Your Best Short Airliner Routes (~ 1 Hr)

I think there was another similar topic but I want to ask for kind of shorter routes.
Extra points for challenging landings (short runways or difficult terrain/weather)
This are some of my favorites:

South America:

Takeoff: SBSP - Congonhas Intl. (Sao Paulo, Br)
Landing: SBRJ - Santos Dumont (Rio di Janeiro, Br)
Description: Wonderful Takeoff on an airport that is above the city, you can see it while holding short on 17R. Landing on Santos Dumont is a special one since you have to fly around the bay flying way to close over a long bridge on final 20L or 20R. Good on Day or Night.

Oceania:

Takeoff: NZCH - Christchurch Intl. (Christchurch , NZ)
Landing: NZQN - Queenstown (Queenstown , NZ)
Description: Amazing takeoff from Christchurch, normally going around the city for nice scenic views. Incredible approaches between mountains both on Queenstown’s runway 23 or 05, my personal fav is 23 approach. Beautiful on day, will def s**t your pants if it’s cloudy or overcast. not sure about flying at night.

Europe:

Takeoff: LIRN - Capodichino (Naples, IT)
Landing: LICJ - Punta Raisi (Palermo, IT)
Description: Capodiuccino by itself it’s a beautiful airport to land, but in this case we use it to takeoff to keep the time short. Beautiful approach on Palermo which is beside a huge wall of rock like gibraltar. My favorite approach is for runway 07, rnw 25 approach for me is more challenging but the vistas are better from 07. Good on day/dusk, never flown to it at night.

Takeoff: LIRF - Fiumichino (Rome, IT)
Landing: LIRN - Capodichino (Naples, IT)
Description: This is a super short flight (~40 minutes) but we do it just for the landing :grimacing: Challenging landing since the runway has a noticeable slope and can mess your landing impact, both arrivals are unique in it’s way, 06 gives you a beautiful tour coming from the sea and flying next to a couple of big islands, the approach is interesting (ILS) since it’s not straight and you have to correct at the last couple of miles (eyes on the ball). On the other side 24th arrival gets you between the mountains with a really nice view in the approach.

There are a couple more that I really like that I’ll add to it in the near future (obviously LOWI). What’s your favorite?

12 Likes

Takeoff: KSFO - San Francisco
Landing: KSNA - Orange County
Description: an interurban California flight, takes you from the picturesque Bay Area down past LA to the compact but busy John Wayne Airport in Orange County. Common approaches include a nice pass by Catalina Island off the coast, good for photo opportunities! Prevailing winds from the south usually will put you on 5,700-foot runway 20R, with a nice line-up that passes Disneyland and the two WW2-era blimp hangars at nearby former Tustin air base (now down to one hangar IRL due to a recent fire).

Recommended to use either the freeware KSNA scenery available on flightsim.to or the UK2000 Scenery version available in the Marketplace and elsewhere.

4 Likes

Definetly not going to include Paro, The first and only time when I ended up rage quitting after 3 back to back go arounds :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

You are correct, that is one hair raising airport to fly in to! :joy:

Frankfurt to London City is about an hour. Its not challenging but the 27 approach at night is just lovely.

2 Likes

Auckland or Wellington to Rotorua. Great scenery for all three airports - two by FlightBeam and a free detailed Rotorua by NZA with one of the more recent world updates - with the latter being located in a very picturesque location on the lakeside. No ILS available, instead doing a VOR/DME into either 36 or 18. Supports aircraft up to A320/B737 in size but I’d recommend taking the ATR or an equivalent.

Fukuoka to Kobe or Osaka (Kansai), Japan. Incredibly scenic trip over terrain dotted by dozens of little islands, arriving at either airport in the region - both of which are built well offshore on artificial islands surrounded by water. Great payware for Fukuoka, great freeware for Kobe is available, and payware (maybe freeware too) for Kansai. (Take a look in the .to file library for all of Japan as there are dozens of payware quality airports available for free in the country)

2 Likes

NZQN is definitely one of my favorites. However, don’t listen to default ATC as they will try to have you descend into the mountains!

