Yesterday I got 58fps, today only 35fps. What's here going on?

My System:
I7-6700k @4.4Ghz on MSI Z170A, 2080ti, 2560x1440 on 32", 32GB RAM, FS2020 on SSD.

Yesterday I spent many hours in optimizing the grafic of the Sim to see if and how I can get more FPS.
After every change I fly two rounds around the airport EDDK in 1500 feet. No clouds, no wind. Time 12:00 at 2th August 2020.

After many changes I set the grafics back to Ultra-Settings and got 58fps in average.
But what I get with 4.5Ghz? So I OC my CPU to 4.5Ghz and got 61fps.
CPU-Temp (62°C) and FANs are ok, so I think thats ok now for my settings.

I double check all, go back to 4.4Ghz, after restart run only MSI-Afterburner, then FS2020, go again back to 4,5 GHz…make this 3-4 times. 4.4Ghz = 58fps, 4.5Ghz = 61 fps. Very good.

After all I fly a hour around…all good. At the end I fly a round in VR…then is bed time.

Today I start FS2020 and got only 35-40fps. I check my settings, my PC and all the other stuff. Whats wrong? I don’t no!

I can do whatever I want. 4Ghz, 4.4Ghz, 4.5Ghz…Grafic to low, high, ultra, 2560x1440, 1920x1200…only 35-40fps, but it looks smooth like yesterday.
I check MSI-Afterburner with other Games, there is all ok.
I set BIOS back, clear NVIDIA driver and install it new, reset all FS2020 grafics-settings.
Only 35-40fps!

What is that?

Did your nvidia drivers auto update? Newer ones are flaky.

I’d KILL to get those FPS.I get average of 15 to 25 depending where I am and conditions.Have Noctua NH-U12A CPU Cooler
Deepcool Matrexx 55 V3 ADD-RGB 3F Black E-ATX Case
Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD
Gigabyte Z490 AORUS ULTRA Motherboard
Intel Core i7 10700K
Gigabyte AORUS AP750GM 750W 80 PLUS Gold Power Supply
Lexar NM610 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD
DeepCool CF120 120mm Addressable RGB PWM Fan, 3 Pack, A-RGB Controller
Gigabyte AORUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti MASTER 8GB Video Card

How is the weather? Is this also the same? Clouds and visibility are frame killers…

try it tomorrow again… if fixed then it was network- or rolling-cache reletad thing… and after this… close the FPS counter and enjoy the game :wink:

And a hint:

this might be… we have two threads in forum where useres reported an issue after trying VR.

@BufordTX
No, I deactivate this in all of my installed Software. My system is clear, no Autostart entrys and so on.

@MarcusCoull
Take a Round at EDDK without clouds at 1500feet. There I have the scenery from Aerosoft, normal this cost some frames. With your System you must have more fps than I.

@TiedElephant205
See my initial post. All tests are under same conditions. No clouds, no wind, same time.

@MichaMMA
I will check this post because the VR issues. Thank you. Maybe I find an answer there.

See this picture from friday. I took this after two rounds at EDDK. Average framerate was at 4.5Ghz 61fps. Ingame I only sets the grafics on Ultra. No other changes make.

This pictures are with clouds also from friday (4.4Ghz and 4.5Ghz). I took this with my smartphone bevor I insert the meassures for average-FPS. Since Yesterday I got at this place only 35fps if I look from the same place.

A waste of time. Just go fly and stop obsessing over FPS. It’s insane.

5 Likes

This is the Official EDDK Mod, or ?

I tried EDDK ( I haven’t the mod) and of course my resolution ( 3840x1600 ) and is near “normal” at ground:

( 8700k, 2080Ti )

EDIT
PS: quick screenshot is “Windows Key + Print Key”

We can struggle as much as we want with MSFS, NVidia and windows 10 settings,
the problem lies within the ■■■■■■ graphics engine of MSFS.

3 Likes

@anon17491698
No, I want to know why I had ~15fps more the day before yesterday and also why I now only have 35fps no matter what I set. Same fps on low settings!

@MichaMMA
Yes, this is the official EDDK-Airport von Aerosoft.
This is creepy. I set the Renderscaling to 30% an get 30fps, then to 200% and get 25fps. Back to 100% gives me also 30fps.
What are the FS doing here with me?

No, it’s not “insane”. Performance is vastly important to a decent flight sim experience, especially consistent performance. This will all become even more important once resource heavy software like PMDG come to FS2020 and we’ll need every frame we can get. I have a 9700k @ 4.8ghz and an RTX 3070 and for whatever reason FS2020 is a stutter fest on my system despite having zero issues with other titles. So yeah, FPS matters to me

2 Likes

yeah… I search also more reasons… but find only these VR hint ( but can’t understand it ).

Possible one idea… have you already deleted the cache ?

I didn’t “FPS doesn’t matter”. But it’s clear nothing has changed in flight sim. Some people are going to spend the ten years between this and MSFS 2030 obsessing over framerates rather than flying. I almost checked my FPS for the first time the other day, and I’m glad I didn’t. I will stick to my resolve never to do so. I think its one of the reasons I’m enjoying this so much.

Happy new year.

1 Like

I wouldn’t be so concerned about the FPS itself (although it still does matter to me as a statistic as it allows me to see how much “room” I have for resource-intensive addons in the future) if it weren’t for the stutters I get with MSFS. To see what I am talking about, see CptCanada’s video here, a popular flight sim streamer with a pretty powerful system. Skip to 1:14:43. The stutters in the LAX area amount to actual pauses and are downright ridiculous. This I cannot ignore, regardless of what the FPS counter is telling me. It makes the sim unusable in these situations (airliner + large city).

Seriously!!! So glad you said this. I wish every FPS post would get auto deleted simply because FPS do not matter in a flight sim. This isn’t call of duty.

1 Like

The reality is that hardware has lagged flight sim software by at least 5 years for the last two decades. No reason to expect it to be any different now.

Simply not true.
Today’s hardware is perfectly capable to run a graphics well programmed Sim software
like DCS.

1 Like

Agree 100%, people have become fixated on the 60fps otherwise something is wrong…

High action first person shooters, agree FPS is very important, but not for flight simming.

25-45fps is more than enough…

Whats the solution - HIDE THE FPS COUNTERS - you won’t realise afterwards…

2 Likes

Yes, I cleared cache.

Which was released in… 2008. I rest my case.