Your Current TOP 10 Aircraft

[Baracus250] Don’t know how you do those replies to multiple quotes from different posts and put it all in one post? If you know what I mean?

Also, how much disk space do those 980 addons use? In GB or probably TB? I guess those are what would go in the “Community” folder using “Addon Linker” in addition to what you have in the “Official” folder already? And you are probably keeping the zip files as backups? I’m thinking a 2tb ssd is going to run out of space real fast, especially with some of the best 3rd party aircraft and other addons still in the pipeline and yet to arrive.

You can click and drag over the text you want to quote then click the Quote button that pops up. That starts your “new” reply. Then you can add text above/below (whatever you want) then go to another post, drag and select more text and click Quote again and it will insert that wherever your text editing cursor was in the reply you were writing. Can add as many as you want that way (from same person or different people). You can drag them around etc later if it didn’t insert where you wanted/expected just by copy + pasting (or select over the whole [quote ] block to the closing [/ quote ] tag, and drag it up or down etc.

Wasn’t that much… 550gb in total including those added direct on C in Community via installer applications that I haven’t moved off. Yeah I do keep backups of the downloads but that 4tb HDD is fine for that. A lot of the freeware airports are tiny file sizes as they use shared assets etc, but I have a lot of them! It’s the PG stuff that takes huge chunks of space up but I didn’t move that to the slow HDD.

Anyway I got more serious issues at the moment :frowning: - think I seen why my performance has suddenly dropped last week but NO IDEA why or how to solve it. My CPU is not being utilised more than 50% for some reason now! Can’t even fly over empty sea today without awful performance! Things have got worse, randomly.

See Task Manager here

Anyone got any ideas?! :confused:

EDIT: the whole lot of downloaded mods I have is only about 800gb for the 2300 items, but yeah I will need 4tb sooner or later - at least!

1 Like

Thanks for the info! I’m at a loss on your 50% CPU issue? I’m a bit of a computer nerd but not that much of a nerd, like others here probably are more knowledgeable. I always yell “virus” but that is my diagnosis for everything.

Probably better (in my case) to get a 2tb NVMe ssd in an enclosure for versatility and get another one in the future when needed. Given that a 4tb NVMe ssd costs more than twice as much as a 2tb.

Yeah exactly - that is not really justifiable. Maybe they will come down but at the moment that is crazy.

1783 add ons and counting…
Only 314 gb but it takes some time for the sim to start up in spite of addons linker. Having fun downloading airports and liveries, but why are some DC-3 liveries over 1 gb?

1 Like

Only had 7 before, got an 8th.
Bleriot. No throttle, no ailerons, no trim, no compass. You can’t let go of the stick when you fly this. Just flew Bleriot’s famous Channel crossing from Calais to Dover. Hard work but great fun, had to have a lie down after it.
Don’t have a Wilga yet, I’m on pc though.

3 Likes

OK cool, I have added your 8th!

Well done on the crossing!! How long did that take? :slight_smile:

Yeah that Blériot is an interesting one, right? Quite fun for a bit. Have you tried the Wright Flyer that came with the 40th Anniversary update yet? (that was a little over 6 weeks ago, so you may not realise it’s a new addition).

I got it on super sale. Flew the Channel. Never flew it again. Still worth every penny for that experience alone.

1 Like

Yup, tried the Wright Flyer, I’m flying my own potted history of aviation. Started with the Wright Flyer, read a bit about it then flew - limited but interesting. He apparently flew 21 miles up the Hudson in 1909, same year as Bleriot.
Crossing took about 30 minutes. Might try the Alps next, that was done in 1910 I think, though it didn’t end well - gotta get my moneys worth!
After the Bleriot I’ll fly the Nieuport with the Eiffel Tower in my sights……then the Tiger Moth.

3 Likes

Nice! Space Shuttle should be out by the time you get to the 80’s then!

1 Like

If I persevere, more like the ‘Enterprise’

1 Like

The game only uses 4 to 6 cores and really hammers the core that runs main thread.

