You're on a domestic flight and the captain and first officer become incapacitated. Announcement comes across, "is there a pilot onboard?"

You’re cruising straight and level at FL350 in an A320. To what extent, honestly, do you believe you could operate the instruments and radios with proficiency, and more importantly, land safely? Curious to hear from those with zero real-world flight hours but who play the sim with respect to realism.

There have been a number of trials on this subject (obviously not with a real plane, but with real training simulators). Check out youtube for some of those.

First reaction when arriving in the cockpit: “Let me through, I’m a flight simmer! Hmmm, wait a moment… those clouds look funny! Have they been downgraded?! And what about that tree down there, that looks a little bit too tall! And hey! FPS drop, FPS droooooop…!”

:slight_smile:

19 Likes

Hold my beer. I’m a simmer.

4 Likes

The very question is being discussed in a FSA webinar tomorrow at 2000z: Cross-Community Panel Discussion: Can Flight Sim Impact Real-World Aviation? Will also be viewable on the Turtle Beach Discord amongst others.

In my case, I think I could technically, i.e. know where stuff is if exact same as the in sim layout. Whether I’d manage to cope with the stress of the situation/knowing lives are at stake, don’t know, that is one factor you cannot simulate really

1 Like

Pity the sim doesn’t detail where the beers are kept, because if I’m in charge of the flight deck, given my performance in the sim, myself and everyone else on board will need them.

1 Like

" don’t call me shirley "

4 Likes

Just get ATC on whatsapp and press the ‘land’ button.

Reminds me of this: Airplane! (1980) "BTW, is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane...?" - YouTube

Not a real world pilot but have discussed this at length in regards to other flight sims (DCS)

• The likelihood of both pilots becoming incapacitated is extremely small. It’s also why they get served different food from the rest of the passengers or so i’ve heard.
  • Theres a good chance there’s already someone on the plane has a ATP or PPL license
  • Flight Sims teach you instrument and procedure familiarity. It doesn’t teach you how to fly
  • Even if it got to that point and it’s you in the pilot seat with out flight sim experience, you’re gonna be sh**ing bricks because there’s no active pause in real life and there are consequences for crashes (like dying). But hey, at least you’re gonna die flying a proper study-level plane.
  • Something i don’t think people think about but the Cockpit doors lock from the inside. If both pilots are down, how are you even gonna get onto the flight deck?

Anyway i’m not saying it’s impossible, just improbable

1 Like

:laughing:

From what I’ve heard there are procedures in place for situations like this one. Flight attendants basically send a request to the cockpit to open the door; if it’s not denied in time, the door is opened.

Except for the flight simmers that are actually airline pilots, no…no simmer can jump into the cockpit and get the plane on the ground unassisted. I may very well catch some flak for this statement, but those that think they can are sadly wrong IMHO.

That said, we are much better prepared than the average Joe if the situation were to ever come up. So, from that perspective, we would have the best chances of saving life and limb if we had the proper guidance from the ground.

Just my two cents…

1 Like

" Even if it got to that point and it’s you in the pilot seat with out flight sim experience, you’re gonna be sh**ing bricks because there’s no active pause in real life and there are consequences for crashes (like dying). But hey, at least you’re gonna die flying a proper study-level plane."

:rofl:

2 Likes

The realism is insane.

The stress of the situation would most likely get the best of people and would make it extremely difficult. For people who are extremely knowledgeable with that particular plane and can handle high stress situations, maybe then they could get the plan on the ground in one piece…maybe.

An individual who has “flown” an airliner for two decades, and has built a home cockpit, and knows how to communicate with ATC and Tower, landing a real turbine-powered airliner with passengers onboard screaming, “We’re going to die!”… is that the question?

Screen Shot 2021-08-02 at 6.19.59 PM

I’m glad no one has raised this point yet… can you land? → only if you’ve been simming in VR :slight_smile:

btw, this will be a fun topic to watch haha

Knowing my luck as soon as I sat down at the flight controls we’d have a CTD :frowning:

All this reality is really ruining the immersion.

Most importantly all pilots receive different food than each other pilot - there wouldn’t be much use if all pilots would get sick because of some fish poisoning and all passengers are happily eating their chicken :wink: