Your Current TOP 10 Aircraft

I think the first couple of weeks will be nice to see the weekly (rapid) development. Once its a bit established (on the localizer) I think once a month will be perfect. So option three for me :slight_smile:

3 Likes
  1. bae 146
  2. milviz 310
  3. c414
  4. fbw a320
  5. kodiak
  6. jf arrows
  7. a310
  8. blackbird dhc2
  9. blackbird pc6
  10. tbm 930 (WT beta)
1 Like

:rofl: :roll_eyes: ā€¦noted :wink:

The poll kind of asks the question I asked a while ago which is, should there be a voting cut off date? At the time it was met with some disdain :slight_smile: because I think folks didnā€™t fully understand what I meant.

For example January chart will be released on 1st Feb?
Then surely you will need a few days to compile?
So votes must stop on (example) last week of Jan.

Or

January chart will appear sometime in Feb when you have had chance to compile. In which case some folks will most likely have changed their votes already.

Not that any of this is an issue of course but if it were me I think I would be looking at cutting off votes at least a few days before the end of the month so that results can be posted either 1st of next month or even last day of current month.

Maybe this would be worth a poll? But at the end of the day I think everyone will abide by your decision as you are the one doing all the graft. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Quite an endorsement! I already have the Zenith CH 701 STOL from Orbx. I donā€™t fly it all that frequently but for low and slow itā€™s nice. How does the Wilga compare to the Zenith?

My January Top 10 list (no particular order since there no differential any more):

• SWS Kodiak
  • Fenix A320
  • FSW Cessna 414
  • FlightFX HJ420
  • HPG H145
  • DC Designs F-14
  • IndiaFoxtEcho F-35 Lightning II
  • iniBuilds P-40F WarHawk
  • Darkstar
  • Zenith CH 701
1 Like

The Zenith is good but the Wilga is hard to put into words but Iā€™ll try and keep it simple otherwise I could write pages and pages.

Wilga is richer, deeper, more satisfying, more organic, more alive, more ā€œhands-onā€, more interesting, aurally the best plane Iā€™ve tried (to clarify that, for sure some planes have more amazing engine sounds as they are replicating more powerful real world motors: 310, 414, BR Goose for example, but the way the whole sound environment comes together in the Wilga is so spot on. I canā€™t explain it but you almost donā€™t even notice it because it just always sounds exactly as you would imagine - whatever youā€™re doing be it a switch, different rev points, startup and shut down, nothing stands out as being out of place. Itā€™s just balanced and blended perfectly. Itā€™s epic), some wonderful skins available for it on fs.to already, and just amazingly fun to fly / sight see / STOL ā€” it rewards either smooth or more aggressive flying equally. Loads of variants, all with their own quirks. I canā€™t rate it highly enough. 15/10 stars :slight_smile:

I posted yesterday in the Willy thread (take a look, look for the cow screenshot) that in just 1 month itā€™s already taken spot 2 in my all time most flown according to our Hobbs app. Itā€™s going to be clearly in the lead next time I get on my rig (this weekend hopefully!!) :wink:

5 Likes

Sort of but not the same. I know at the time people didnā€™t want a gap (and that gap would be every month, not just between the format changes) so I suggested / agreed to do the mini-updates.

But having come to the point of nearly needing the first one, it occurred to me that it may actually be more fun/suspenseful to WAIT until it is final and show it then. So Iā€™m just putting the ā€œfeelersā€ out to see what the majority think and want.

The updates (whether they be Mini ones on Sunday and/or the final actual month chart) will be done same day on the relevant Sunday. I donā€™t need time to compile so no cut off date is necessary (as Iā€™m working on it every day, so it just needs the final votes adding from that evening/morning after I went to sleep the day before ā€” and my sorting / arrows values done / export the PDF etc. takes an hour max) so either way it will be done same day. That is not an issue.

It is simply if it would be more exciting, interesting and fun for you all to NOT KNOW the likely outcome until the final day / final Chart Of The Month TM. If we publish mini-updates each week it will sort of kill that moment (not for me, I see the state every day lolā€¦ just thinking of you all and what youā€™d prefer). So just checking before I go one way or the other.

I donā€™t mind either way.

2 Likes

Oh yes I get you. For me it is obvious then, you do yours once only, when its ready. If anyone is really that bothered then they can always do their own count. Hehe. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Here is my, after serious deliberation, current top 10 Aircraft - Jan 2023.

1. Flying Irons Spitfire
  2. Fsadnis Hurricane (Freeware)
  3. Dave Garwoods Hawker Hunter (Freeware)
  4. Bagolus Bush C172 (Freeware)
  5. Asobo C-208 with the improvement Mod
  6. Top Mach Studios F-22 (Freeware)
  7. Blackbox Bulldog
  8. Blackbox Islander
  9. IRIS Jabiru J160/J170
  10. Carenado Cessna CT182T Skylane, the first Aircraft I purchased for MSFS. :slight_smile:
2 Likes

In the short time since Iā€™ve had the Wilga Iā€™ve really fallen in love with her. I couldnā€™t describe it better than you just did so I wonā€™t even try. But what I can say is that I love her nearly as much as my Tiger Moth, and thatā€™s saying something! Essentially Iā€™m forced to choose between the two based on the type of flying I want to do that day. It is no longer as easy as simply picking the Moth each and every time. (Near enough.)

