Your Percentage of VR vs. "2D" use

I thought about Amazon because they have a great return policy so maybe that’s an option. I’m still worried I won’t be able to tweak it to get the best but thanks for the suggestion.

What’s the issue with VR and airliners vs GA?

In airliners you spend most of the time looking at the instruments in the cockpit. Cockpit looks great in VR (stereoscopic vision) but the windows are rather small, you can’t look back or down at the terrain, so some benefits of VR are not manifesting themselves. In airliner you need IFR charts, you can have them in the VR panel (e.g. Navigraph) but you must adapt to operating them in VR. Even trickier (but still possible) is to copy the clearances on VATSIM (I use Wacom tablet and OpenKneeboard).
While I fly exclusively in VR, for airliners I can understand people preferring triple monitor setup with TrackIR and some H/W panels, especially for multi-hour flights on the autopilot. Of course single monitor setup without TrackIR (or similar tracker) can’t compete at all with VR, due to super limited field of vision.

For GA/VFR flying where you spend most of the time looking outside, VR is simply the best and only the super complex hardware cockpits with huge displays can (barely) compete.

3 Likes

100% vr for me. I just can’t do 2d, I just can’t.

1 Like

I personally don’t see much of any limitation flying IFR in VR vs VFR in VR.
If anything the immersion is 3X more than any triple monitor/track IR setup in IFR conditions as well.
Especially in low visibility weather. I actually feel like I’m in the weather vs flying through multiple 2D boxes with limited head tracking (Track IR is confined to your boxed monitor edges🤣)
As for quick VATSIM jotting and OpenKneeboard I could see it taking longer than 2D when you need to make quick write downs on a pad. Takes some getting used to writing things down on a pad with a VR Controller, but after a while it’s all second nature.
Yea different strokes for different folks I guess, but my HMD doesn’t need to come off of my head for anything regarding IFR. As our thoughtful 3rd party devs have implemented VR functionality for a ton of a chart/pad/map apps.

2 Likes

I guess there are two reasons to play flight sims. Some get the satisfaction of operating a complex, powerful machine. Flat screens probably work fine for those. Others want the sensation of flying. The feeling of otherworldliness tens of thousands of feet above ground and in the clouds, or the sense of speed flying low. For the second group there’s absolutely no point in flying 2D.

4 Likes

100% VR with a valve index. I fly mainly GA but even airliners are better like this. Hold right click to zoom and left click to program FMS. The overhead is much easier in VR and there’s enough buttons on the honeycomb kit for regular use/multi-aircraft buttons and autopilot set up. My Index has active cooling in the frunk so it never gets hot. The off ear audio is very good. If I have one minor issue, it’s the resolution but this headset is 4 years old. Would upgrade to the Varjo but I want to see what the Deckard is like first when it’s [eventually] released as the Index has aged so well. With fsrealistic VR is even better. 2D just doesn’t have a patch on VR for me.

Top tip, a cheap and cheerful usb numpad next to the yoke for your left hand is easy to master in terms of muscle memory and provides plenty of additional buttons to use in VR.

1 Like

100% VR as well

1 Like

What is 2D… Vintage technology?

1 Like

50% VR 50% 2D,
But I am using a 49-inch SuperWide 32:9 - 5K Philips Curved monitor, so 2D is not so bad.

1 Like

Hi,
I have been using VR exclusively for the last five years.
First in X-Plane and then in MSFS and DCS.
Started with the Pimax 5k+, then Valve Index, then Pimax 8kx and now with the Pimax Crystal.
Once you get hooked to VR , then there is no other way any more. At least for me.

2 Likes

99.9% VR 0.1% Flat screen for occasional flight setup.
HP Reverb V2 super-sampled using 4080 & an old i9-9900K @4.9 GHz, still doing the job just great :grin:

1 Like

Very well explained. Would`nt change my motion platform and Pimax chrystal for anything.

First steps in VR with the Quest 3. I haven’t fly in 2D since…But I’ve ordered a 4090 to replace my 3080 :smiley:
I think I’m hooked…

I would go as far as saying you don’t fly in 2D, you watch a screen in front of you showing the image of a cockpit.

Where in VR, you actually get the impression that you are flying the aircraft since you’re inside that same cockpit.

First time I tried a flight sim in VR which was many, many years ago, I immediately realized I won’t be doing any more flying in 2D. That was with the Oculus Rift CV1 I think it was called.

Today, I still have the same amazing experience. Only now, I have it with graphics thanks to MSFS and image quality thanks to Varjo Aero I could only dream of back then.

To answer the question in the topic, the percentage will differ depending on how long my flight is. See, I always do all the preflight stuff in 2D and once ready for pushback, I switch to VR.

In cruise, I simply monitor the flight in 2D or occasionally switch to VR to enjoy a beautiful scene. When getting close to my T/D, I start setting up for the approach and arrival and once reaching T/D, I again monitor everything in 2D and at around FL150 or thereabout, I switch to VR and stay in VR until reaching the gate.

IMO, there are very few things that could compete with VR when it comes to increased immersion and sense of realism within the flight sim arena.

1 Like

That’s an awesome setup! Brunner stuff is top notch. I see mostly Desktop Pilot controls except for the V3RNIO, which is about 10x in $$$ more than the Desktop Pilot TPM. Curious why you went that route?

Since upgrading from the Quest2 to the Pimax Crystal I find myself flying VR more and more, before it was 50/50, now more like 75% in VR. And now, awaiting for delivery of a new 4090 card (replacing 3080ti), I suspect flying in VR will be up over 90% of the time…. I still use 2D for tube liners while on Vatsim.

2 Likes

I used Desktop Pilot (very cheap and low quality panels) just for buttons in order to practice check lists and emergency) For flight controls, i am using high quality products :slight_smile: Brunner for yoke and pedals, V3RNIO fo TPM and FlightIllusion for trim

1 Like

Great poll! I’d say 99%VR. It’s the best way for the home enthusiasts to recreate the sensation of RL flying. Game changer. Most of my flying is IFR (80%) so an EFB is essential with Navigraph subscription. Originally that steered me away from airframes that didn’t include one (Fenix was awesome being one of the first to include it for the VR flyer) but with the All-in-one tablet this reopened my hangar. Using the Varjo Aero. Lately my PC has been rebooting during flight so I have a new 1000w PSU that should hopefully do the trick. :crossed_fingers:t2:

1 Like

Depends. As long as VR works mostly VR, but as the whole thing is very inconsistent and breaks periodically for no apparent reason, it’s an on/off thing. Sometimes I just don’t have the patience to fiddle around and find out what is broken this time.

1 Like