even better).

Sky I’m also running a 1080TI and it works just fine in VR,
not using the G2 on the oculus rift S but running the sim with most settings max, clouds med I’m getting super smooth gameplay… im not using the tray tools i find this hinders the game… can see every gauge just fine with rendered at 100%

4 Likes

I do understand this, I can run Ultra everything on an ultrawide 1440p screen and it looks fantastic, smooth and no issues. VR looks good but still presents some problems with smooth playback and there is always a bit of a reliability problem. If VR would just work, like 2D does, then it would be so much better to use, day to day, but VR is still not 100% yet.

I’ve been struggling with clarity and stuttering issues with reverb g2. I’ve heard people saying it is better after SU6 but it doesn’t seem that way for me and I have a high end system with a 3090.
Still going back to using 2d is not appealing for me because only after getting into VR have I been able to fly and land inside the plane. I tried multiple head tracking things like trackir and even tobii but they were all very awkward for me at best and without that it is not natural inside the plane having to use my mouse or controllers to look around. With VR I just look where I want to look. Myself I could see using 2d for sight seeing and flying outside the plane but I really need VR to have a good experience inside the plane.
I’ve had some amazing experiences with the g2 on good days when it works better. I’ve pre-ordered the varjo aero and hope it really lives up to what people are saying.

I have a G2. I haven’t used it for months.

It’s the pitifully small sweet spot that did it for me, or rather didn’t do it. 50% of my concentration was spent trying to stay within it.

I’m not bothering with VR again until there’s another generation of head set and GPU, and likely not until the generation after that.

1 Like

Same here …

Fyi Lots of thoughts on same topic were posted here

I think some blurriness in VR is actually more realistic than overly sharpened images to the horizon in 2D!

3 Likes

I’ve got an RTX3080 and a 5600X with a Quest 2 and I’ve long since given up on VR. The sim just looks so gorgeous now in 4K with everything on ultra and 300% LOD. Highly immersive though VR is you also have to dial back settings to an old CRT TV level of detail to get anywhere approaching decent stutter free performance.

No doubt the future is VR but we’re a few years from that yet. RTX5080 GPU’s and Varjo quality headsets at consumer prices. I’ll wait it out and enjoy it on a monitor until then.

2 Likes

Who said I was leaving VR? It has its uses but enjoying detail in the landscape is not one of them.

1 Like

Never ever. With both oxr and rr set to 100 its absolutely awesome. Cockpit is sharp and I can count leaves from 3000 feet.

Ok, you need a 3080ti or 3090, thats insane, I know. Colours are better since Su6, lights are less blurred, clarity is way better than ugly SU5.

I have UW 3440x1440 too but going back to a flat world with all their distortion, the unnatural need of panning, no, no way.

I hope you will be back in a year or so with 4090 and Varjo Aero level headsets as standard.

Again, I’m not leaving VR – but to me it’s only useful for cockpit experience at altitude. I enjoy being “in the cockpit” but looking at the ground is mediocre at best. I’d really love to know what OXR and sim settings allow you to count leaves.

Flying around Tokyo at 1,500 feet is monochromatic and almost detailed enough…but not quite. The same experience 3440 x 1440 is world’s better for me, with realistic color saturation and honest detail. Guess that’s why there’s chocolate and vanilla…

It was good post su5!! Even recently I only started flying again because of vr but its becoming too blurry and its only happened recently. Will have a break until they fix vr.

1 Like

For me now it is VR or nothing. I spend many hours in VR each and every week and absolutely love it even with it’s current limitations. I am more about immersion than anything.

3 Likes