1 Like

Wow, that is high praise indeed! Iā€™m so glad you like it that much and the purchase recommendation was a success :face_exhaling: :sweat_smile: :heart:

Now, if that statement doesnā€™t push anyone still sitting on the fence off to the got-friends.com website, there is no hope.

This must be killing poor @WellREDBarron !! :cry:
Sorry man, your time will come and I REALLY look forward to reading your 5,000 word report :wink:

3 Likes

It SO was! :smile:

1 Like

Anything less than 5k means I didnā€™t like it.

4 Likes

What an impressive thread. Who knew you could even do such things in a thread? Late to this party, but here are my top 5 (donā€™t think I can give 10)

1. Daher Kodiak 100 by SWS. This should suprise no one. It has had (and has) its imprefections, but the reason I love this aircraft so much is not so much any quantifable parameter or depth of features (which are many), but rather that the intangible sense that this is an aircraft that I am actually flying. It is deceptively simple, with layers of subtle behaviour that reward you as you build your hours.

2. HPG145. A recent acquisition, but one Iā€™m deeply impressed with. It will take a long time to master - always a good sign. The mission generator is a remarkable feature and that along with Offshore missions in OnAir promises to be a whole new level of time lost.

3. CJ4. With the WT Mod this was the only truly reliable IFR jet until the Fenix and PMDG tubeliners came on board. Itā€™s a joy to handfly IFR procedures with and the sound of the engines spooling up gets me every time.

4. PMDG 737-700. Impressiveā€¦great to fly on busy nights in Vatsim across European skies. Does exactly what it should. Just a bit sterile for me. I actually prefer the CRJs (which you know even have a pretty decent EFB and documentation!) if it wasnā€™t for their weirdly tiny MFDs. Actuallyā€¦Iā€™ve argued myself around. Better make this a vote for the CRJ.

5. Blackbird PC-6. Simply for the beta range -3000fpm descents in Alaska.

4 Likes

Hi! Welcome to the party :partying_face:

I can do a lot of things in threads :wink:

Thanks for your entires and nice descriptions. It always adds a lot to the context of peoplesā€™ choices I find.

Wait, so you want CRJ instead of the 737? Why not have both? You can have up to 10. Let me know.

Nice party!

Well, make the 737 my number 6 then. I donā€™t fly a lot of different aircraft regularlyā€¦give me just a few very well moddled ones and Iā€™m happy. Looking forward to trying the Wilga and the 414. But no new planes until I can fly that H145 to my satisfaction!

Sure, will do. For your info, the order doesnā€™t actually matter as itā€™s just 1 vote == 1 point now. Last year we did points but it was making too big margins between the best planes and the mid field. Hoping this way mixes things up a bit and gives new entries a better chance to climb the ladderā€¦ we shall see.

Ohh Kay! See you in 2024 then :wink:

ā€¦you wonā€™t be disappointed with Wilga or 414!

I wish I had the ability to not buy so many planes and use the ones I have more but alas, I am not in possession of that much restraint :slight_smile: :dollar: :dollar:

P.S. feel free to come back each month (or as often as you want) to resubmit your list or make changes if you want your votes to count for future months. You would only need to say ā€œno changesā€ if you want to keep the same list (but we are a friendly bunch so stay and chat!), but only if you want to.

Your scores now will forever be in the all-time charts but I am resetting the ladder on a monthly basis also in effort to highlight great new releases or confirm the ā€œclassicsā€ are still highly regarded.

Thanks again!

3 Likes

Guess I am going to hijack this thread talking about yokesā€¦lol. Oh well, I heard you are all a friendly bunch.

Anyways to answer your question, not sure how old my PFC unit is? I got it off Craigslist some time ago but if itā€™s using a serial port connection so Iā€™m sure it pre-dates windows 7. Iā€™m somewhat of a novice when swapping out controller boards, but I assume that if I remove all the guts downstream of the potentiometers and switches and buttons and install a new usb bodnar controller, it should work okay with new drivers. And no need to worry about old serial port drivers and such?

1 Like

Primary five:

GotGravel Savage Carbon: Love the simplicity. Go-to for low and slow exploring and land-anywhere capabilities

Carenado/Asobo V35B: Favorite jump-in-and-fly GA aircraft. Appreciate the vintage look, feel, and versatility. I have a lot of fun just cruising as well as pushing its limits in landing at small strips

Flysimware 414A: Really needs no introduction. Go-to for light procedural flying and quick regional hops. Love the design, depth, and old-school feel

Asobo Cessna Longitude: Came over from XP11/Challenger 650 and have an appreciation for biz jets and what they can do. Very excited for AAU1 and the fidelity it will bring to this aircraft.

Fenix A320: Also needs no intro. I really enjoy the challenge of learning airliners and learning different arrivals/approach types into major world airports

Honorable mention:
Flying Iron Spitfire Mk. IX: Blast cruising around / exploring beautiful Great Brittian and imagining what it would have been like being a pilot in the era of this and other aircraft like it

FlightFX SF50 Vision Jet: Beautiful plane and enjoy it, but doesnā€™t get a lot of play as I find the performance a bit benign after being spoiled by the power and capability of twin business jets

Top Mach Studios F22A: Can be so fun and immersive. The feeling of taking off from a military base and being at 40,000 ft plus in <2 minutes, or cruising coastlines at 700kts is really something

GotGravel Vertigo: Crazy business but love the design and cockpit visibility of the JMB VL-3. Deleted this mod countless times wanting to stick to realistic aircraft, but always seem to come back like crack

7 Likes