This means on a big modern CPU the game can be CPU limited but only show 50% utilisation. Basically because the main thread core is hitting 100% but overall the CPU reports 50% or less becasue only half a dozen of the 16 or so threads are being used.

Go into dev mode turn on the FPS counter and post us a screen shot so we can see what is happening.

This gets confusing.

In Dev Mode the CPU Main Thread is how long it takes ALL CPU cores to run the calculations to make one frame of gameplay.

The Main Thread is not one core. It is the compiled thread of all required CPU calculations, and how long it takes to run them through per each frame cycle.

I think that is true, but the game is not very good at multitasking so almost all of the calculations in main thread will execute on the one core.

What I recall is the game seems to hit one core/hyper-thread for 90-100% utilisation, uses 4 or 5 other cores/threads but only at 20-30% max and then any extra cores/threads over and above 6 or so are not used at all.

That may have improved with DX12 have not checked recently.

That the Main Thread resides on a single core is a myth.

That one core tends to be worked more than the others is true.

It really gets confusing from there.

Like, often a core is in use, but its task is to wait until another core finishes its calculations so the thread in waiting can take that data and make calculations with said data.

Yeah I get that, and that is what my graphs USED to show until I started getting this LOD problem last week and then slow performance, and the next day I flew it was even worse, and now I can’t even fly over empty ocean as it’s stuttering 15fps where I would normally get my cap of 30, or even 48 when I had cap at that. If I left it uncapped it should get near to 60 over the seas!

I mean, look below, something has BROKEN. The Core 0 used to be maxxed out, but now even with <20% load on the CPU on desktop, it’s reaching 90+ degrees C (core 3 spiking at 100) and the Core 0 is only going to 50/60% of it’s limit. As well as GPU going up and down. It’s dead :frowning: Time for a new PC :partying_face:

Click to see my sad state of affairs (Graphs!)

In game - spiky Miami:

Light scenery that was fine last time I played:

Idle on desktop:
bug-cpu-on-desktop

As soon as I do anything on desktop (just typing in browser):

In my case I have a 16 thread processor but the game never uses more than six at any time, even when limited by main thread.

Both things are true.

The game doesn’t need infinite cores AND the Main Thread is a compilation of all tasks run across all cores in use in order to calculate the data needed to produce one frame of gameplay and how long each frame cycle takes.

At some point, it takes too long and frame rate suffers.

And at some point, no matter how many cores you have, the cores waiting for other cores will add latency, as they are not all running independently, each needs data that is compiled by the others to do the next set of calculations.

There are endless threads about this elsewhere but the TLDR before I get back on topic is this: MSFS is very CPU heavy. More than most games, and it can suffer CPU slowdown like a huge Civilization map, where time itself slows down in the game world… which differs from games that get slowed by the GPU and just suffer lower framerates without the slowing and stoppage of time inside the game world.

You seem to be GPU limited. Particularly by GPU Compute (whatever that is) .

I assume you have tried switching from TAA to DLSS and tried DX11 and DX12.

1 Like

GPU Compute is the white one? All zeros?

I didn’t change any settings though. In fact I have tried making things lower (trees, buildings, less LODs).
DX12 for me was terrible last time I tried so never tried again. I am using DLSS Balanced. TAA is too much for my ultrawide and this hardware but DLSS was “acceptable” (I can look past the artefacts, but it runs pretty smooth… or did!). What do you think I should try then?

I tried a clean install of drivers last time I was on the PC (using DDU), didn’t help, but today it was so much worse. I could fly in non PG areas just fine last time. I see there is new Nvidia drivers out. Worth to try them? (I have RTX2070 so not sure if all the newest ones really do anything for my old card anyway).

Honestly I am so frustrated and upset, I will try anything you suggest. I took to speccing a new PC in desperation as I can’t fly tonight and had the evening to myself.

If I can get this back to how it was a week ago I would be delighted!

Still gonna get a Desktop soon though. You guys can help me pick as I am overwhelmed with the choices! Made a post here :wink: