Your most difficult aircraft?

i run modless , so the A320 because i’m used to the boeing FMS.
A320 pilots will say the same about boeing :smiley:

for the rest having a blast flying whatever plane in MSFS.

1 Like

Has it made it worth buying?

The Wing42 B247 is amazing to try and figure out. You will blow your engines more times than your insurance can handle and the fused will blow up and leave you in perilous situations (gear motor fuse blowing up on final).
Seen other people comment on the Blériot and agree this is a flying broomstick with bed sheets flying. A great challenge on a well modelled plane where you need a factor of luck to cross the Alps safely without ending up in the hospital.
Both are a lot of fun to learn and fly.

1 Like

On xbox so sadly most of these fun things are not available. I’ll buy the 247D and Bleriot the day they drop.

However we do now have Concorde. There’s so much to do and it travels so fast that is certainly difficult to fly while learning it. I feel like I’m the engineer rather than the pilot as I spend most of my time with my head in the panels trying to fiddle with engine and fuel switches, hoping the AP flies me safely as I don’t get much time to watch it. Compared to all my other flights where I always get to enjoy some scenery, I don’t see any of it in Concord! I love being the engineer though, and when I get good at that then I can try being the pilot too.

In terms of take off and landing, the powerful tail draggers, mainly the Spitfire and the Pitts Special were the hardest to learn, took many face plants into the grass verges both on the way up and down to get the hang of those. Very rewarding though.

1 Like

Most difficult to land and stop is the Nieuport 17. It is a 1 cyl. 110 hp Bi-plane with a max altitude of 17000 FT, made of wood and canvas with a wooden prop with no flaps or brakes. It uses chocks to keep the aircraft parked and the Prop has to be hand cranked to start the engine. It is a lot of fun to fly.

Oh and the J31 was no confidence builder for passengers either! I remember flying in them a few times on United Express flights. Thing was twitchy as all get out. PMDG did the J41 which I had but I think different bird to the 31.

For what I have in MSFS now, DC-6. Great airplane but difficult in the amount of time required and things to remember just to get it fired up. When you don’t have a lot of sim time, this is not my aircraft of choice. More of a time/patience thing for me.

1 Like

For me so far are:

Kodiak 100: Really well modelled plane. Took me a while to gain some precision with handflying her and amount of trim + rudder on takeoff and landing. Is like old Ford Transit but with Veyron engine :smiley:

CRJ: For business on arrival and approach and how she is sensitive on final and landing. Building muscle memory can’t be done same condition same weight same speed but each landing will be different even how fast you are reducing power matters. For me most challenging plane to put nicely on a ground but is quite rewarding.

Only steam gauge I’ve used is cessna without “fancy screens”. I have very limited sim time over week if I have only hour is some bushtrip legs with kodiak if slightly more some pilotsLife IFR in CRJ. I will not have a time to learn some management nightmares like DC-6 or beast like Concorde but then my list will look completely different :slight_smile:

I was considering adding the Kodiak to my list. It is indeed very hard to fly so that your passengers have a comfortable flight :slight_smile:

My MOST rewarding aircraft… While not the most difficult aircraft to fly, Try putting the F-14B on the 3rd wire of a visual carrier landing… Once you do that a couple of times… That’s the most rewarding feeling, especially in VR and at night…!!! Ahhhhhhhhh Carrier night ops. :slight_smile: :upside_down_face:

spit ix and corsair - take-off and landing. fly fine.

4 Likes

overall, the DC-6 without using the AFE.

Takeoff and landing the spit.

1 Like

The J41 is a totally different plane indeed, only the ugly white switches are the same…

1 Like

I don’t have a couple of the more challenging planes (as reported by others) I’d like to because they’re not available on Xbox yet - but looking forward to “someday”: DC-6 and B247D.

The BR P-40B is the most challenging for me at the moment due to it’s takeoff & landing characteristics. The nose swing, even with the use of pedals, can be extremely violent if you don’t correct early enough or you let the tail come up too early. Without being able to feel the motion in the seat of the pants it makes it very difficult. Landing is also difficult with this bird but I think it may be due to the elevator feeling like it does not have quite enough authority - at least compared to other tail draggers with large elevators: for example, the FI Spitfire Mk. IX. I’ll never know if these characteristics are over modelled - especially given our lack of physical queues in the sim - because I’ll never fly a real one but it is indeed challenging and thus rewarding when you nail it. Visually the P-40B is stunning so that’s a reward too and helps take a little sting out the “prangs”. :slight_smile:

I quite enjoy this plane. It handles unlike any other plane in MSFS. It takes some work to get used to hand flying. Both takeoff and landing can be challenging. There’s so much rudder and trim work to be done to keep it well coordinated and flying smoothly. I quite enjoy that about it.

Spitfire.

It’s the only one I’ve bought, and the one I’ve tried to fly apart from the c152 and c172.

Can’t take off properly at all… end up just veering off to the left, and if I try and correct, I go crazy hard to the right before veering hard left again… end up having to just pitch up, go full throttle and get airborne while dragging along the ground spinning in a circle lol…

In the air it’s a lot of fun and surprisingly easy to manoeuvre.

Lending is also very tough. I’ve only ever landed this thing once. Most of the time I struggle to keep the nose up, or struggle to slow down after touch down.

Fun in the air, but take off and landing seem crazy.

4 Likes

It’s all technique, doing the right things at the right time. Lots of help in the main Spitfire thread. Once you have the right technique then it’s slightly tricky but certainly achievable.

The quirks make it difficult. The systems are quite simple. Keeping it in the air and flying in the right direction is a challenge.

Definitely worth picking up on sale. If only to cross the Channel with it once.

It is not the type of plane I fly often. But I always enjoy time with it.

PMDG DC-6 …
Some times, so much realism it’s complicated…
And this is not a criticism, it is a compliment and recognition of good design
Congratulations PMDG :+1:

Concorde…its a handful to fly and I love it.

I found it tough at first but now I find take off and landing pretty … easy … no, easy isn’t the right word, but let’s say consistently repeatable.

Some tips…
For TAKE-OFF: set full right rudder trim before setting off (8 degrees or % or whatever the metric is, but 8.0 on the tooltip). EDIT: don’t forget to reset the rudder trim after take-off!

Then gentle on the power, rise it in stages. Never need 100%. Try enough to lift the tail as first stage. Then add 25% more and let the speed build, then 25% more and wait - just focus on gentle rudder correction to keep it straight and don’t over-react. Let the speed build a bit more and that should be enough to get you up.

For LANDING: don’t approach the runway straight. Come in from like 70 degrees and quite close. You need to be confident. Keep the threshold in sight out of your side window.

Keep some power on and drop the flaps (they aren’t really flaps on this thing, it’s a speed brake) when you are really close to threshold - but it will pitch the nose down so be ready to flare at almost the same time. Keep it level but low before touching down gently. If you are low enough when you reach threshold then looking straight again you can eyeball the edges of the runway to make sure you’re still straight.

But doing this a few times you get a feel for the final turning and can be pretty sure you will keep it straight.

Braking is the hardest part as the nose wants to tip at the slightest opportunity!

Best thing is just cut the power and let it roll to a safe below take off speed so that BEFORE you brake you can pull the stick full back without lifting off again, then brake on a cadence on and off until you’re sure nose won’t tip.

Release the brake before coming to dead stop and let it just roll to finally stop still.

Hope it helps!!

2 Likes