I recently recreated a flight from a popular youtuber doing a tutorial flight in the SWS PC12 from LFTZ to LFKC. Beautiful scenery on approach during the day. Definitely a repeat for me.

I like the idea of sharing these short flights as I mostly am into GA.

1 Like

My go to is a very typical Southwest route from Denver to Colorado Springs and vice versa. Quick 15-20 minute flight depending on wind.

3 Likes

Takeoff: CYVR - Vancouver
Landing: CYYJ - Victoria
Description: A quick hop (aprox 20 min) from BC’s largest city to BC’s capital city. Departing vancouver with the mountains to north, head almost directly south over the Salish Sea, fly over Active Pass where the ferries transit, and hope for a runway 09 arrival so you can see Mount Baker off in the distance. :). One of favorate hops for both airliner and GA.

2 Likes

Anchorage to Kodiaq Island

2 Likes

My go-to is KJFK-KBOS.

1 Like

:thinking: that’s true, short runway in the middle of the city, didn’t though about it, I’ll try this today thanks!!

Phoenix (PHX) → Las Vegas (LAS) get a terrific view of the grand canyon, lake meade, and the hoover dam on approach

3 Likes

More of a flight for a turboprop like the Beech 1900s that Pacific Coastal Airlines operates on the run, but the trip from Vancouver (CYVR) to Anahim Lake (CAJ4) to Bella Coola (CYBD) and then back to Vancouver is worth doing. The mountain scenery up and down the coast is great and the short leg from CAJ4 to CYBD is challenging because you have to weave through the valley from the high Chilcotin plateau down to CYBD, that’s located in a narrow valley at sea level. Runways at CAJ4 and CYBD are paved and on the order of 4500 feet long.

2 Likes

Hahah so true, but I’ve flown IRL YVR-YYJ in a CRJ (Air Canada had to replace the regular Dash-8 for some reason)

LEIB - Ibiza
LXGB - Gibraltar
Air Time ~1:15h
Nice flight along the Spanish Mediterranean coast from Costa Blanca to Costa del Sol, ending with the amazing approach around The Rock, landing on Gibraltar‘s RWY 09.
On approach you can also see the Spanish exclave Ceuta on the African coastline.

For a shorter flight start in LEAL - Alicante, this will save you 20min air time.

Look for a good routing along the costline, e.g. ALT UN851 MLG (RESTU UN851 MLG when departing from LEAL).

2 Likes

Anything in the Azores. Nine islands with airports.

3 Likes

Most welcome ! Like I said, its not necessarily hard but when the conditions are right (weather, clouds, day/night) its just fun. Use a Citation, put her on an ILS 27 auto approach, play “London Calling” when on final and just enjoy the ride !

1 Like

I like to follow actual flightplanes from regional Airlines. I get the information from flightradar24

This are short hops from 60nm Up to 300nm . You can do Most of all with the BAE146 ATR42/72 or 737-600 or crj

Loganair
EGPF-EGPL-EGPO-EGPH-EGPB-
EGPD-EGPA-EGPN-EGLL

Air Corsica
LFML-LFKF-LFMN-LFKB-LFLL-LFKJ-LFML

Canadian North
1.CYFB-CYXP-CYVM-CYFB-CYIO-CYAB-CYFB
2.CYZF-CYCB-CYYH-CYBB-CYHK-CYBB-CYCB

Pakistan
OPKC-OPSK-OPIS-OPGT-OPIS-OPSK-OPKC

VoePass
SBRP-SBSP-SBDN-SBSP-SBJV-SBPA-SBSM-SBPA

Santena
SKBO-SKPI-SKBO-SKMD-SKUI-SKNQ-SKMD-SKBO-SKFL-SKLC

Braathens
ESTA-ESSB-ESSG-ESSV-ESMX-ESMO-ESMX-ESSB

Japan Air Commuter
RJFK-RJKN-RJKA-RJKN-RJKB-ROAH-RJKB-RJKN-RJKA-RJFK

3 Likes

wow really nice indeed (Fukuoka to Kobe) I added it now to my favorites, thanks for sharing!